Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

New to crs

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone, I am going to set up a crs tank wishing bros here can advise..
    I am not new to shrimp keeping , previously only kept cherries but able to have them survive for almost 1 year before I decomm the tank.
    Wanna try out crs instead..

Current plan.

1.5ft five plan gex tank

Sponge filter

Ans cooling fan 3000( I know crs needs chiller but I am not ready to invest on one yet due to $$ issue so decided to use fan and only keep normal grade crs)

Soil(Ada or gex?)

Additives (need help on this too, currently I can only think of old sea mud)

Plants ( this is gonnwr be a pure shrimp tank, currently thinking of adding some mini frogbits and for centre piece a driftwood with mini fisseden? Please advise)

Normal grade crs( will only buy when my tank is fully cycles)

Bros please advise ! Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FAILURE IS THE MOTHER OF ALL SUCCESS

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: New to crs

Hi, your plans sounds fine.
    1.5ft is rather a small tank so a good cooling fan like ans should be able to keep the water cool enough to go below 28 degrees.
    Just be careful when you top your evaporated water daily by toppping up slowly, age the water first, etc...
    In my opinion, mini fissidens do not do well in fan cooled water, like anything above 26 degrees. At least mine looked horrible after some time, as it was not growing well, they are better in cooler waters.
    Good luck to your CRS tank!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm I suggest you can get some benibachi bee3 or beemax. It helps mature the soil faster but beware my room smelled like a dumpster when I used it below the substrate I'm not sure if that's the cause. You can also try bt 9, for the base as it speeds up cycling too. Try not to add rocks as it might be a hassle if you suddenly realised they are not inert. Try keep it as simple as possible so counting the shrimps will be easy. I honestly like the borneowild shrimp soil as the water parameters stabilised incredibly quick for me. I suggest you get moss and just tie to driftwood, moss doesn't need much light so algea will not be much of a problem

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You can use RAC soil and additives from Aquarist Chamber.

They also carry nice plants and driftwoods.

I got most of my items from them.

From mobile

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Actually, keeping CRS is not so different from keeping cherries. When I was starting out, I kept cherries before introducing CRS into the same tank. I noticed my CRS having higher survival rates compared to my cherries at that time LOL!

My advice is just go with the same setup that you previously did. If your cherries can survive then, CRS should also be able to survive this time round.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

In my opinion, it really depends on the water parameters and stability of the tank. Crs are proven to be more sensitive and affected by swings in water parameters.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by xuan87 View Post
    Actually, keeping CRS is not so different from keeping cherries. When I was starting out, I kept cherries before introducing CRS into the same tank. I noticed my CRS having higher survival rates compared to my cherries at that time LOL!

My advice is just go with the same setup that you previously did. If your cherries can survive then, CRS should also be able to survive this time round.

other than being more sensitive, i think caridina species aka crs seems tougher than cherries. any other opinions?