Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: What do shrimps eat?

Feedback Score

What do shrimps eat?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Question for shrimp gurus: Out of curiosity, what do shrimps feed on to live? I've observed picking into gravel, leaves or driftwood and putting the contents into its mouth. I've have never fed my shrimps at all, but they seem to be doing fine till now. Is it some kind of microscopic plankton?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    they r scavengers ... that means they eat almost anything that can be eaten ... left over food, dead fish, moss, soft plants, dead shrimps, etc etc ... the young shrimps do eat microscopic stuff we can hardly see ... dats why many recommend moss in a shrimp tank ... great for microscopic food for shrimpies

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yep they pick on anything they find edible. However, if you want to feed them properly, I suggest flakes and/or Hikari Algae Wafers.

Simply crush the flakes into small pieces with your hand, and drop them into the tank. The flakes will sink somehow, and don't worry about the shrimps not finding them. They will find it somehow

As for the Hikari Algae Wafers, if your shrimp population is small, break off half a tablet and put it in. Shrimps go crazy over that. If you have a giant population, maybe more than one wafer is needed.

Occasionall, you can also add in a bit of cheap fertiliser in your tank to cause some algae growth. Of course, do so with care, you don't want algae blooms do you :P

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yup agree with squee ... just drop any food and they will find it ... i feed them 1/2 to 1 wafer everyday except weekends where they supposed to do extra duty by cleaning some algae