1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Change of filter media

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm planning to upgrade my stock eheim 2213 filter media and include Biohome and Purigen. Is it possible to fit both into my canister? Or would I have to choose either one?

also if I'm gonna change the media, will this cause a crash in my tank, since the new media isn't cycled yet. Should I be looking just to change half for a start?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Change of filter media

Biohome is bio-media (provide more surface area for beneficial bacterial to grow) while Purigen is a organic scavenging resin (absorbs excess organic compounds)... both can be used together effectively in the same canister filter.

For best results, place Purigen in the final layer just before the impeller.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by urbach View Post
    Yep, you should change partially first for the media. Purigen, u bought the sachet or the loose in bottle? You can just damp the sachet in else in bottle depend how big your tank. I used half bottle for my 2 ft.
    I haven't bought purigen yet, but probably would go with the bottle, as I understand need to keep another "pack" as replacement

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Biohome is bio-media (provide more surface area for beneficial bacterial to grow) while Purigen is a organic scavenging resin (absorbs excess organic compounds)... both can be used together effectively in the same canister filter.

For best results, place Purigen in the final layer just before the impeller.
    The final layer refers to inside the basket or on the basket?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    The final layer refers to inside the basket or on the basket?
    Either way also can, just arrange so that water can flow though it easily (don't pack too tightly).

If you are getting the bottle version, make sure to get cloth or mesh bags which are at least 180 micron size to contain the granules, and ensure the bags are sealed well with no gaps or leaks, or else the tiny Purigen granules will litter all around the tank.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Either way also can, just arrange so that water can flow though it easily (don't pack too tightly).

If you are getting the bottle version, make sure to get cloth or mesh bags which are at least 180 micron size to contain the granules, and ensure the bags are sealed well with no gaps or leaks, or else the tiny Purigen granules will litter all around the tank.
    sexy pantyhose can?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    sexy pantyhose can?
    Also can... just make sure it doesn't snag onto plastic edges or bio-media and tear holes for the Purigen to leak out.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I used a sexy panty hose as the purigen bag and seems to work well. Becos the panty hose seems abit flimsy (went around searching for the cheap cheap type $1.30 and felt strange every time I had to ask lady's where can I find pantyhose)

I didn't put the bag at the last as I was afraid it might leak, so I put it in before the final filter pad, hoping that it will help constraint the purigen if there was ever a leak

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, just a question, is your setup a planted tank? If it is, wont the purigen cause any nutrient imbalance in the tank? since purigen absorbs nitrogenous compounds which are essentially needed for bacteria and converted to nitrates for plants and there are tons of mixed reviews on it, some say yes to purigen while others wont ever use it for a planted tank. Still undecided on using purigen for my planted set up. Thought you can share some views on it if you used it before
    Thanks!
    Bucep poison runs deep

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Danialavr View Post
    Hi, just a question, is your setup a planted tank? If it is, wont the purigen cause any nutrient imbalance in the tank? since purigen absorbs nitrogenous compounds which are essentially needed for bacteria and converted to nitrates for plants and there are tons of mixed reviews on it, some say yes to purigen while others wont ever use it for a planted tank. Still undecided on using purigen for my planted set up. Thought you can share some views on it if you used it before
    Thanks!
    The usage of Purigen in planted tanks depends on its setup and bio-load handling capacity.

Purigen absorbs a certain portion of excess organic compounds and waste before they are converted to nitrates (it doesn't absorb the actual nitrates itself). It also doesn't absorb all of it, so there will still be some remaining for the bacteria to process.

In planted tanks which dose fertilizers with nitrate content, Purigen wouldn't absorb the ferts either as they are already in nitrate form (not organic compounds), so it doesn't affect the nutrient balance in tanks with fert dosing.

One of the reasons why people use Purigen in planted tanks is to counter the accumulated fish feeding, waste and rotting plant material (ie. due to lapses in maintenance) which contribute to excessive nitrate production from organic sources, its sort of like an extra backup/safety buffer for those who want to have fauna in their tanks but also want some help to reduce the potential effects of excess waste material pushing their nitrate levels unnecessarily higher.

Case in point, i notice with Purigen in my canister filters, they will tend to be noticeably less dirty during regular filter maintenance, compared to my filters without Purigen.

On the other hand, if the planted tank doesn't get any fertilizer dosing at all and relies solely on fish food and waste to provide nutrients for the tank (ie. Walstad natural planted style), then Purigen may not be suitable as it would be counter-productive to the setup (unless the tank's bio-load is so high that even the plants cannot handle all the nitrate production, then maybe Purigen can be used to help moderate it).

Most people who say Purigen is not necessary in planted tanks will mention that if a tank is "balanced", there is no need for such things, that is very true and i totally agree! ... But for the rest of us who cannot resist stocking all the nice fishes and shrimps and feeding them until their bellies are fat, Purigen helps to "mop up" our indulgences.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 27th Apr 2014 at 02:20.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ah quite a comprehensive explanation on purigen. I guess i might give it a go some time just to see how it works or if it is even necessary at all. Thanks for the information bro!
    Bucep poison runs deep