Country
    Singapore

Tank seems to warp!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I have a 3ft tank and the centre rib at the top of the tank joining the front and back wall glass came off.

I later found out that the glass at both sides seem to wrp and therefore it created a gap that causes the centre rib to be dislodged.

I need to fly off on business for the next few days and I pray to god that nothing will happen during this period.

Anyone experienced this before and any solutions?

.. Peng Kang

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The rib or what we call a brace is there to prevent the warping. I suggest that you lower the water level by 50% until you get the brace re-installed. That or risk having your house flooded.

If the glass breaks, it will probably crack completely in the middle and the water will gush out so fast that you probably won't have a chance to stop the flooding even if you happen to be home.

Fixing it will probably require you to empty the tank and let it stay empty for a day or more to let the silicon cure. I suspect, once you add the labour and transport fee, you might as well get a brand new tank.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Tank seems to warp!!

[quote:a7ce70da3b="Peng Kang Hill"]Hi all,

I have a 3ft tank and the centre rib at the top of the tank joining the front and back wall glass came off.

I later found out that the glass at both sides seem to wrp and therefore it created a gap that causes the centre rib to be dislodged.

I need to fly off on business for the next few days and I pray to god that nothing will happen during this period.

Anyone experienced this before and any solutions?

.. Peng Kang[/quote:a7ce70da3b]

how thick is the tank wall? I am surprised you need centre bracing for a 3ft tank. bring implies the wall is not really thick enough. If true I'd suggest you go along with Vinz and get a new tank.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for your advise.

Where is a good place that I can get a new tank? How thick should the glass preferably be? Also, what about those clear perspect or plastic ones? Any opinions?

.. Peng Kang

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Here is an interesting DIY on constructing a glass aquarium tank: How to calculate glass thickness.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Cool link. I was searching for that info some time back and could not find it.

Peng Kang, most tank makers will know what thickness to use for their tank design. If you ask for braceless or at least a tank that has no middle brace, they will increase the glass thickness accordingly.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.