Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Betta in community tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    anyone tried this before? did the betta settle in well?

my tank consists of neons and rummies.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    very hard to say. Fancy bettas can get too harassed by tetras/barbs, who may try to nip the long fins. Wild-type fighters (Mahachai, plakats) can hold their own better, but in turn can be aggressive.... i have seen them attacking shrimps and fishes like croaking gouramis (which look similar in shape to bettas)..... but bettas have different personalities, so you won't know until you have put in the fish.... if you want to be safe, put in a female instead.

Wild bettas are another thing. Robust species like pugnax are peaceful but predatory. More delicately-built ones like coccina don't compete well with active schoolers.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Betta in community tank?

[quote:3a9e548e="ahdi"]anyone tried this before? did the betta settle in well?

my tank consists of neons and rummies.[/quote:3a9e548e]

Have you ever felt like a "fish out of water" when in certain environment? Well that's how your betta will feel in a community tank. Bettas like still waters that don't run deep. :P I've tried it and I tell you, they don't like it one bit.

Bettas are loners!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

This is my experience...

I have a red male crowntail betta that has lived in my community planted tank for >2 years (who say life span of betta is abt 1 yr ) and is still with me now. I think he is the happiest betta I have seen.

He wanders all over the tank like a prince, definitely not like a fish out of water. I have not experience any fin/tail nipping.

During the 2-year stay, her tankmates includes:
    cardinal tetras
    german rams
    harlequin rasboras
    SAE
    otos
    cherry barbs
    corys
    yamato shrimps
    malayan shrimps (most of them became victim of the betta and rams)

I feed him with dried flakes and frozen bloodworms. He is always the first to the food and never have any problem competing for food.

Ocassionally I checked him out to see whether he still have the "fighting spirit" by holding up a mirror to him. He sure has not lost his fighting fish personality in front of the "invader".

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

[quote:bddf3fc3="bclee"]He wanders all over the tank like a prince, definitely not like a fish out of water.[/quote:bddf3fc3]

He's probably an extra-terrestrial betta.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

[quote:dbc5422ae1="elmike"][quote:dbc5422ae1="bclee"]He wanders all over the tank like a prince, definitely not like a fish out of water.[/quote:dbc5422ae1]

He's probably an extra-terrestrial betta. [/quote:dbc5422ae1]

You can catch a glimpse of my ET betta here. The photos were taken about 1.5 years back.
    http://www.arofanatics.com/members/t...ftplantedtank/

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I tried twice actually. I once had 2 male bettas. I thought it would be fun to see bettas gracing the deepwaters of my community tank. But my dear betta was in distress most of the time and hid at the corner of the tank. Of course, there were bullies around, like the dwarf gouramis. I eventually netted him out.

The following week, I got the itch again and I put in the more garang one, which I thought would hantam the bullies...but he turned into a mouse as soon as he hit the water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

[quote:c4bb451ec0="bclee"][quote:c4bb451ec0="elmike"][quote:c4bb451ec0="bclee"]He wanders all over the tank like a prince, definitely not like a fish out of water.[/quote:c4bb451ec0]

He's probably an extra-terrestrial betta. [/quote:c4bb451ec0]

You can catch a glimpse of my ET betta here. The photos were taken about 1.5 years back.

BC [/quote:c4bb451ec0]

i can't seem to be able to locate the betta leh... lolz....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:623e686b3a="budak"]very hard to say. Fancy bettas can get too harassed by tetras/barbs, who may try to nip the long fins. Wild-type fighters (Mahachai, plakats) can hold their own better, but in turn can be aggressive.... i have seen them attacking shrimps and fishes like croaking gouramis (which look similar in shape to bettas)..... but bettas have different personalities, so you won't know until you have put in the fish.... if you want to be safe, put in a female instead.

Wild bettas are another thing. Robust species like pugnax are peaceful but predatory. More delicately-built ones like coccina don't compete well with active schoolers.[/quote:623e686b3a]

don't think rummies and neons will nip right? i've got otos and yamatos as well. i thought of getting those really fancy betta...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

[quote:d316de3944="ahdi"][quote:d316de3944="bclee"]

BC [/quote:d316de3944]

i can't seem to be able to locate the betta leh... lolz....[/quote:d316de3944]

He is dark red in colour...

1st pic - he is near the surface in the left corner
    2nd pic - same position but partially hidden by the Barclaya
    3rd pic - that's my ram
    4th pic - again in the left corner near the surface among the Barclaya
    5th pic - he is in the middle near the surface, among the Valisneria
    6th pic - he is on the left side mid depth near the crypts, he is facing away from the camera so a bit hard to spot.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

[quote:babf3cfadf="bclee"]1st pic - he is near the surface in the left corner[/quote:babf3cfadf]

Poor chap. He’s got to swim 500 miles up to get a gulp of air.

I've tried to put my bettas in a planted tank with various barbs. They seemed happier if there are lots of floating plants.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi, bettas can live with other fishes peacefully as long as they do not have long fins which the bettas might be tempted to nip at them. Those bettas you see at the market are rejected fighters, meaning that they have been tested but not good enough for arena fights. Therefore, they are still very aggressive and not suitable for community tanks.

Hybrids, however, are not bred for fights but for color. Therefore they mostly have no sharp teeth and mostly cannot deal much damage to any fishes. And they are not as aggressive as those 1 dollar ones in the market. So they might be a better choice for community fishes
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face