Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Planting Tropica 1-2-Grow!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I bought Tropica 1-2-Grow! Utricularia gramminifolia and Eleocharis sp. mini plants. These plants are grown using tissue culture using a growth medium. Does anyone have experience planting these? Do I wash all the medium away? And how should I divide the plants for planting? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Planting Tropica 1-2-Grow!

Wash away the jelly like stuff and cut it into small portion and insert into the substrate. Just turn the tub over and have the whole bunch of tissues culture on your palm and rinse it through running water. The jelly stuff comes off very easy with gentle rubbing on its surface.

UG has a tendency to float up, tried twice previously, going to give it a third attempt this weekend, Eleocharis sp mini is easier, just insert it deeper.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by gregyeoh View Post
    I bought Tropica 1-2-Grow! Utricularia gramminifolia and Eleocharis sp. mini plants. These plants are grown using tissue culture using a growth medium. Does anyone have experience planting these? Do I wash all the medium away? And how should I divide the plants for planting? Thanks!

You can also check out tropica's page on youtube. There are also links on their page leading to the videos of planting techniques. If I remember correctly, they have a portion of a video showing the removal of the jelly as well.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
    Wash away the jelly like stuff and cut it into small portion and insert into the substrate. Just turn the tub over and have the whole bunch of tissues culture on your palm and rinse it through running water. The jelly stuff comes off very easy with gentle rubbing on its surface.

UG has a tendency to float up, tried twice previously, going to give it a third attempt this weekend, Eleocharis sp mini is easier, just insert it deeper.
    Thanks for the tips! How many leaves of UG/HG per bunch do u plant into the substrate? And what soil did you use when planting UG?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Planting Tropica 1-2-Grow!

Quote Originally Posted by apek19 View Post
    You can also check out tropica's page on youtube. There are also links on their page leading to the videos of planting techniques. If I remember correctly, they have a portion of a video showing the removal of the jelly as well.

Checked out the page and learnt some techniques, thanks! Do you have any personal experience with planting UG/HG?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Try to wash away as much of the gel as possible before separating and planting them, the gel has very high nutrient content so any residual amounts that get into the tank can sometimes cause a fungus/mold bloom around the substrate area (its temporary but looks unsightly).

Also try to separate the plants into as small bunches as possible too, best if each bunch is only 2-3 stalks, takes abit more time but then it'll be able to cover a wider area more evenly and each individual plant will have more contact with the soil to establish faster and with less initial melting.

Check out George Farmer's "one pot iwagumi challenge" thread at the UKAPS forum, he only use one Tropica 1-2-Grow pot to carpet a 2ft tank:

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/g...allenge.29695/

:: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

interesting...thanks on the info. i wanted to get HC gorwn in this method but the price put me off.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi gregyeoh, any update of the grow? I actually interested of ug but drop the idea after I heard that it not easy to plant. Would love to see it's grow....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi lukeskwr, I'm in the same situation as you before.

Hearing a cup cost $14 put me off initially but I still grab some HC 'Cuba' and Eleocharis sp. min in the end to try. Reason is I'm starting a new tank so knowing these plants would not carry any snail eggs that could be a pest to me as they are lab cultivated and they are also free from pesticides and algae, so washing is a peace of mind too.

You would also be surprise after opening the cup, the plants are very densely packed and the color looks very healthy. Cleaning is also very easy, just need to rinse the jelly off the roots. The only issue I have was dividing them into smaller portion as they are densely packed which I don't think anyone would mind 😄. Dense means more... 😜

Also notice some differences on the HC that I have purchased as compare to the normal LFS type. They are greener (brighter), almost 0 dying leaves (those yellow leaves) and you don't see much "brown" root on them which it make my planting easier.

Now after a week of planting, I am satisfied and happy.. The plants seems to grow well ...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How is your Eleocharis sp 'mini' growing. Previously mine was growing quite nicely, but something happentd to my talk, not they are not growing that well. Sigh.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If there are lack of certain nutrients, Eleocharis sp 'mini' (like most plants) will respond with poor growth and faded colors... they also get affected by chemical medications or treatments too.

Once sufficient nutrients are replenished and any treatments are cleared, the sp. mini will recover back and grow nicely again.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by rc311 View Post
    Hi gregyeoh, any update of the grow? I actually interested of ug but drop the idea after I heard that it not easy to plant. Would love to see it's grow....
    I post updates on this thread

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...-Iwagumi-Scape

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by composition View Post
    How is your Eleocharis sp 'mini' growing. Previously mine was growing quite nicely, but something happentd to my talk, not they are not growing that well. Sigh.
    Actually I left them in the tub for abt 10 days and just planted them in an emersed setup yesterday. I'll update soon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My UG failed miserably. All "disappeared" after three days. Even those that I "sandwiched" between meshes were gone and left with meshes only. I'm very puzzled, suspect otto and SAE eating them haha.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I want to try the monte carlo, any bros here succeed on these tropica 1-2 grow

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My Monte Carlo is growing quite well. No issues with them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mer2623 View Post
    I want to try the monte carlo, any bros here succeed on these tropica 1-2 grow

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Pretty easy to grow, but I got them from a bro here- tatguy, I think he should have more MC to sell.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Try to wash away as much of the gel as possible before separating and planting them, the gel has very high nutrient content so any residual amounts that get into the tank can sometimes cause a fungus/mold bloom around the substrate area (its temporary but looks unsightly).

Also try to separate the plants into as small bunches as possible too, best if each bunch is only 2-3 stalks, takes abit more time but then it'll be able to cover a wider area more evenly and each individual plant will have more contact with the soil to establish faster and with less initial melting.

Check out George Farmer's "one pot iwagumi challenge" thread at the UKAPS forum, he only use one Tropica 1-2-Grow pot to carpet a 2ft tank:

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/g...allenge.29695/

Planted guru! I need some advice bro. Recently started my shrimp tank and I got a pot of 1-2 grow but the bottom jelly was brown and stuck to the roots. I did my best to was off but I can still feel it when I planted it in. I'm concern about this because I'm going to keep shrimp and they are sensitive. What do u suggest???

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eugenecj View Post
    Planted guru! I need some advice bro. Recently started my shrimp tank and I got a pot of 1-2 grow but the bottom jelly was brown and stuck to the roots. I did my best to was off but I can still feel it when I planted it in. I'm concern about this because I'm going to keep shrimp and they are sensitive. What do u suggest???
    The residual nutrient gel wouldn't be a problem for the shrimps... its just some additional nutrients to sustain the plants while they are sitting on the LFS retail shelves. At most you might see some white mold around the substrate (similar to leftover food getting mold on them), but it will disappear after a short period of time.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    The residual nutrient gel wouldn't be a problem for the shrimps... its just some additional nutrients to sustain the plants while they are sitting on the LFS retail shelves. At most you might see some white mold around the substrate (similar to leftover food getting mold on them), but it will disappear after a short period of time.
    Thanks for the advice mate!