Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Compact Fluorescent Tubes -Sufficient?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Compact Fluorescent Tubes -Sufficient?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm using compact fluorescent tubes (Energy Savings) for my tank (5 x 2.5 x 2.5 feet).

Light types:
    3 x 11W (60W each equivalent)
    3 x 23W (120W each equivalent)

All tubes are of Daylight White types and have temperature of 6500K.

Now I am turning ON 1x11W in the day (7am to 7pm) and all lights ON at night (after 7pm onwards). I'm also dosing Seachem Fluorish with dosage as indicated on bottle followed by weekly S7.

Problem is, the Nanas are still having leaves turn yellow and slowly
    disintigrating. Occasionally the whole leaf stalk my just be disconnected.

Are my light tubes sufficient for a simple planted setup of Nana and Hornworts? Do I need to get full spectrum tubes?
    Do.. or Do Not.. There Is No Try

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You are exposing the nanas to too much light!
    Nana do not like bright or direct lights. Place your nanas in the shade. They will do better there.
    Click here to help me make my Fish Room Project a reality!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:b6e2372c63="Weirong"]You are exposing the nanas to too much light!
    Nana do not like bright or direct lights. Place your nanas in the shade. They will do better there.[/quote:b6e2372c63]

Too much light?
    So base on the lighting I have, what do you suggest?
    All my bulbs are individually controlled switches...

Also, what are the symptoms of too much light on Nana?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

In my experience, nanas will do well in both shade as well as bright lights (3WPG or more). Some of the fastest growth came when the plants were just beneath the surface, hogging most of the light.

Something else is causing their deterioration. How did you plant the nanas - plunged in the substrate? tied to wood? How did you tie them?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:505535f4f4="budak"]In my experience, nanas will do well in both shade as well as bright lights (3WPG or more). Some of the fastest growth came when the plants were just beneath the surface, hogging most of the light.

Something else is causing their deterioration. How did you plant the nanas - plunged in the substrate? tied to wood? How did you tie them?[/quote:505535f4f4]

I bought them already tied to Driftwood with those fishing strings (I think).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Compact Fluorescent Tubes -Sufficient?

Try cutting away the strings. The plant won't run away.

I am a bit puzzled about your lighting system though. 1x11W in the day and all lights on at night? Don't your plants get a chance to rest?

And are your CF tubes the type that is sold at IKEA? I dont recall seeing FL wattage equivalents on the Philips or Elbiru tubes I have seen.

Best is if you can post a picture of your setup and lights.... that would answer a lot of questions.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Compact Fluorescent Tubes -Sufficient?

[quote:d67f9c71c5="budak"]Try cutting away the strings. The plant won't run away.

I am a bit puzzled about your lighting system though. 1x11W in the day and all lights on at night? Don't your plants get a chance to rest?

And are your CF tubes the type that is sold at IKEA? I dont recall seeing FL wattage equivalents on the Philips or Elbiru tubes I have seen.

Best is if you can post a picture of your setup and lights.... that would answer a lot of questions.[/quote:d67f9c71c5]

All the lights ON at night means from 7pm till I go to sleep. So there is still a time when its total darkeness (at least 7 hrs).

The CF tubes are the ones sold at hardware stores (Philips brand)... Have checked the specs on them and its confirm they are Cool Daylight "6500K" (NOT Warm White "2700K" or Cool White "4000K").

How does cutting away the strings help?

Will post pics if I can.. but haven't figured how to do it...

Feedback Score
    side track abit... those ikea type lamps - 11 watt is listed down as equivalent of 60 watt normal bulb... and 600 lumens... and 6000 h (assume same meaning as k?)... question is if 11 wat energy saving bulb is equivelent to 60 watt normal - does that mean if the lighting requirement is 55 watts that 1 energy saving 11 watt is sufficient? a little bit confused...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re:

[quote:636dafdb20="rijac"]side track abit... those ikea type lamps - 11 watt is listed down as equivalent of 60 watt normal bulb... and 600 lumens... [/quote:636dafdb20]
    11 watt energy saving bulb output is equivalent to a 60 watt incandescent light bulb.

[quote:636dafdb20="rijac"] and 6000 h (assume same meaning as k?)... [/quote:636dafdb20]
    6000 hours of working life not colour temperature of 6000k

[quote:636dafdb20="rijac"] question is if 11 wat energy saving bulb is equivelent to 60 watt normal - does that mean if the lighting requirement is 55 watts that 1 energy saving 11 watt is sufficient? a little bit confused...[/quote:636dafdb20]
    no. 11 watt is 11 watt. see top explaination. so for 55 watts, you'll need 5 x 11 watt tubes.

Feedback Score

Re:

[quote:fc64c2b312="tawauboy"][quote:fc64c2b312="rijac"]side track abit... those ikea type lamps - 11 watt is listed down as equivalent of 60 watt normal bulb... and 600 lumens... [/quote:fc64c2b312]
    11 watt energy saving bulb output is equivalent to a 60 watt incandescent light bulb.

[quote:fc64c2b312="rijac"] and 6000 h (assume same meaning as k?)... [/quote:fc64c2b312]
    6000 hours of working life not colour temperature of 6000k

[quote:fc64c2b312="rijac"] question is if 11 wat energy saving bulb is equivelent to 60 watt normal - does that mean if the lighting requirement is 55 watts that 1 energy saving 11 watt is sufficient? a little bit confused...[/quote:fc64c2b312]
    no. 11 watt is 11 watt. see top explaination. so for 55 watts, you'll need 5 x 11 watt tubes.[/quote:fc64c2b312]

thanks.. i understand now... but are those 11 watt bulbs suitable for planted tanks? if it says 'cool white' or 'warm white' that means the colour should be suitable right?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Are the 11W tubes looking like those at this thread http://www.aquaticquotient.com/phpbb...ic.php?t=11784

Yes. The tubes are suitable for planted tanks. But better to get Daylight 6500K colour for more natural look. Cool white looks a bit bluish. Warm white looks yellow.

marshy: For your 5ft tank, I think you better got for some higher-wattage ones. 36W and 55W PL tubes are quite readily available nowadays.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score

Re:

[quote:c67e01b4f2="juggler"]Are the 11W tubes looking like those at this thread http://www.aquaticquotient.com/phpbb...ic.php?t=11784

Yes. The tubes are suitable for planted tanks. But better to get Daylight 6500K colour for more natural look. Cool white looks a bit bluish. Warm white looks yellow.

marshy: For your 5ft tank, I think you better got for some higher-wattage ones. 36W and 55W PL tubes are quite readily available nowadays.[/quote:c67e01b4f2]

thanks.. i'm thinking of going with 4 of either this type:

or this type

rather then one single tube... so i only focus the lights on planted sections of the tank.. and not on the open spaces. its an experiment i guess if you can call it that... i have a tank in a living room/dining room divider cabinet.. so dont need a hood i can install the fixitures into the cabinet...

i'll either do the above or just buy a standard lighting fixture... trying to decide... :P

thanks for the help.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    rijac:

I have used both types before for small tanks.

If your tank is larger, better use those higher wattage ones for better light penetration. I would also have even lighting over all parts of the tank if possible. Who know's next time you need to re-scape your tank?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score

Re:

[quote:59b685e5a7="juggler"]rijac:

I have used both types before for small tanks.

If your tank is larger, better use those higher wattage ones for better light penetration. I would also have even lighting over all parts of the tank if possible. Who know's next time you need to re-scape your tank?[/quote:59b685e5a7]

thanks for the advice.. makes sense... anyway its a 20 gallon niah... probably will go with a 55w pl... thanks..

This gonna sound a little dumb. But have wondered for a long time.

If 11W equivalent to 60W.
    Then, if I got a 1 gallon tank, is my lighting
    11wpg or 60wpg?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re:

[quote:1a8e2fae48="spilopterus"]This gonna sound a little dumb. But have wondered for a long time.

If 11W equivalent to 60W.
    Then, if I got a 1 gallon tank, is my lighting
    11wpg or 60wpg?

[/quote:1a8e2fae48]

11 wpg