Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: PH buffer question.. DW+Gex soil + crushed corals = OK?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

PH buffer question.. DW+Gex soil + crushed corals = OK?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have setup another 2ft shrimp tank recently with a large driftwood and Gex soil. This has made the water slightly acidic at around PH6.4. I'm actually planning to keep fire red shrimps as well as rabbit snails and for the latter, it seems it requires higher PH.

Can I put in crushed corals to buffer the PH even though I have the dw etc, will this be detrimental to the shrimps and snail? Will there be constant PH fluctuations or will the water simply find an equilibrium? Would like some advise from bros who have tried something similar, thanks!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: PH buffer question.. DW+Gex soil + crushed corals = OK?

I've kept rabbit snails in a tank with around 6.6-6.8 pH for almost a year and they seemed to do okay, i guess they can adapt to slightly acidic water (as long as it doesn't get too acidic), as with most snails. I just have a small mineral rock in the tank to provide them with some additional calcium and minerals to maintain their shells.

I guess if you want to breed them over the long term, keeping the pH above 7.0 would be good... then it would be better to just change the substrate to something more neutral like inert sand. No point having to keep adding more opposing buffers which could lead to unpredictable pH swings if one exhausts without warning. Maintaining a stable pH is more important.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

When I started out shrimping I used Gex shrimp soil. Being a newbie thinking that coral chips will aid in calcium(molting) I happily sprinkled a handful of coral chips at the bottom of the tank and topped it off with the soil. Initial pH is 6-6.5. 2 months later. 6.5-7.5. 5 months later. Went to 7.5-8. Luckily I was keeping neos but it sure is fluctuating. I've read a very deep explanation of what coral chips will do like raising a component(GH or kh) and raising the pH as well. I think the Gex soil exhausted within 6 months. Then I changed to RAC soil with no coral chips as I've bought mineral rocks.

I talk too much. What I meant was. If you want a alkaline water. Use inert substrate and add coral chips to boost a little pH . As using soil that has pH lowering capabilities coupled with additives that raise pH. The soil is definitely losing its ability to buffer it for a long time
    Recent studies shows that putting recent studies in your statement have a higher percentage of trust people put into your recent studies. What?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    I've kept rabbit snails in a tank with around 6.6-6.8 pH for almost a year and they seemed to do okay, i guess they can adapt to slightly acidic water (as long as it doesn't get too acidic), as with most snails. I just have a small mineral rock in the tank to provide them with some additional calcium and minerals to maintain their shells.

I guess if you want to breed them over the long term, keeping the pH above 7.0 would be good... then it would be better to just change the substrate to something more neutral like inert sand. No point having to keep adding more opposing buffers which could lead to unpredictable pH swings if one exhausts without warning. Maintaining a stable pH is more important.
    Yeah will definitely stick to inert sand next time ... Was advise to at least use soil to keep water PH down but now I want rabbit snails, so abit headache. Wouldn't be looking to change substrate this time round as I just bought 4kg of gex. Hopefully the snails survive the PH they are in. I probably put abit of corals into my filter, hopefully it can bring PH up to 6.8

any suggestions on black inert sand?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Naraki View Post
    When I started out shrimping I used Gex shrimp soil. Being a newbie thinking that coral chips will aid in calcium(molting) I happily sprinkled a handful of coral chips at the bottom of the tank and topped it off with the soil. Initial pH is 6-6.5. 2 months later. 6.5-7.5. 5 months later. Went to 7.5-8. Luckily I was keeping neos but it sure is fluctuating. I've read a very deep explanation of what coral chips will do like raising a component(GH or kh) and raising the pH as well. I think the Gex soil exhausted within 6 months. Then I changed to RAC soil with no coral chips as I've bought mineral rocks.

I talk too much. What I meant was. If you want a alkaline water. Use inert substrate and add coral chips to boost a little pH . As using soil that has pH lowering capabilities coupled with additives that raise pH. The soil is definitely losing its ability to buffer it for a long time
    would a higher PH like 7.5 be suitable for red cherry shrimps?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Yes, RCS can tolerate a wide pH of ~6 to 7.5. But you must acclimatise them slowly.
    I've heard of cases where cherries are in pH 8. Breeding like rabbits
    Recent studies shows that putting recent studies in your statement have a higher percentage of trust people put into your recent studies. What?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah will definitely stick to inert sand next time ... Was advise to at least use soil to keep water PH down but now I want rabbit snails, so abit headache. Wouldn't be looking to change substrate this time round as I just bought 4kg of gex. Hopefully the snails survive the PH they are in. I probably put abit of corals into my filter, hopefully it can bring PH up to 6.8

any suggestions on black inert sand?
    From my experience with Gex soil, it tends to exhaust it's buffering ability relatively quickly, might be even faster if alkaline buffers or higher pH tap water are used... so do monitor the pH if you are using additional buffers to avoid sudden pH swings.

For inert black substrates, you could try Dennerle Nano Shrimp Gravel:

http://www.dennerle.eu/global/index....id=179&lang=en

They are pH neutral, and look like tiny grain soil, almost like ADA powder type. I've seen them on sale at C328, maybe can check there.

Cherry shrimps are okay at 7.5 pH... they are very adaptable and can thrive in a wide range of pH, just take some time to drip acclimate them before introduction to a tank.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    From my experience with Gex soil, it tends to exhaust it's buffering ability relatively quickly, might be even faster if alkaline buffers or higher pH tap water are used... so do monitor the pH if you are using additional buffers to avoid sudden pH swings.

For inert black substrates, you could try Dennerle Nano Shrimp Gravel:

http://www.dennerle.eu/global/index....id=179&lang=en

They are pH neutral, and look like tiny grain soil, almost like ADA powder type. I've seen them on sale at C328, maybe can check there.

Cherry shrimps are okay at 7.5 pH... they are very adaptable and can thrive in a wide range of pH, just take some time to drip acclimate them before introduction to a tank.
    Breeding still possible in that range? Cos I'm looking forward to breed them.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Breeding still possible in that range? Cos I'm looking forward to breed them.
    Definitely... i've kept cherry shrimps in a bare bottom quarantine tank with 7.2-7.4+ pH (no active soil or added buffers, the pH is same as the de-chlorinated tap water used), and they still breed without issues.

The only thing with higher pH tanks is a higher percentage of ammonia is in its more toxic form, so make sure it is fully cycled and ammonia maintains at 0, before adding livestock in.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by markus92 View Post
    UA, did u feed them or they scavenged off the plants?
    I don't specificially feed them, i only feed the fishes that are being held there and the shrimps just scavenge the leftover pellets that the fishes missed (they are meant to be the cleanup crew anyways), rest of the time they just graze on the plants and algae.
    www.urbanaquaria.com