Singapore

Shrimp Diary: 2ft CRS Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Entry 1: 2 May 2014

Hello all,

Since 2006, I've always wanted to have a CRS tank. I was Primary 6 then and I was so enthralled by their beauty. I read up a lot on them in the past but it was always the pricing that deterred me. However, after 8 years, I finally have the resources and space for a tank. Thank you to qngwn and Antonchann for selling me your lights and filter at a really good deal! (I'm still searching for a chiller though)

After collecting my Aqua Pro LED and Eheim 2224, I proceeded to C328 and bought the necessary inlet and outlet pipes and a plant. As it was my first time using an external canister filter, I was a little confused but I'm really glad I got the right stuff in the end.

Here is a picture of the set up! Took me more than 3 hours to set up everything today. Water is a little dirty from the Amazonia.

IMG-20140501-WA0008.jpg

Just 2 questions:

1. The water surface is rather stale. My rain bar is facing towards the tank wall, may I know if there's a chance of mosquitoes laying eggs in the water? How do I deal with this for a shrimp-only tank?
    2. As I am new to canister filters and I've always used filters using air pumps and hang on filters where the water is exposed to air before dropping into the tank, I have a rather stupid question to ask. Is the filter a sufficient oxygen supply?

Also, recently, I brought back 10 Ebiclub PRLs. They are currently in a stable 1ft tank with cooler fans. But I will transfer them to the tank above once the tank finishes cycling and I get a chiller! A mix of mosuras and hinos!

2014-04-28 23.40.jpg

2014-04-30 11.40.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the pictures. They are taken with a Note 2.

Hopefully they breed soon!

Cheers,
    Jordan
    Last edited by raeburter; 2nd May 2014 at 01:07.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Shrimp Diary: 2ft CRS Tank

Congrats on fulfilling that dream!

I believe the rain bar would be more effective if facing away from the tank wall. That would certainly provide better water circulation.

Some actually put the rain bar above the water line, hence providing more surface aeration. With moving water, it would be a prevention against mosquitoes breeding, unless there are dead spots. I seen others put it below the waterline especially those having planted tanks, they usually angle the rain bar at 45 degrees.

If you are still afraid of mosquitoes, you can consider putting a few hardy fish into the tank maybe in a weeks time. I believe tiger barbs might be able to survive even though your tank isn't fully cycled. And the waste they produce, would certainly speed up your cycling. Worst part is waiting for already decorated tank to be cycled haha would take 6-8 weeks to properly cycle it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nice setup

For me, i connect some airstones for surface aeration.
    Also i added Bubble Choice on the outlet of the canister to have more oxygen for shrimps and they love it

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Congrats on fulfilling that dream!

I believe the rain bar would be more effective if facing away from the tank wall. That would certainly provide better water circulation.

Some actually put the rain bar above the water line, hence providing more surface aeration. With moving water, it would be a prevention against mosquitoes breeding, unless there are dead spots. I seen others put it below the waterline especially those having planted tanks, they usually angle the rain bar at 45 degrees.

If you are still afraid of mosquitoes, you can consider putting a few hardy fish into the tank maybe in a weeks time. I believe tiger barbs might be able to survive even though your tank isn't fully cycled. And the waste they produce, would certainly speed up your cycling. Worst part is waiting for already decorated tank to be cycled haha would take 6-8 weeks to properly cycle it.
    Quote Originally Posted by starfox View Post
    Nice setup

For me, i connect some airstones for surface aeration.
    Also i added Bubble Choice on the outlet of the canister to have more oxygen for shrimps and they love it
    Thank you for all your advice guys. I added in a sponge filter to increase aeration and water movement. I'm pointing the rain bar towards the tank wall as I want to create less current for the shrimps and movement of the substrate.

GOOD NEWS!
    I have a preggie PRL after 3 days of feeding CRS Haven's Breeder Select. Really amazing breeding food!

One more question,
    Do I have to skim out the layer of dirt on the top of the water from the Amazonia soil?

Cheers,
    Jordan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nice PRL. where do you brought them? anyway as the layer of dirt, i didnt do anything about it and my shrimp are fine till now. Just weekly maintenance will do. maybe some bro here have different encounter?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Good to see the pictures..

Do update more. Can try taking shots with macro lens on your phone.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you for answering all of my previous questions guys! I have another 3 that I need help with.

When I get my hands on a chiller, may I know how should the chiller be placed? I remembered reading that it needs an open space at the front and back of it. May I know how much?

Also, for the chiller, it will be plugged into a 7 plug extension chord. May I know will the chiller overload the extension chord?

I am currently using Biohome and Powerhouse Biological Filter Media. May I know how long will it last?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

From my understanding the concern is where the output of the hot air should not be obstructed. And its usually the back of the chiller.

I place my chiller approximately 30cm away from my wall.

Sent from my 2013023 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Entry 2: 8 May 2014.

I tested the waters today and got the following readings:

gH: 2
    pH: Between 5.5 - 6.0
    Ammonia: 4.0ppm

I know ammonia is still a far cry from the desired result and the gH is acceptable according a workshop done by silane at GC (I saw it in a FAQ).
    However, it is said that the best pH for CRS is high 5s to 6.5. May I know is 5.5 acceptable?
    I am using some balanced filter media from the owner of the previous filter, who used the filter for shrimps previously. He stated that he used Powerhouse filter media and I think it's the one that prevents pH from rising too high. May I know if this may the cause of it?

Attachment 41101

Also, I hope someone can help me ID the moss and ID the small green bush/weed on the wood as well! It looks really strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliftonha View Post
    From my understanding the concern is where the output of the hot air should not be obstructed. And its usually the back of the chiller.

I place my chiller approximately 30cm away from my wall.

Sent from my 2013023 using Tapatalk
    Thanks Bro! Will keep that in mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by raeburter View Post
    Entry 2: 8 May 2014.

I tested the waters today and got the following readings:

gH: 2
    pH: Between 5.5 - 6.0
    Ammonia: 4.0ppm

I know ammonia is still a far cry from the desired result and the gH is acceptable according a workshop done by silane at GC (I saw it in a FAQ).
    However, it is said that the best pH for CRS is high 5s to 6.5. May I know is 5.5 acceptable?
    I am using some balanced filter media from the owner of the previous filter, who used the filter for shrimps previously. He stated that he used Powerhouse filter media and I think it's the one that prevents pH from rising too high. May I know if this may the cause of it?

Attachment 41101

Also, I hope someone can help me ID the moss and ID the small green bush/weed on the wood as well! It looks really strange.

Thanks Bro! Will keep that in mind.
    Your pH is fine. It's likely due to the active soil than the Powerhouse filter media although I heard the filter media can also lower pH slightly. When it comes to water parameters, it's more important for you to keep them stable (not fluctuating), than to worry about what value they are at.

Your ammonia is still high but that's part of the cycling process. Also remember to measure your nitrate in a few weeks' time. When it start reaching high levels (mine hit 70 ppm at the end of the cycling process), you'll know that your cycling is done.

Your ebiclub PRL looks amazing. I assume you got them from Green Chapter? Which grade are they?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by xuan87 View Post
    Your pH is fine. It's likely due to the active soil than the Powerhouse filter media although I heard the filter media can also lower pH slightly. When it comes to water parameters, it's more important for you to keep them stable (not fluctuating), than to worry about what value they are at.

Your ammonia is still high but that's part of the cycling process. Also remember to measure your nitrate in a few weeks' time. When it start reaching high levels (mine hit 70 ppm at the end of the cycling process), you'll know that your cycling is done.

Your ebiclub PRL looks amazing. I assume you got them from Green Chapter? Which grade are they?
    I have always been reading that pH is best between 6 - 6.2. 5.5 is really acceptable and good for breeding?
    Nah, I got mine from the Ebiclub Breeder himself in Bangkok! He said he doesn't grade them by alphabets or numbers by price instead!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Entry 3: 12 May 2014

Hey guys!

I have some good news to share. 2 of my SS females are berried by my SSS males! Really really excited! But that's not the main point of this post. I would like to recommend everybody the food I'm using for my shrimps, it is

CRS Haven's Breeder Select Protein Food.

They claim that it promotes consistent breeding cycles and increase the number of eggs the female carry. Although I haven't witnessed that consistent breeding cycles or increase, I have witness its magic in getting my females berried. As stated in my posts above, my shrimps are living in a temporary home of high temperatures and high gH, which is not really ideal for breeding. However, using the above food, I have witnessed a total of 3 females being berried within 2 weeks of being fed this food daily and 2 of them carry more than 10 eggs! I am really amazed by the food and the shop owner said he's huge tank increased in the number of shrimps exponentially within 6 months and I know really understand how it happened now.

I think the non-member price is 23sgd for a pack and 16sgd for members at CRS Haven @ Tampines.

Note: I do not work for them or doing an illegal advertisement for them. I am just recommending fellow shrimp hobbyist the food that has been making my females preggie.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Entry 4: 21 May 2014

It's been 20 days since I started cycling. After doing 3 water changes over the weeks, the ammonia has dropped to 1ppm and the gH is still at 3. However, the pH has further dropped to around 5.2-5.5. I am using ADA Amazonia, with Powerhouse Filter Media. May I know if the pH may continue to drop and if I should do anything to increase the pH.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Do multiple large water changes to bring ph back up

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

That Ph range is ok, why do you need to bring the PH higher.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bai View Post
    That Ph range is ok, why do you need to bring the PH higher.
    The previous test showed that my pH was around 5.5 - 6 and now it has dropped even further. I'm just worried it will keep dropping and dropping.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm just sharing. I'm also currently cycling my tank.

http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Raebuter,

Are you a member?? how to become member?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I don't think that id true. Some bros on this forum keep taiwan bees at a ph below 6

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wongwong View Post
    Hi Raebuter,

Are you a member?? how to become member?
    Member for?

Quote Originally Posted by Arron View Post
    I don't think that id true. Some bros on this forum keep taiwan bees at a ph below 6

Quote Originally Posted by Naraki View Post
    I'm just sharing. I'm also currently cycling my tank.

http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html
    After doing another 50% water change, my ammonia went down from 1ppm to 0.5ppm. BUT MY pH went down! I don't understand why my pH keeps decreasing after each water change. Anyone help please? I think it's around 5.2 now. I worry it'll drop even more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast