1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

F-ing creepy crawlies

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Pardon me cos i really desperately need help...

There are a lot of creepy crawlies in my tank and how shld get rid of them ???

i heard that they are shrimps killers and I have remove all fishes and shrimps from that tank preparing for massacre.

I have tested n used all methods but it just dont work.

1) make sure no leftover food.
    2) regular dose of that solution recommended by lfs.
    3) literally sucking them up everyday unless I come back late.
    Even set up those trap to trap them.

What else can I do?

really feel like pouring the whole bottle of detol pure detol solution with no water added cycled them for weeks let them die......

gggrrrrrrrrr....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: F-ing creepy crawlies

Could you provide some photos of these creepy crawlers for us to identify?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ok can I catch some and post a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Tomorrow is a holiday and is a good day to settle this. My son very cute give them ultimatum last nite. Says that if they are not going to move out my daddy will chase you out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Folks manage to take a video of it and hope u guys can see if really can't will try to catch 1 up but I dun have a good cam to take macro.
    https://mega.co.nz/#!z8xBlZLQ!CL7dHq...c4aIg_n4u4DlNk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I managed to download the video to have a quick looksee... luckily i got fiber broadband.

That looks like a seed shrimp or scud, they probably hitchhiked on plants that were introduced into your tank. They are generally harmless but do tend to compete for food with your shrimps, and their numbers grow very fast especially when there is overfeeding.

Small quick fishes usually hunt and snack on them, though larger fishes tend to ignore them (i guess its too much effort to chase those fast moving critters).... btw, what fishes do you have?

They thrive in the same conditions as shrimps (both are inverts anyways), but are much more hardy and multiply way faster. The way to eradicate them is to make the tank super inhospitable to inverts. Chemical treatments can work, but if just a few manage to survive they will re-populate again, so i think best is to just do a full tank tear-down, wash all the equipment thoroughly and let them dry under the sun, do not reuse any of the plants and soil and just totally restart the tank.

In the future, try to clean and quarantine plants before adding them to your tank.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 17th Apr 2014 at 23:33.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

OMG... Need to go to tat extend? Is there any other way? When u talk about chem treatment what chem is that? Harmful to the fishes?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Can try copper-based treatments/medications... copper kills inverts very quickly. There are specific treatments for killing those critters too, can check at most LFS. You'll need to really make sure all of them are dead though, cannot allow just one to survive hiding inside the substrate (tough to know for sure unless you can somehow remove the entire substrate to check), as they can clone themselves and eventually create an infestation all over again.

Only thing with using strong chemicals is you'll need to make the tank safe for the shrimps and fishes again after that, so have to weigh the pros and cons.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I will becareful and find alternative tank to house them. By the way how do we know when the entire substrate is removed ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I am unable to see the video. If they are seed shrimps. You may want to put a guppy in and let the guppy eat the seed shrimps. Well, make sure the guppy is hungry

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

No use cos I have another tank also have this thinggy. Inside the tank got guppy they also did not eat them.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by instinctloh View Post
    I will becareful and find alternative tank to house them. By the way how do we know when the entire substrate is removed ?
    That's the tricky part... you'll never know for sure (unless the tank is totally de-comm and restarted), so just have to monitor and hope none survived to reproduce again.

Quote Originally Posted by instinctloh View Post
    No use cos I have another tank also have this thinggy. Inside the tank got guppy they also did not eat them.
    Your fishes are probably too well fed so no incentive to hunt, it's much easier to eat pellets and wafers then having to chase those pesky critters around.

Just for reference, i only feed my fishes once every 3 days (which also prevents overfeeding), the rest of the time they are actively hunting amongst the plants and substrate for critters, so they help keep my tanks free of pests.

Too few fishes may also not make much of a dent in the critter population if they are reproducing faster than they are eaten, so increasing the fish count might help too.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wow once every 3 days. Ok I will try to use this method since the critters are not harmful to the fishes. Thks will try.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Last question what kind of fish can keep with the shrimplets? Can I keep tetra ?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Small non-aggressive fishes with mouths smaller than adult shrimps can usually be kept with shrimps... tetras are fine, they usually wouldn't bother adult shrimps, but like most fishes will occasionally snack on shrimplets.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

No fish is safe with shrimplets... Except oto. Lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If it's scuds and they are multiplying like crazy, I think it's best to take out all fauna, and nuke the tank with copper-based treatments. Leave it for a day, carry water changes and see if any survives, if not continue nuking till all are dead. Then carry out more water changes and slowly reintroduce your fauna back in. Careful to clean your tank of residual chemicals! If not your shrimps gonna get killed too.

If you are not breeding the shrimps, tetras are generally safe but I do see my cardinals 'poking' my shrimps once in awhile. The only fish that are 100% safe are Otocinclus. Dwarf Corydoras such as Pygmaeus, Habrosus and Hastatus I would probably say a 90% rate. I do not have shrimplets yet but the Cories generally do not bother my shrimp at all like my other tetras.

If you wish to maximise your shrimp colony without losing anyone to potential predation then it's best to keep Otto with your shrimps.
    Ants of the Aquatic World (Upcoming blog!)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bros here offered great ways to eradicate these scuds.

What I did previously in my crs tank was using mosquito rasboras. 50 of them for a heavily-infested 2 feeter, and most seems to be taken care of within a week or so.

2cents with For you to consider. 👍

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, I have decided to remove everything and even the soil. I am wondering by sunning the soil is tat enuf to remove those crawles? Can feel like reuse the soil cos is sooooo new else is so wasted to throw away.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Rinsing and drying out the soil for a few days will help... that will usually eliminate most of the critters.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast