Country
    Singapore

Re: DIY Chiller Set

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by IrvineChen View Post
    I muz say the diy chiller work for my 1 feet nano tank...
    temperature drop to 23 degree lowest, and gradually increase to 25 degree over 7-8 hr

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
    Hi IrvineChen, I like yr post on DIY.
    Just wonder what is the optimal tank size (or max volume ) for the use of TEC chiller (before getting into compression type) in local climate to achieve say 23-24deg C?

Say if we would to use 30 or 40amp 12v power supply, could it not support 2 chilling Coil sets which have its own fans and have 2 sets of 8mm water piping for the tank?

This is like tantamount to using 2 TEC chillers (each has mft spec of 40lit max) to support one larger tank, with one controller/temp probe. 2 TEC chillers still cost less than 1 Gas comp chiller.

What's yr thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by MCE View Post
    Hi IrvineChen, I like yr post on DIY.
    Just wonder what is the optimal tank size (or max volume ) for the use of TEC chiller (before getting into compression type) in local climate to achieve say 23-24deg C?

Say if we would to use 30 or 40amp 12v power supply, could it not support 2 chilling Coil sets which have its own fans and have 2 sets of 8mm water piping for the tank?

This is like tantamount to using 2 TEC chillers (each has mft spec of 40lit max) to support one larger tank, with one controller/temp probe. 2 TEC chillers still cost less than 1 Gas comp chiller.

What's yr thought?

2 TEC chiller will cause yr electrical bill to shoot high...

I prefer to use the DIY style for tank smaller than 1 feet, or 16 litre....
    easiler to handle, and the flung in temperate is not that difficult to handle

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, the electricity bill is high, and the different of 1 degree ie between settings of 24 and 25 degree was quite a lot on the TEC chiller.
    It cost more than $10-15 per mount for 1 deg C different at total cost of approx $40(??). The lady boss notice from the monthly pub bill!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mavryan View Post
    I read thru many website and they all said aluminium is bad for fishes, thus I am not sure this chiller design is good.
    If the water block is stainless steel or titanium material will be perfect.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    I using blueice... so the electrical bill didn't affect much.. since the freezer at home is running alway...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

wow i will combine blue ice method with my current TEC. hopes the TEC wont kick in so often and waste electric.
    thanks bro. as i need to cool down 3 1.5ft tanks. my TEC is working very hard... lolx

btw at 23-24 water condensation is very heavy. cant see anything in the tank...lolx
    at 25 seems OK.

thanks bro

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by johnchor View Post
    wow i will combine blue ice method with my current TEC. hopes the TEC wont kick in so often and waste electric.
    thanks bro. as i need to cool down 3 1.5ft tanks. my TEC is working very hard... lolx

btw at 23-24 water condensation is very heavy. cant see anything in the tank...lolx
    at 25 seems OK.

thanks bro
    you have install a thermostate for the TEC? What's the wattage? 1 of the TEC able to support 3 1.5 feet tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi bro

i ordered a external themosat with power supply and temp sensor from taobao. $16
    tec is a 2nd hand 225w 3peilter Dolphin mc790 modified with 3x12cm dc fans from simlim tower $12 each.
    3 heatsink remains unchanged.

i just removed the original dolphin top casing and the 3x70mm stupid weak fans.
    yes it can cool down 3 1.5ft gex deskboy tanks. for 1 tank it can reach 16 degrees if running 24x7.
    now it runs 10.5 hours for 3 tanks at 26-24 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by IrvineChen View Post
    you have install a thermostate for the TEC? What's the wattage? 1 of the TEC able to support 3 1.5 feet tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

sorry forgot 1 thing.

i have insulated all the 3 tanks with 1 inch thick styrofoam board.
    bottom side back and even top. this helps to stablize cool temp for longer time.

but i wanted to save electric, so i think blue-ice can help alot if i dump one piece into by bottom tank everyday before i go work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123