Country
    Singapore

Erect Moss turn brown

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all brothers out there,

Recently my erect moss start to turn brown all the while is ok, all other plants also doing fine except the moss. Temperature is at 28 DC.

Please kindly advise.Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Togo
    theres a thread on this on www.killies.com . maybe you could go take a look.
    Cheers
    Bryan

Feedback Score
    Your tank's temperature is too high. Needs about 24C + for it to flourish. Also, it also needs lots of light, so more light comes with a higher temeprature. Take note.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:eee1976c15="CrashCourse"]Your tank's temperature is too high. Needs about 24C + for it to flourish. Also, it also needs lots of light, so more light comes with a higher temeprature. Take note.

Cheers![/quote:eee1976c15]
    The browning of Erect Moss has nothing to do with temperature. I used to have healthy Erect Moss growing in 24C as well as 28C. Now they have all turned brown

This is happening all over Singapore and many believe this has something to do the water coming out from our tap ....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It does seem to be a rather all-round phenomenon. The uncles at bioplast also face this problem (although I saw in an LFS in AMK a healthy log of the moss this week).

is this only happening to only erect moss all other kinds of plants and mosses

what shd we do to minimize the effects

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mostly Erect Moss and a few reports of Christmas Moss as well.
    We still don't know what causes it.

Feedback Score
    Too much iron, copper, zinc?

Many chemical materials effectively kill moss in lawns. Most commercial formulations contain metals such as iron (Fe), copper (Cu), or zinc (Zn) as the active ingredient. Cryptocidal (mosskilling) soaps also are available. All of these materials can kill moss, but some are more effective than others.

Iron compounds are highly effective moss killers in turf. These compounds work quickly, and the iron stimulates a "green-up" of turf. Complete fertilizers with iron efficiently remove moss and stimulate grass growth, which improves turf appearance.
    Extracted from: http://eesc.orst.edu/agcomwebfile/ed...FS55/FS55.html
    Regards.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Togo
    im staying around pierce resevoir area, water here is alright, but just 2 weeks back, water was tested to be 7.6pH. Cool eh?
    Cheers
    Bryan

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:07c4a70c18="deff"]Too much iron, copper, zinc?

Many chemical materials effectively kill moss in lawns. Most commercial formulations contain metals such as iron (Fe), copper (Cu), or zinc (Zn) as the active ingredient. Cryptocidal (mosskilling) soaps also are available. All of these materials can kill moss, but some are more effective than others.

Iron compounds are highly effective moss killers in turf. These compounds work quickly, and the iron stimulates a "green-up" of turf. Complete fertilizers with iron efficiently remove moss and stimulate grass growth, which improves turf appearance.
    Extracted from: http://eesc.orst.edu/agcomwebfile/ed...FS55/FS55.html[/quote:07c4a70c18]

sorry for bringing up an old thread.

i am facing the same problem. my moss is in the same tank as my ferns and crypts and valis in an ambient lit setting. while there are new fronds appearing, the older ferns (in contact with light still) are turning brown mid section and after reading this thread, i had recently dosed the tank slightly 5ml over 80 liters, with tetrapride red.

does it mean that (inferred from this thread) iron/iron compund fertilisers are no no for moss? if so how to do the fertilisation for other plants?