Singapore

Re: Eheim Classic Canister Filter for 60cm x 30cm x 36 cm

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudwane View Post
    Hi UA,

Do you have any spare 100ml bag lying around which I can purchase from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arron View Post
    Yeah I would like to purchase it as well
    Sorry, i don't have anymore spare packs at the moment.

But if you guys are keen, just order them directly though Amazon, here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its currently eligible for global free shipping for purchases above USD$125, so maybe someone can pool orders together to get those packs.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ok thanks UA!

Just to check again, regarding the reduction of the flow, do I adjust on the output tap or both the input and output tap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just to check again, regarding the reduction of the flow, do I adjust on the output tap or both the input and output tap?

To reduce the flow rate, only adjust the output tap.

Don't adjust the input tap as that might cause air pockets to accumulate over time in the filter and may eventually result in the impeller running dry.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Local don't sell the 100ml?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
    Local don't sell the 100ml?
    I've checked around at most of the popular LFS and they seem to only sell the loose form in bottles, so far haven't spotted the pre-packed 100ml bag versions available in local shops.

If anyone manage to find them locally, do post an update on it.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

singapore doesnt sell i believe, but we can always stock up on the mesh bag that is specially made for storing purigen at amazon if anyone buys anything there (which i might, in July)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The odd thing is the Seachem mesh pouch (aka The Bag) on its own currently costs more than the 100ml Purigen pack on Amazon (which already comes packaged in a mesh pouch)... so its more worth it to just buy the 100ml Purigen packs instead.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

that is true, but the bag can hold more volume per pouch, depending on individual i believe. pouch version comes in 250ml as well

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I just did a search on amazon and both cost around $10.95 before shipment. In term of long term usage, would it be a better choice to get the bag and refill if we do not want to clean it in bleach?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Finally managed to drop by C328 to purchase the Ecco Pro 300. Setup was a breeze for a newbie like me.

As for the Seachem Purigen, I'm staying at the West and I'm going to order some Seachem purigen 100ML, those whom are interested to share can drop me a message. Probably I will be trying to purchase above $125 in which there will be free shipping, hence gonna be getting some books as well.

Btw, for the setup on the media, right now I'm using Eheim Mech (Black colour) for the base basket, followed by 2 basket trays of Seachem Matrix as and lastly the white wool with the pre-filter coarse blue filter at the top. Have not used both the Eheim Mech Pro and the SubstratePro.

Any advise if the media setup should be changed?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    I've checked around at most of the popular LFS and they seem to only sell the loose form in bottles, so far haven't spotted the pre-packed 100ml bag versions available in local shops.

If anyone manage to find them locally, do post an update on it.
    Have checked with both PolyArt and C328 and both does not sell the 100ML bag. Only the bottled purigen

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I just did a search on amazon and both cost around $10.95 before shipment. In term of long term usage, would it be a better choice to get the bag and refill if we do not want to clean it in bleach?
    I guess it depends which method you prefer... if you have a few tanks then the individual packs are abit more handy (some users don't bother to recharge and just buy spare packs to replace every few months), but if you have a large tank then getting the loose form and larger reusable bag separately would work out better.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

To reduce the flow rate, only adjust the output tap.

Don't adjust the input tap as that might cause air pockets to accumulate over time in the filter and may eventually result in the impeller running dry.
    Will there be any ill-effects to the pump if the outflow were to be reduced but the inflow is still going at full rate?

Not sure if I understand as there are more water coming filter in and jam at the output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Btw, for the setup on the media, right now I'm using Eheim Mech (Black colour) for the base basket, followed by 2 basket trays of Seachem Matrix as and lastly the white wool with the pre-filter coarse blue filter at the top. Have not used both the Eheim Mech Pro and the SubstratePro.

Any advise if the media setup should be changed?
    Your setup looks okay... i never got to use those black plastic "mech" tubes though (couldn't see how it could trap dirt with its large gaps, since the pre-filter sponge already did most of the debris-trapping job at the beginning), but i guess it probably still helps in some way.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Will there be any ill-effects to the pump if the outflow were to be reduced but the inflow is still going at full rate?

Not sure if I understand as there are more water coming filter in and jam at the output.
    Adjusting the outflow to control the flow rate is a standard practice with flow systems (you'll also see it as a recommended step in the Eheim filter manual)... the narrowing of the output slows down the water flow, its like using the faucet tap on your kitchen sink.

The filter's impeller will not be damaged or under much additional strain with a reduced output flow rate, the incoming water will just recirculate inside the filter.

On the otherhand, although its possible to try to adjust the input to match the output, the risk is if the out/in flow ratio becomes unbalanced (ie. due to clogged intake pipe or filter sponges over time) and the input somehow becomes slower than the output (less water going in to the impeller than coming out), then air gaps will form and the impeller may end up running dry, heat up and result in damage.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 23rd May 2014 at 02:06.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Adjusting the outflow to control the flow rate is a standard practice with flow systems (you'll also see it as a recommended step in the Eheim filter manual)... the narrowing of the output slows down the water flow, its like using the faucet tap on your kitchen sink.

The filter's impeller will not be damaged or under much additional strain with a reduced output flow rate, the incoming water will just recirculate inside the filter.

On the otherhand, although its possible to try to adjust the input to match the output, the risk is if the out/in flow ratio becomes unbalanced (ie. due to clogged intake pipe or filter sponges over time) and the input somehow becomes slower than the output (less water going in to the impeller than coming out), then air gaps will form and the impeller may end up running dry, heat up and result in damage.
    Thanks UA, noted on that.

Further queries:
    1) I believe the Seachem Matrix would not be required to be replaced at all right? The only replacement required would be the white and blue sponge if they get really dirty and un-washable.
    2) What about the Eheim Mech for the mechanical filtration, does it require to be replaced as well?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Do you simply put the 100ml on top of the filter wool before the impeller, or below the filter wool? Is one pack enough for 2215, wouldn't the water just pass by the side of it?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks UA, noted on that.

Further queries:
    1) I believe the Seachem Matrix would not be required to be replaced at all right? The only replacement required would be the white and blue sponge if they get really dirty and un-washable.
    2) What about the Eheim Mech for the mechanical filtration, does it require to be replaced as well?
    Matrix doesn't have to be replaced. The white filter wool will need to be replaced regularly when it becomes clogged with fine debris and turns brown over time. The blue pre-filter sponge can be washed repeatedly and reused, only replace it if you see that its starting to break apart due to wear and tear.

Not sure about the eheim mech plastic tube media as i don't use it, but i guess it probably doesn't need to be replaced too, unless its breaking apart.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Do you simply put the 100ml on top of the filter wool before the impeller, or below the filter wool? Is one pack enough for 2215, wouldn't the water just pass by the side of it?
    Yes, i put the 100ml Purigen pack on top of the white filter wool just before the impeller.

This is so that only filtered water with no debris flows through the purigen pack. The key to getting good circulation through the mesh pack is to give it more space between the filter wool and the top of the media basket (just slightly reduce the amount of media in that last basket), that way the granules can "tumble" around loosely in the mesh bag and maximize contact with the water.

You can see the effect when doing filter maintenance, the whole Purigen pack should be a uniform brown color... if the bag has some parts brown while some parts are still white, then it means its been packed too tightly and the water is only flowing though certain areas, which reduces its efficiency.

One 100ml pack is supposed to treat 100 gallons, so i guess it should be enough for most tanks a 2215 is used on, though there is no harm in using more Purigen, the higher quantity just means that it'll last longer between recharges... just a matter of balancing the space allocation between chemical filtration and bio filtration.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 23rd May 2014 at 12:52.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

uploadfromtaptalk1400836394083.jpg believe me or not there are two baby shrimps on that driftwood. One is black and white the other almost transparent with golden eyes. Both came from a femal PRL

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast