Country
    Singapore

Water PH

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys

I'm setting up a 2 feet tank with chiller based on the same setup as recommended in GC website using humic, bacter crystal, vigor and mineral. Borneowild mineral rocks and drift wood will be added too with some moss.

The PH of the water from my tap is above 8.0 range using API kit. As I plan to keep CRS, I'll want to keep the PH low but not increasing in a RO at this time due to cost. Already spent a bomb in this setup.

Any advice if my setup is enough to buffer my PH to desirable level on long term basis?

Will it be safe if I use Mosura PH down on the tap water after adding prime and leaving it overnight?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Water PH

My advice is to go through with your planned setup. You didn't mention what kind of soil you're using but I will assume that it will be an active soil like the ADA Amazonia.

Carry out the cycling process and when your tank is properly cycled, use a pH test then and see what is the pH. If the pH is 6.5 and below, you can keep CRS. There are breeders who keep CRS at pH 7.0 to 8.0 too! The most important thing you should take note of is stable water parameters (make sure they don't fluctuate) rather than worry about whether they are too high or too low.

If you're really worried, you can then use the various pH down products to adjust your pH.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks xuan87.

Been keeping shrimps for 6 months and been losing shrimps so want to make it right this time.

I'm using borneowild shrimp soil which provides buffer for PH too. So I've borneowild humic, shrimp soil and malayan drift wood which will help buffer my ph. Hopefully can buffer at acidic and stable PH.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

There are many factors to look at when you are losing shrimps regularly, pH may not be the sole factor or even one of the factors.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Xuan87 agreed.

Narrowed down to few possibilities.

One of them is high PH and GH. Already high PH yet I unintentionally used a declorinator that boast PH.

Another reason was temperature. For awhile the deaths stopped and got stabilised until the dry season kicked in couple of months ago raising water temperature.

Also my current tank is a 5g. Had to top up water constantly due to evaporation as I have my fan on. So guessed my water is never stable. That's why getting a proper chiller and new 25g tank, hopefully the parameters can be stable.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

From my experience, if you are using soil similar to ADA, the PH will be very low when your soil is new.
    I have a 2ft tank (27litres), ada soil and some plants/mosses, small coconut husk cave and 2 very small ada driftwood. My PH was 4.5. I removed a coconut husk as PH was too low, now my PH is 5, and until date, it is still 5.
    I'm running my tank with ada for 3 mths.
    So if your soil is able to buffer, it will be fine.
    By the way, my aged tap water is ph 8 and above.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Starlett.. That's nice to know. Will have to try it out. I'll love a PH of 6.0 to 6.6 at best. Wish me luck.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Aim your pH slightly lower, that will be good for your shrimplets too!
    >:<> DREAM SHRIMP <>:<
    http://dreamshrimp.wordpress.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Xmant.. If that's achievable and stable I will.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bought a TDS pen. My tap water TDS is about 80 ppm after leaving to sit for 15 hours. Should be safe to be used for CRS without boasting TDS every water change?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk