Country
    Singapore

Re: Substrates and plants for low tech aquarium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by sbladerz View Post
    How do i plant the java ferns? I don't think the roots are long enough to be in the soil. Appreciate help, thanks.
    Just tie them to rocks or wood pieces, and then let them sit on the substrate, its basically to prevent the plants from floating up.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Just tie them to rocks or wood pieces, and then let them sit on the substrate, its basically to prevent the plants from floating up.
    Thanks! And another thing. After tying the plant to a rock. Is it necessary for the roots to reach into the substrate?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sbladerz View Post
    Thanks! And another thing. After tying the plant to a rock. Is it necessary for the roots to reach into the substrate?
    Its not necessary for the roots of those type of plants to reach into the substrate, their roots are designed to take in nutrients ditectly from the water column (some of the longer roots may eventually grow into the soil to get nutrients from there too and thats okay).

After the roots have grown around the rock, you can remove the string and the plant will grip securely onto the rock on its own.

In nature such plants specialize in anchoring themselves to rocks and wood with their strong root structure.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks alot! Great information indeed!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bro Urban Aquaria, I like your creative idea of using marimo ball to make a carpet...going to try it. Do they need soil or is sand ok? Will they spread/grow if plant on solil? I was looking for sand substrate to partially fill up my tank. Went to Nature and a shop in Toa Payoh as well as seletar farmway but only one brand (think it's east ocean). 5 kg for $15. I thought sand will be much cheaper than soil but apparently. Any other shops that sell sudo sand etc which any of you can recommend? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Goalkeeper View Post
    Bro Urban Aquaria, I like your creative idea of using marimo ball to make a carpet...going to try it. Do they need soil or is sand ok? Will they spread/grow if plant on solil? I was looking for sand substrate to partially fill up my tank. Went to Nature and a shop in Toa Payoh as well as seletar farmway but only one brand (think it's east ocean). 5 kg for $15. I thought sand will be much cheaper than soil but apparently. Any other shops that sell sudo sand etc which any of you can recommend? Thanks.
    Marimo ball doesn't need any substrate to grow, they can be placed in a bare bottom tank too... it's actually cleaner that way as soil and sand tend to stick to it.

For sand you can check at places like C328, Seaview or East Ocean. They carry a range of different types and colors of sand, lots of choice.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12