Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Switching off filter during feeding?

Feedback Score

Switching off filter during feeding?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Do you switch off your canister filters (such as Eheims) when you feed blood worms (live or frozen) to your fishes. I noticed that frozen blood worms are very messy and if I didnt switch off the filter, some of it will be sucked in to the filter. Also, just after about 30 minutes, the water will start to get cloudy with the filter off. I usually feed the worms first then change water after that so it is not so bad. Do you guys do this too?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what's gonna be the difference?
    leave it on, leave it off, the liquid component's going into the filter anyway
    the only thing is the worms might get sucked into the filter
    i personally feed by hand, and the worms don't get a chance to get sucked in, so i don't turn off the filter

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Why does the filter suck in the worms. Wat you could do is gradually release the food making sure the food is consumed.

As for me I don't do taht cos the food will be eaten up instantly upon releasing the food.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi mphil

try to avoid switch on and off the filter coz you may damage it in the long run. When you mentioned being sucked in, are you referring to the suface skimmer and/or through the inlet pipe? if is turn the skimmer, that is because some of the food stays on the surface.....suggestion..use a tweezer to plunge the defrosted worms below the water line...if it is through the inlet pipe, that is because you may be placing the worms in between the water circulation.....try locating a 'blank spot'
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your help guys. I think my problem is that my tank is too small, so the worms keep getting into the circulation zone as David says. I wont be turning off my filter so often if it will damage it by doing so. Cant decide btw getting a 2.5ft or 3 ft tank as the location where I want to put it is quite a squeeze. I can get a free 3 ft used tank but the problem is there is no cabinet and the metal stand is very ugly. Where can I get the cabinet custom made for the tank?