Country
    Singapore

keeping 2 pairs of macs in a 4 foot tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I was wondering if it is possible to house 2 pairs of macrostomas (1st pair introduced a week ago from sarawak, 2nd pair coming this weekend from brunei) in one 4 feet, planted tank? Or would it be possible to keep the new pair in a 1 feet tank? Your comments are very much appreciated!

Jack

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: keeping 2 pairs of macs in a 4 foot tank

I personally think it would be better to keep two pairs in the 4 feet tank than the new pair in a 1 feet tank. As long as your tank has a lot of cover (since you stated it is a planted tank, I will assume it has), it will be able to break the fishes line of sight and they can form their own territories.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

lucasjiang, Thank you very much for the speedy reply! Alright, now I can have peace of mind keeping them in the same tank. I will add even more vegetation for them so that they can seek refuge.

Warmest Regards
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by lucasjiang View Post
    I personally think it would be better to keep two pairs in the 4 feet tank than the new pair in a 1 feet tank. As long as your tank has a lot of cover (since you stated it is a planted tank, I will assume it has), it will be able to break the fishes line of sight and they can form their own territories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hahaha bro Lucas.what if somebody go the other side how?ok anyway put leaves better IMO.planted tank I think not so good.in natural habitat only a small few meters pool.how they seperate?fight it out?left one pair.so should be one pair take one leaf as territory.but both is ok.only when got fry.something will happen.u won't like it.for both setup also fry will be eaten.so best seperate lo.or divider?but then if u not planning on breeding then ok ba.
    wild bettas,Shellies,herptiles,mudskippers,shrimps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yr brunei one come from where?may not be authentic leh bro.unless really catch form brunei.u should post a pic.we can help see real or sarawak
    wild bettas,Shellies,herptiles,mudskippers,shrimps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Can I enquire what is the ideal water temperature to raise Macrostomas well? I read somewhere about their need for cool water but perhaps seasoned players can advice on this aspect?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hey bros, an update. Decided not to get the 2nd pair...as after thinking it through, i don't think its ideal for my current pair to add another to the competition. And yes, i think too much vegetation and hiding places also caused an issue for my case.

The pair will only be out in the open (and be visible) when its its feeding time. Other than that, they seldom show themselves... Other than this issue of being reclusive, they seems reasonably healthy.

And Josiah, I'm no pro, but I'm keeping them in a chilled tank between 25-27 degrees celsius. Water is fluctuates between 6-6.5, depending on when my lights and CO2 is on. Its a bare-bottom but planted tank, and i try to keep the base clean by siphoning visible debris every weekend.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the reply. So I am assuming that I would need to make the inevitable adjustment of hooking macrostoma tank with a chiller.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm, it's just that our local climate is getting unbearably hot. Perhaps can also consider hooking up other devices would also help (fans)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by blu3her0 View Post
    Hmm, it's just that our local climate is getting unbearably hot. Perhaps can also consider hooking up other devices would also help (fans)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I doubt the fans are able to bring down the water temperature to the ideal temperature that I am achieving.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It's all depend on what are our objective for keeping this "threaten" species. Wild caught Mac came from cold climate /environment will not survive long in tropical hot climate of Singapore without chiller.
    CBred may survive without chiller but again why keep them if we cannot provide the suitable Temperature for them to flourish .,,they may not look as good in environment that do not suit them.
    Even the experienced LFS are not keeping or stocking Mac as the casualty rate is extremely high and they do not make profit ...
    Those wild caught usually come with bacterial that have to be treated...
    In America there is this Species Maintenance Program of IBC aim to grow the species by giving out Macrostoma to experienced breeders. Recently an Italian aquarist freely gave away Mac in Betta show in Germany to grow the population...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thought my affinity with macs haven ended, when my macs died. Just received a pair of Brunei macs from a friend. Life is full of texts and turns.

Currently held in this low-profile 3 footer:Attachment 44366

They are still in hiding (day 3), though they were hunting down the Malayan shrimps and Yamatos. Hopefully they will be tempted to eat their dried food soon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    South Korea

That is a very nice tank.... your macs will love you.

Do you have a separate thread on that tank? Would love to take a look at how much effort it takes to create one.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks dude! Its a messy tank, just threw in lots of bucephalandra clumps at the bottom (some tied to lava rocks, drift wood, bog wood, majority just lay at the bottom). Sadly, i don't, though I have some pictures on the tank's progress. Maybe I'll create a thread later on when I can.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just starting to get interested in Macs, any updates since OCT?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sadly, they passed on due to velvet...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry to hear that, what's velvet?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Okie, searched online and found out its one of the many betta diseases.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, found out they are susceptible, and often succumb to it.