Country
    Singapore

Peat vs brown water

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi folks,

Any comment on the above ? And does it really helps for South Am fishes like Tetra ? Where can I find such peat where I can leave for eg. in the filter. Thks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    some lfs sell them, jus ask for peat... when u buy them back, pour them into a net, tie and place into the filter... but I like to inform u, that the water will be very dark.. so prepare yrself.. wouldnt advise if u using on a planted tank.. the other will be blackwater extract, this solution contains the extract of peat, without the darkening

if u adventous, u can try brewing yr own..using indian almond leaves

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    then i can pour u a glass simon =)
    Don't have to thank me
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    one tip is to use hot water to 'activate' your peat
    the 'tea' you get from the peat is actually concentrated peat extract, works in the same way, so don't throw it out

heard from somewhere b4, tried it, but i couldn't really tell a difference
    you might want to try it [:]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As described at Substrates for Aquarium Plants

"Peat - a type of soil comprised of partially decomposed plant material. It is typically found in swamps or bogs where the acidic conditions prevent complete decomposition. It is composed primarily of cellulose and lignin and is rich in organic or humic acids"

What about coco-peat? I think made from coconut husks and available in Cold Storage. Are they considered peat?
    I have used them as substrate in my tanks. Water did not turn brown.

Anyway, I think tetras are hardy and should be able to survive well enough without peat.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if you're keeping tetra, might consider this brown/black water sold by Gan. Apparently come from Amazon lah, and he doses some when you buy his tetra, to destress them on your way home.

I find that my cardinal got very good appetite after I started using it, whether coincidence or real effect, take your pick [:]
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    does this regard to tetra only or u only tried tetra?
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Blackwater from the Amazon? Hmm..interesting.
    ''Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds.'' Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thks guys.

Other than peat vs extract, I also like to know based on your experience, doe sit makes your tetra healthier and more at home esp. for neons as they originated from such water. Seems like it does helps for some of you. Maybe I will give the peat a shot. I will put some hot water into it and pour the brew into the tank accordingly.

I don't think most LFS carry peat. Any particular one ? Thks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    why dun u just use black water extract?
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi, after i started using black water extract (those in bottles), i do notice an improvement on the condition of my tetras, etc.

cheers!
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Peter, you could try C328 or the cluster of LFS at Serangoon. SERA's peat quality is quite good. Doesn't give you too much of a brown tinge. Most times, the water's clear after using it. Remember not to use the same peat for too long a time in your filtration or tank. They have a life span. Peat that's been expired gives you undesirable water chemistry.
    ''Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds.'' Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bene, Gan's "black" water actually brownish yellow. I have tried Ocean Free blackwater extract, didn't see any results. Gan's brown water seem to be working.

Again who knows what really works, if you're at Gan's no harm buying a bottle to try lah, if it seem to work then good, otherwise chuck it
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Alteratively , get tantc's kepatang teabags.
    For more details , check out http://www.bear-head.com

I am in no way affiliated to him , just heard a lot of people getting good results with his product.
    Will be getting some from him too ! [:]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/20/2002 6:00:10 PM

Alteratively , get tantc's kepatang teabags.
    For more details , check out http://www.bear-head.com

I am in no way affiliated to him , just heard a lot of people getting good results with his product.
    Will be getting some from him too ! [:]
    ----------------
    Ketapang leaves can get all over Singapore what. Of course you may not know the right kind (whether to pick orange, brown or red) of leaves to pick. I saw a Ketapang near Benjamin Sheares Bridge turning yellow all over already, may be it is the season for them to start shedding their leaves (all turn red/orange).

This is the tree you can find along East Coast Park, AYE near NUS, and many other places. Look for a tree that grow its branches in layers or storeys, horizontally. Very distinctive, cannot miss. Also known as Sea Almond or Indian Almond.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i have tried using haifeng blackwater extract b4.. very good.. helps the tetra to breed as well..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i've tried tetra blackwater , japanese black bottle blackwater Quite good too
    Cheers!

Benetay