Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thread Algae problem

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    The algae has been appearing in this tank since 1 month ago. Been trying to get rid of them by adding seachem excel but I guess that is not the solution.

Should I introduce more plants to compete for the nutrients? I suspect it might be the humic soil that I added recently that cause the spike. And another thing is that water PH is at 5.5 uploadfromtaptalk1398163058632.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: thread Algae problem

We need to know your tank size, light type, light duration, co2 or non co2, filter model, and how frequent you clean the filter and water change. Introduce amano shrimps might help

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oops. Okay here it goes:

Tank size: 36cm x 30 X 30
    Light type: UP led series z 45cm (0.05w/led)
    Light duration: 8hrs
    No co2 used
    Hob filter
    Filter cleaning & water change: weekly, water change 10%

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Do more frequent and larger water changes, helps flush out the excess nutrients that your plants are not using. Reduce the lighting period or raise the height of the light. Clean the filter and manually remove as much of the hair algae with a toothbrush or cleaning brush (just twirl it around the algae strands and pull them out).

Dosing excel can help to reduce the algae but you'll need to overdose alot to get any noticeable effect (though the overdosed may also affect the moss)... better to balance the tank parameters first, before resorting to chemical treatments.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 22nd Apr 2014 at 21:56.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I had this algae problem too for the whole of last year.

Did carefully weighted fertilization using EI dosage, very frequent water change (50% 3x a week or when detect slightest NH3 or N03 at above 20ppm), frequent water testing for NH3,NO2 and NO3, dose Seachem Excel to supplement my C02 injection based on 1º pH drop from 6.5 to 5.5, add a UV after the canister filter, added 3 ceramic diffusers, provide O2 via air pump when lights off, add 3 wavemaker pumps to circulate water, add a Eheim 1046 external pump to boost flow of my Eheim 2217, used anti-algae chemicals at one stage and manual removal of algae. I even thought of getting the twinstar product for $250 a piece, luckily I didn't.

And still algae keep growing. I did plant heavily from the start, to a point I cannot see most of my 100 cardinal tetras. My plants grew fast and bi-weekly trimming is a must.

My setup is 250L 2ftx2ftx2.5ft high tank with 4 led strips containing 8x3w led each with most LEDs with 15º lens. I have a large driftwood packed with Java fern, African fern, Xmas moss, mini Xmass moss, java moss, petite nana and others. Water is controlled by a chiller at 25ºC.

I was at a loss then. After thinking very hard, decided to reduce photoperiod from 8hrs to 4hrs and notice algae growth slowdown slightly. Since I like to have my tank lighted when I'm home, I switch to increase photoperiod to 6hrs but switch off 2 LED strips. Things improved but algae still grew but at slower pace, while I still doing all the above things as mentioned.

Only when I removed driftwood, did a minor rescape with smaller spider-like driftwood and a 3D background, all this with my livestock in the tank, did the Thread/hair algae disappear until now, 6 months on. Also did a revamp of the LEDs using a Arduino to control lights to ramp up and down in a 12hr period cycle.

So, for my setup the light intensity is too much and driftwood was slowly rotting and leeching NH3. My LEDs is rated at 3W each at 6500k colour rating for a total of 96W. At 180lm-200lm light intensity each that's alot of light. I thought I required a lot of light for my HC to grow since my tank depth from light to HC is about 2.2ft deep, I was wrong.

My LEDs from day one I DIYed. Sorry for the extra long post but essentially if you have been doing the right dosage and frequent WC, the next best thing is to reduce your light intensity by raising your lights from your water surface if possible and reduce your photo-period. Add Seachem Excel as per dosage. Over dosing as mentioned will melt your moss and if you have shrimps will kill them. I had many deaths due to this.

Try save up for a Co2 set if you want to keep a planted tank.

Do try and let us know.
    Last edited by greenie; 22nd Apr 2014 at 23:38.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks guys. I will start with the frequent water change and reduce the photo period methods and update on the progress.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Denmark

Wow. Bro greenie, great efforts!!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by surreal1228 View Post
    Wow. Bro greenie, great efforts!!
    That's the least I could do then since already spent so much time and $$$$ on the setup.