Country
    Singapore

How to use these ????

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Bros,

I have some potassium permanganate crystal & hydrogen peroxide solution.

Anyone knows their difference?

How much should I use for Potassium permanganate? How long should I soak the plants & what to do after soaking?

As for hydrogen peroxide, what it is for?

Thanks for your help.
    Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Potassium Permaganate and Hydrogen Peroxide

Both compounding are extremely strong oxidising agents that are commonly used to clean/sterilise objects. In the highly concentrated form, they cause "burns".

Potassium permaganate (KMnO5) crystals dissolve readily in water to form a purple solution; be careful, the crystals and the solution will stain (even skin) and the stain is very hard to remove.

On the other hand, hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is a colourless liquid solution that will bleach.

Basically, you need a very diluted form of either solution for cleaning purposes, probably 1%. Soaking times depends on how much torture your plants can take. For delicate plants, 30 to 60 seconds; for hardy plants, not more than 3 minutes; anything more, your plants will be killed!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Potassium Permaganate and Hydrogen Peroxide

[quote:4d4c2112da="gks"]Both compounding are extremely strong oxidising agents that are commonly used to clean/sterilise objects. In the highly concentrated form, they cause "burns".

Potassium permaganate (KMnO5) crystals dissolve readily in water to form a purple solution; be careful, the crystals and the solution will stain (even skin) and the stain is very hard to remove.

On the other hand, hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is a colourless liquid solution that will bleach.

Basically, you need a very diluted form of either solution for cleaning purposes, probably 1%. Soaking times depends on how much torture your plants can take. For delicate plants, 30 to 60 seconds; for hardy plants, not more than 3 minutes; anything more, your plants will be killed![/quote:4d4c2112da]

Thanks for the reply.

Just to check, after soaking the plants, I guess I need to rinse the plants with tap water to remove any agent. But will it be save to introduce the plants straight into tank as will there be any residue stain to the plant that will harm the livestocks in the tank?
    Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Potasssium permanganate and hydrogen peroxide residue

Small amounts of potassium permanganate residue will not harm your fishes (but if the plant is stained, the stained portion will mostly likely decay and die, survival of the plant depends on how hardy/healthy it is).

Hydrogen peroxide washes away rather easily as it is water soluble. I suggest that after the rinse, just soak it in clean water (for about a minute) before placing them in your tank.