1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Help!!! Shrimp tank with high nitrate level

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi bros!! Need some tips on how to reduce nitrate level fast and effectively. The nitrate level in my shrimp tank is at 80ppm and I'm fearing something might happen if I don't react now. Frequent water change ain't helping. Currently rearing crs and cherry.

Tds 150-170
    Ph 6.6
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrate 0
    Nitrate 80
    Temp 26-27
    Gh 6
    Kh 2

2ft tank low profile tank (Approx 30l)
    Ehiem 2213
    Up t series led light

Shi fu(s) please save my shrimps!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help!!! Shrimp tank with high nitrate level

I using ANS Clearmax bought from Clementi.... The specification written it will clear Nitrate... I have it in all my tank....

I also saw at Yishun got Nitrate Zero (Liquid bottle), the uncle say efficient for removing of the Nitrate also...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ain't working bro 20% water change every week

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm also facing the same problem with my tank, just tested the nitrate level today and it was bright red. Some suggest using high nitrate sucking plants like hornwort, natans, frogbits. Should lower the level in 2 weeks.

I'm suspecting my nitrate level is due to the ADA Soil I'm using.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    I'm also facing the same problem with my tank, just tested the nitrate level today and it was bright red. Some suggest using high nitrate sucking plants like hornwort, natans, frogbits. Should lower the level in 2 weeks.

I'm suspecting my nitrate level is due to the ADA Soil I'm using.
    I'm using ADA soil as well. Does purigen help?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Could it be from the tap water... I heard someone highlight that their tap water Nitrate level is high, and they had been sourcing for the nitrate issue for weeks... Then notice it's actually the tap water issue...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just offering my 2 cents suggestion.

You can try adding in bamboo or mangrove into your tank to reduce nitrate. This is what I've done and so far I'm not having any issue with my shrimps for the last 2 months or so. I've added bamboo bought during Chinese new year. Since then the roots had grow quite a fair bit. I've not make any measurement for ammonia or nitrate or anything likewise. Since the shrimps are still alive (before adding the bamboo, I get dead shrimps every other day).

I've not done anything different (before and after adding the bamboo) so I guess it is working.

Hope this helps you.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Darick View Post
    Just offering my 2 cents suggestion.

You can try adding in bamboo or mangrove into your tank to reduce nitrate. This is what I've done and so far I'm not having any issue with my shrimps for the last 2 months or so. I've added bamboo bought during Chinese new year. Since then the roots had grow quite a fair bit. I've not make any measurement for ammonia or nitrate or anything likewise. Since the shrimps are still alive (before adding the bamboo, I get dead shrimps every other day).

I've not done anything different (before and after adding the bamboo) so I guess it is working.

Hope this helps you.
    Hi Darick, you mean putting the bamboo stick into the tank? Never heard before... But how long(length) is needed for the bamboo?

But hard to find bamboo now also... Go China order... Laughing out loud.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Lerai View Post
    I'm using ADA soil as well. Does purigen help?

have yet to try, maybe the pros can advise. But most threads I read about reducing nitrate all seem to suggest large water changes and adding plants. Not sure if there are other methods.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Lerai View Post
    Ain't working bro 20% water change every week
    20% water change a week isn't considered frequent water change... at least not enough to reduce high nitrate levels.

You have to note that if your nitrate level is 80ppm and you only do 20% water change, it only reduce it to 80ppm x 80% = 64ppm, then after a week with all the accumulated feeding and waste production, the nitrates build up more and the nitrate levels keep climbing higher.

If your shrimps are okay and not dying at the moment, then you can gradually lower the nitrate level by doing a series of 20% water changes over the course of the week (maybe spread out the water changes every 3 days), so that each time the nitrates reduce but the water conditions don't fluctuate too much (the shrimps have time to get used to any changes)... once you achieve the target lower nitrate levels then can stop the water changes and revert back to your regular maintenance routine.

I guess your tank is the typical shimp tank layout with very few plants (or mainly slow growing types) and alot of feeding, so its expected for such conditions to develop. With such setups, you'll really need to avoid overfeeding and remove any uneaten food quickly.

As others have suggested, using fast growing nitrate absorbing plants is good too... though i notice that shrimp keepers tend to keep plants at a bare minimum because they want to constantly see their shrimps.

Purigen helps to remove excess organic compounds that contribute to nitrate production, so you can use that too, but it does have a limited adsorption lifespan so you need to monitor the levels regularly to know when to replace and recharge it.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by IrvineChen View Post
    Hi Darick, you mean putting the bamboo stick into the tank? Never heard before... But how long(length) is needed for the bamboo?

The 4 bamboo that I've gotten is around 18" in height. Meant in for other things during Chinese new year and end up in my tank. lol

Length of the bamboo is not what you are after. I don't think the length helps reduce nitrate but instead the roots of the bamboo that helps to export nutrients from the water (fresh and salt water). My bamboo have since grow many leaves (started with tiny bit of growth).

In general, plants that grow outside water tends to absorb nitrate faster compare to those submerge. I could be wrong but this is my understanding. Submerge plants cannot growth as well without having to inject enough co2 and lights will also need to be strong to penetrate the water level to reach the plant. I've not provided my bamboo with any additional lighting source. Just the usual daylight in the room and they are all growing well and rooting very well. So far no dry/dead leave yet. lol.

I won't use bamboo if I'm looking into aquascaping like many experts do. I'm no expert but I do try to test information that I've gotten from anyone and any forum if possible. But using bamboo is not that presentable in my view.

Maybe someone with more experience than me doing for 2 months can share.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by IrvineChen View Post

He is referring to using Dracaena Sanderiana (aka lucky bamboo), the ones people buy during chinese new year in pots decorated with gold ribbons and often with stems twisted together in elaborate patterns... they are actually a house plant but can tolerate their roots submersed in water, though their leaves must be kept above water. Can find them at most plant nurseries and florist shops (Far East Flora/Goodwood at Thomson have lots of different variants in stock).

Here is an example if it in a betta bowl:

Source: http://www.ocreef.com/bamboo_plant

I've personally kept lucky bamboo in a glass vase for many years too, they are super hardy (as long as they are not allowed to dry out) and even minimal light also can survive.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I want to clarify that I'm a newbie. I've failed 4 times (1 pack of 10 RCS each time). All 6 feet under. Pretty sad for me during that period as RCS (according to many) is suppose to be the easiest among to keep. Until 2 months ago when I decided to add bamboo into my tank to test. All this while, I've never make any measurement for ammonia, nitrate, pH, etc. Today, I've got over 150 baby shrimps overwhelming me. I've startup another tank (2 feet and I'm regretting now because I should go bigger, lol). I have to admit that I didn't quite bother to think over the setup of the tank (another regret) and it is pretty ugly. You can say it is the worst tank ever (in my view) so I'm not willing to share my tank but just a portion of it.

Errr..... I just realize that I do not know how to post an image. Not sure if I'm doing this correctly. lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Darick View Post
    I won't use bamboo if I'm looking into aquascaping like many experts do. I'm no expert but I do try to test information that I've gotten from anyone and any forum if possible. But using bamboo is not that presentable in my view.

Maybe someone with more experience than me doing for 2 months can share.
    Yeah, the usage of lucky bamboo in aquascapes requires a rather specific theme and design... less amano nature aquarium, more oriental "crouching tiger hidden dragon" style.

I've seen some really nice scapes done using bamboo though, here is a serene looking one for inspiration:

Photo from Google Images.

There are many other examples too, but this particular one i've been following very keenly on... really excellent use of the lucky bamboo and its emersed leaves.

You can check out the tank's journal thread here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...bamboo&page=16

Sorry for the super side-track but these are just too nice not to share.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    He is referring to using Dracaena Sanderiana (aka lucky bamboo), the ones people buy during chinese new year in pots decorated with gold ribbons and often with stems twisted together in elaborate patterns... they are actually a house plant but can tolerate their roots submersed in water, though their leaves must be kept above water. Can find them at most plant nurseries and florist shops (Far East Flora/Goodwood at Thomson have lots of different variants in stock).

I've personally kept lucky bamboo in a glass vase for many years too, they are super hardy (as long as they are not allowed to dry out) and even minimal light also can survive.
    Thanks Urban.

Thanks the one I'm using. I also do not know how many you will need per 1 feet tank but I'm doing 2 per 1 feet currently. I started with 4 as there isn't much rooting from the bamboo that I've gotten. I've reduce to 2 only because I've gotten a 2 feet tank so I've split the 4 and also now there are a lot of roots per stalk. More roots means higher and faster nutrients exports (or was it import). lol. I didn't starts this bamboo in aquarium idea. I got this from the internet.

Just want to help and hope it helps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, the usage of lucky bamboo in aquascapes requires a rather specific theme and design... less amano nature aquarium, more oriental "crouching tiger hidden dragon" style.

I've seen some really nice scapes done using bamboo though, here is a serene looking one for inspiration:

Photo from Google Images.

There are many other examples too, but this particular one i've been following very keenly on... really excellent use of the lucky bamboo and its emersed leaves.

You can check out the tank's journal thread here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...bamboo&page=16

Sorry for the super side-track but these are just too nice not to share.
    Wow..... 1st picture is nice. 2nd one is quite innovative. If anyone try to stop me from keeping shrimps, I'm going to go with the 2nd picture and say I'm planting using a tank instead of a pot. lol

love both picture you put up. Now my heart itching.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Lucky you show us, if not some bros might use this

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

lol...... my bad. I should have been more precise and also post a picture. That was a close shave or I'll get whack left and right when someone use bamboo stick instead of bamboo plant ( is that how I should differentiate them. lol)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

20% water change a week isn't considered frequent water change... at least not enough to reduce high nitrate levels.

You have to note that if your nitrate level is 80ppm and you only do 20% water change, it only reduce it to 80ppm x 80% = 64ppm, then after a week with all the accumulated feeding and waste production, the nitrates build up more and the nitrate levels keep climbing higher.

If your shrimps are okay and not dying at the moment, then you can gradually lower the nitrate level by doing a series of 20% water changes over the course of the week (maybe spread out the water changes every 3 days), so that each time the nitrates reduce but the water conditions don't fluctuate too much (the shrimps have time to get used to any changes)... once you achieve the target lower nitrate levels then can stop the water changes and revert back to your regular maintenance routine.

I guess your tank is the typical shimp tank layout with very few plants (or mainly slow growing types) and alot of feeding, so its expected for such conditions to develop. With such setups, you'll really need to avoid overfeeding and remove any uneaten food quickly.

As others have suggested, using fast growing nitrate absorbing plants is good too... though i notice that shrimp keepers tend to keep plants at a bare minimum because they want to constantly see their shrimps.

Purigen helps to remove excess organic compounds that contribute to nitrate production, so you can use that too, but it does have a limited adsorption lifespan so you need to monitor the levels regularly to know when to replace and recharge it.
    Hi Urban Aquaria, on top of the weekly 20% water change, I'm topping up about 1l of water daily due to evaporation from my fan. The last water change was 50% last Sunday when I did a major maintenance on the the tank.

Tank was pretty much covered with various moss and some other aquatic plants so it's kind of hard to spot any dead shrimp.

I'm thinking that the nitrate buildup might be from ada soil, algae, plants or Indian almond leaves because I feed my shrimps sparely.

I'll head down to lfs to get some fast nitrate absorbing plants this weekend and see how it goes. Thanks bro

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For a moment I really thought it's bamboo stick😂.

That bamboo idea is really good. I'm thinking of trying out bamboo with money plant on my next project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast