Images
    Country
    Singapore

My CRS 'Horror' experience

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    And as if keeping CRS isn't challenging enough for me, I bought some normal grade CRS from a breeder on Saturday.

When I got the CRS, I was rather shocked as it is really big, almost 3cm and the legs are very long, so it's really tall. Perhaps I have not been into CRS for too long, so I wasn't aware that there are species that big, but I am not new to shrimping, and I have never seen such big sizes in local fish stores before.

Anyhow, after acclimating them, I released into my fan-operated crs tank.

Last night, to my horror, I saw the big CRS had my juvenile blue cherry shrimp in his mouth! I am quite sure the blue cherry wasn't dead yet, and she wasn't even a baby, it was a juvenile. And, I have some more babies and juveniles in that tank! I'm really not sure now how many more the CRS attacked. To think about it, I don't think I have seen my shrimplets swimming around anymore.

Immediately, I removed all the 9 CRS I bought from the breeder on Saturday, leaving 1 of it in my tank, because the size wasn't huge, so it maybe harmless. I quarantined the 9 bigger CRS into my endlers fish tank.

I have never in my years of shrimping came across such agressive CRS. Can some veteran in CRS give me some advise or your thoughts about this?

Now I don't know what to do about the 9 big CRS shrimps in my endlers tank. Shoul

I hope I have misunderstood the whole picture, but I will never risk having them in my CRS tank, as I have 1 berried mama inside.
    And as if things weren't bad enough for me last night, one of my berried mama died. Now I am trying to artificially hatching the eggs, but not confident I can succeed.

I was planning on getting a chiller for my crs, but now I feel like giving up already. The whole shrimping journey is really tiring me out. Getting the most economical chiller and a cannister, will cost me about $500. Now I'm not sure if I want to do it anymore.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: My CRS 'Horror' experience

Shrimps are scavengers, so the blue cherry might have already died and not killed by the crs. For 3cm CRS most likely is female but picture would help to confirm.

Did you pour the water that came with the shrimps you bought into the tank?

I hope you did remove the carcass of the mama for artificial hatching. Provide soft flow and adequate aeration.
    Recent studies shows that putting recent studies in your statement have a higher percentage of trust people put into your recent studies. What?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I will try to take a pic of the crs. Yes I also think it's a female. But when the blue cherry was in its mouth, it was still moving. And the color has not turned pale. The crs is really big and tall. All the crs I have is smaller.
    I never believed crs would kill. I'm still shocked at what I have seen.
    I didn't pour the water inside. Usually I net it out.
    Yes, I removed the dead body of the mama. I put the eggs in a mesh bag and hung it above a bubble filter. Judging my luck, I dont think I can succeed.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Starlett View Post
    I will try to take a pic of the crs. Yes I also think it's a female. But when the blue cherry was in its mouth, it was still moving. And the color has not turned pale. The crs is really big and tall. All the crs I have is smaller.
    I never believed crs would kill. I'm still shocked at what I have seen.
    I didn't pour the water inside. Usually I net it out.
    Yes, I removed the dead body of the mama. I put the eggs in a mesh bag and hung it above a bubble filter. Judging my luck, I dont think I can succeed.
    3cm CRS are hard to come by nowadays...if they are really that big and tall and you would like to offload-PM me

Anyway back to your topic...In a tank of big and small shrimps, its always survival of the fittest. That is also why breeders always had to make the effort of netting shrimplets out of the breeding tank to avoid been attack or eaten.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Spid View Post
    3cm CRS are hard to come by nowadays...if they are really that big and tall and you would like to offload-PM me

Anyway back to your topic...In a tank of big and small shrimps, its always survival of the fittest. That is also why breeders always had to make the effort of netting shrimplets out of the breeding tank to avoid been attack or eaten.

Yes, I need to offload. I have pm'ed you. Appreciate it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It's quite normal for shrimps to start feasting on other shrimps which are almost dying (even though their legs are still moving).

I've observed it a few times with my shrimps, the larger ones tend to be more bold and probe the weaker ones to see who will be their next potential meal.

If a shrimp is already so weak that it cannot move aside or escape, then no hope anyways, it's already going to die soon... the larger shrimp is just starting the "recycling" job earlier.

The ones who are healthy and can move aside will have no issues, so it's fine to have the shrimps living together.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    It's quite normal for shrimps to start feasting on other shrimps which are almost dying (even though their legs are still moving).

I've observed it a few times with my shrimps, the larger ones tend to be more bold and probe the weaker ones to see who will be their next potential meal.

If a shrimp is already so weak that it cannot move aside or escape, then no hope anyways, it's already going to die soon... the larger shrimp is just starting the "recycling" job earlier.

The ones who are healthy and can move aside will have no issues, so it's fine to have the shrimps living together.
    What you said does make sense, the small one should be able to escape.
    Maybe it is rather hard for me to accept the fact because I remember that the juvenile was rather active and moving around alot. And suddenly, he is in the mouth of the enormous CRS...this really sounds hilarious.

I have contacted the seller again and he will collect them back tonight. To be fair, I will not be asking for refund, as I only want those CRS to be housed in proper conditions, rather than my endlers tank.

Anyway, has anyone really seen the CRS I am talking about? The really big and tall ones? It is not like those that we see in the usual popular local fish stores in tampines, yishun and clementi, etc

i think they are 2-3 times bigger than those in my tank. If I can get the chance, I will take a picture tonight, before I return to the seller.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I've seen those large full grown CRS too, but only in friend's tanks... those are the ones which have survived the longest amongst their batch of fellow shrimps. Large size CRS are rare because most of them die off before they can reach that size.

In a sense, if you get large CRS from a breeder those should be the oldest and strongest ones. Its actually worth keeping them.

Usually the ones sold at most LFS are the small ones, because it allows for faster turn-over in sales for breeders... i guess if they have to spend additional time growing the shrimps until large size, their expenses to maintain the stock also become much higher too. Just like fishes, you'll usually see the juvenile ones being sold rather than fully grown adult ones.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

3cm CRS are already quite rare and in addition in being aggressive... I'll wait to see your picture!

As Urban pointed out, shrimps could have detected that your juvenile cherry was weak and dying anyway, and decided to just 'clean' it up. Even Assassin Snails do climb on top of weak shrimps (although moving), just because they also sense the shrimp is about to die anyway.
    Ants of the Aquatic World (Upcoming blog!)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Starlett View Post
    What you said does make sense, the small one should be able to escape.
    Maybe it is rather hard for me to accept the fact because I remember that the juvenile was rather active and moving around alot. And suddenly, he is in the mouth of the enormous CRS...this really sounds hilarious.

I have contacted the seller again and he will collect them back tonight. To be fair, I will not be asking for refund, as I only want those CRS to be housed in proper conditions, rather than my endlers tank.

Anyway, has anyone really seen the CRS I am talking about? The really big and tall ones? It is not like those that we see in the usual popular local fish stores in tampines, yishun and clementi, etc

i think they are 2-3 times bigger than those in my tank. If I can get the chance, I will take a picture tonight, before I return to the seller.
    Yup I've seen those before, the Lowkeys PRL at Aquarist Chamber when they first opened shop a few months ago. Apparently, it's not that rare among PRL but it's the first I've heard of a normal CRS of that size. I also got a shock when I first saw them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Y3H View Post
    3cm CRS are already quite rare and in addition in being aggressive... I'll wait to see your picture!

As Urban pointed out, shrimps could have detected that your juvenile cherry was weak and dying anyway, and decided to just 'clean' it up. Even Assassin Snails do climb on top of weak shrimps (although moving), just because they also sense the shrimp is about to die anyway.
    Hahaha, yea I've seen my assassin snails feed on dead shrimps before. They can detect the dead shrimps surprisingly fast. They will clean up the internals of the shrimp, leaving just the shell as calcium for other shrimps to feed on.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

And Otto's armor are left behind by the snails as well. Abit cool yet disgusting in its own way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ants of the Aquatic World (Upcoming blog!)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by xuan87 View Post
    Yup I've seen those before, the Lowkeys PRL at Aquarist Chamber when they first opened shop a few months ago. Apparently, it's not that rare among PRL but it's the first I've heard of a normal CRS of that size. I also got a shock when I first saw them.
    I didn't have time to snap pictures as the bro came early to collect them. Maybe the bro can snap some pictures for us here....they are not big, they are huge. Kind of smaller than yamatos abit. Maybe most crs die off pretty fast, that's why we don't get to see so big ones anymore. Is that a good or bad thing? Haha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I don't know about this but currently I do have jumbo sized crs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk