Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Hikari Crab Crusine produces oil in fish tank?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hikari Crab Crusine produces oil in fish tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Have just fed my shrimps Hikari crab Crusine and the tank surface seems to have oil, any bros experience that?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hikari Crab Crusine produces oil in fish tank?

Most likely protein film build up. Common signs for matured tanks or newly cycled tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry to hijack, do we need to remove the oil or just leave it there?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Carry out a slight water change if you feel uncomfortable with it. Generally oil film will prevent oxygen exchange and if very thick; blocks out light, therefore I always carry out water changes if I do see some oil film build up. Better be safe than sorry!
    Ants of the Aquatic World (Upcoming blog!)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Y3H View Post
    Carry out a slight water change if you feel uncomfortable with it. Generally oil film will prevent oxygen exchange and if very thick; blocks out light, therefore I always carry out water changes if I do see some oil film build up. Better be safe than sorry!
    I just changed water 2 days ago and after soaking up the oil yesterday with tissue paper, surprise to find it there again today

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The oil layer is a byproduct of the combination of food, fertilizers, break-down of waste material and also plant photosynthesis (very common in planted tanks). Oil floats on water hence it all accumulates on top.

Water changes will clear it up for a short while, until the oil accumulates again.

Surface agitation helps to break up the oil layer too, from either rainbars/spraybars, airstone/sponge filter bubbles or by raising the lily pipe slightly above the water surface to churn the water.

Planted tanks owners usually prefer minimal surface agitation to retain Co2 in the water, so the oil layer tends to be more noticeable in such tanks.

Surface skimmers are a good option too, they draw in the oil layer and trap must of it in their sponge media (you'll just need to clean it periodically to prevent accumulated oil and debris clogging up the sponges).

You can also try adding fishes like guppies, apparently they eat the oil layer... not sure how effective they are though as i've kept guppies in planted tanks before and still got visible oil layer (maybe only when they are starving then no choice have to eat the oil?).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com