3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Roots growing out of aquasoil

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi bros, I realised that my crypts are sending their roots out of the aquasoil, into the water column. Can this be due to anaerobic conditions in the soil? The crypts are planted in ~5-7cm deep ADA Amazonia. The tank has only been running for 4 months. Only the crypts are doing this. Is this a cause for concern?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Roots growing out of aquasoil

roots growing out of the soil can indicate lack of certain nutrients or overly anaerobic conditions in the substrate.

if the plant is doing well and the roots are coming out, in my experience this is fine. in some cases, this is a survival mechanism by the plants. in cases where water recedes and the plant is partially submerged, the roots will allow the plant to get more aerial advantage and/or grip on the substrate.

If the plant is losing leaves and stems are browning, then it means that plant is looking for missing nutrient(s) by growing aerial like roots.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hmm, I dont see any specific deficiencies in the plants in the tank. but just in case its due to anaerobic conditions in the substrate, how can I go about to reduce/improve the condition? it is pretty unsightly seeing all the roots 'exposed'

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by furyprix View Post
    hmm, I dont see any specific deficiencies in the plants in the tank. but just in case its due to anaerobic conditions in the substrate, how can I go about to reduce/improve the condition? it is pretty unsightly seeing all the roots 'exposed'
    this i am not sure.. pushing it back will disturb your substrate.. which is not good.
    cutting it will damage the plant...
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I did attempt to push some into the substrate... (picture was taken after pushing)

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It could be due to the roots already have no place to grow further under the substrate. Crypts will develop long and thick roots especially if the substrate is rich with nutrients. From my previous experience with crypts, roots can grow up to 30cm long even thou the substrate could be 5 to 7cm. Once pull out, prepare to have cloudy, blackish water.

Happy planting.
    Happy Planting, Be Well & Prosper. An aquarium plants hobbyist for hobbyists.

Scaping Nature in a Cube
    SMS/Whatsapp: James | 9647 0392 | Tampines S(520273)

Latest available plants images in my profile's gallery --> http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...r&imageuser=66