Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Fertilizer - for Hydroponic

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Have quite a fair amount of GH brand fertilizer left over from previous hydroponic projects. It has been great with tomato and garden salads plants.

Anyone knows if they can be used for planted tanks? Attachment 41425Attachment 41426

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fertilizer - for Hydroponic

Doubt so. May cause algae outbreaks as the element concentration is not fine tuned for planted tank use.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hydroponic ferts are super concentrated compared to aquarium ferts... i remember when i used my TDS meter to measure the optimal fert dosage for growing some hydroponic vegetables, the nutrient solution TDS was in the 1,000-2,000+ ppm range.

Compare that to our aquarium ferts which usually only raise the water TDS by 10-20 ppm.

I think it could be possible to tweak the dosage much lower to suit aquariums though, but the NPK and micros ratios are probably different, so have to test and find the ideal fert combinations.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, it all about nutrient in the water for the plants. As for Aquaponic, the waste from the fish is the food source for the plants. There are very little write up on the use of hydroponic fertilizer for aquatic plants. I did not have any algae when I grew those hydroponic as my water tank was covered, also the plants were just taking up the nutrient before algae had the chance at the pots.

Anyway, there are so much leftover of the hydroponic fertilizers and if anyone wants some please feel free to get it from me.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

UA, I read up a bit and decided to try it out since there were so much leftover hydroponic fertilizers.
    I set the LED light on for 8 hrs/day with One time full dosage HF as recommended/instruction (my intended use was to cycling the tank), I also introduced 2 bettas fish after tested 0 Anmonia and Nitrite to see if they can survive the hydroponic fertilizers. I was surprised they seems to be ok.
    Today I even notice a little bubbling on the Java Moss.
    It puzzles me now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by MCE View Post
    UA, I read up a bit and decided to try it out since there were so much leftover hydroponic fertilizers.
    I set the LED light on for 8 hrs/day with One time full dosage HF as recommended/instruction (my intended use was to cycling the tank), I also introduced 2 bettas fish after tested 0 Anmonia and Nitrite to see if they can survive the hydroponic fertilizers. I was surprised they seems to be ok.
    Today I even notice a little bubbling on the Java Moss.
    It puzzles me now...
    Fishes usually don't exhibit much issues with fertilizers, bettas even more so since they are much hardier and adaptable. I guess if there are any effects it'll probably only be seen over the long term. Shrimps may have some issues though, since hydroponic ferts may contain higher concentration of copper (compared to aquarium ferts).

I guess the real test would be how much the fert mix/combos favor plants or algae after the tank is running for a while. Do update on the progress, it'll be interesting to see if those ferts can be used for planted tanks too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com