Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Discus, Ranchu and Cories

Feedback Score

Discus, Ranchu and Cories

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Due to the limitation of space, I am thinking of adding discus to my current Ranchu and cory 30 g tank. Comments please. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I saw people doing it. Why not?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the encouragment. Cos I have read too many stuff on the net on the water quality and tank size on keeping Ranchu and discus. Based on that, I think I need at least a 4 ft tank to keep either one and not to mix them together. Btw, any thing I need to take care or take note of in keeping them in the same tank ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Discus, Ranchu and Cories

I don't get you. If you say you have space limitations, why do you want to add more fish to your tank? I presume a 30 G tank is between 2-3 feet long. Granted, the fishes in question are not incompatible, but have you considered whether the tank can hold them all and yet maintain a healthy environment? Do you have sufficient filtration? Is there space for shyer fish to hide? Discus and goldfish get pretty big, and I don't think it's nice to put them in a tank too small for their size and a crowded one at that.

And PLEASE try to post in the correct subforum next time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    * moved *

How many of each type of fishes are there?

Anyway, if you want help, you should provide more info and ask clearer questions. Else, it's hard for anyone to give you good comments.

Discus needs good quality water. Goldfish in general are great waste producers. They both get fairly large (with respect to fish-load) for a 30G tank. Not a good idea.

You can probably get away with it in a 4ft tank, but it depends on the fish-load, filtration system, water change routine, etc. You have to be careful not to overfeed and to clear the uneaten food quickly.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:aa3e098df8="GreyMan"]Thanks for the encouragment. Cos I have read too many stuff on the net on the water quality and tank size on keeping Ranchu and discus. Based on that, I think I need at least a 4 ft tank to keep either one and not to mix them together. Btw, any thing I need to take care or take note of in keeping them in the same tank ?[/quote:aa3e098df8]

Hi,
    You have to careful about the bioload. Make sure your filtration can support it. Dicuss need good water condition to strive, so if u really wan to mix discus and goldfish, try using cheaper discus, it will not be surprise after a few days of mixing a expensive beautiful discus with goldfish, the color of the discus will fade off. Try to have water changes more frequently.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    goldfish are gluttons - your discus will probably be stunted in the environ you'd described

Feedback Score
    Ya, u r rite. I juz realize that. The goldies are PIGS !! They rushed to the food fast and swallow them like drinking water.