Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Product Review - Ocean Free Surf Clear

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Bro, can pm me the price at y618? Thanks bro!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mercur1al View Post
    Bro, can pm me the price at y618? Thanks bro!
    Cheaper by $1 of what TS stated. You can call and ask, so won't make a wasted trip.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Will call them dude. Thanks!

Feedback Score

I'm just curious; where does the surface oil film goes to? Is there a material in the surface skimmer that absorbs it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Some of it gets dissolved back into the water and some of it gets trapped in the sponge in it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stream View Post
    I'm just curious; where does the surface oil film goes to? Is there a material in the surface skimmer that absorbs it?
    Yeah, there is a sponge media inside the skimmer chamber, the debris and oil film will get trapped inside the sponge... some of the oil will also get mixed back into the water column too.

You'll have to remove the sponge media regularly to clean it, same like a filter.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I bought 2 of the skimmer for my 522 planted tank when i first started it after reading Urban Aquaria's review about it. no regrets, better than Eheim350 in my honest views.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ipit View Post
    I bought 2 of the skimmer for my 522 planted tank when i first started it after reading Urban Aquaria's review about it. no regrets, better than Eheim350 in my honest views.
    Did you try running with just one only?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

One can but need to clear daily. I use 2 because I OCD hahaha balanced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

One can but need to clear daily. I use 2 because I OCD hahaha balanced.
    Yeah, i'd guess 2 units would be more effective for such a large tank surface area... a 522 tank has 10x the surface area of a 2ft tank!
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

because I OCD hahaha balanced.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My 4X2 is doing ok with 1 but I do clear it twice a week.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Awwww... Hahaha. Mine still traps dead leaves and does a good job of gathering them at the skimmer and it just does that without trapping my fauna especially ottos which I encountered when using eheim skim350

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Having used the OF skimmer for a bit, can safely say it works really well.

Only complain I have is the sheer size of it, in my 1.5ft that thing is massive. Kindly of defeats the purpose of having nice transparent lily pipes when the skimmer sticks out.

Anyone come across a small skimmer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If you have the budget, ADA Vuppa. ANS has a cheaper version and there are some chinese copies on EBay
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, the ADA Vuppa (and the many cheaper copies from china) looks much nicer... though they don't have a floating skimmer head so you need to constantly manually adjust it as the water level changes.

All of current surface skimmer units available at the moment do still look too distracting in most tanks (especially in smaller tanks), it would be good if someone were to design a smaller and more compact version for nano tanks.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Actually, i almost forgot... there is an alternative for smaller tanks, can consider using a hang-on back filter with surface skimmer feature, like the Ocean Free Ultra Slim Filter:

Photo from Google Images.

The inbuilt surface skimmer is alot less intrusive than a separate submerged skimmer unit... and it provides both filtration and skimming function in the same unit.

For tanks that use canister filters, this hang-on filter model could also be used as a secondary filtration unit too.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jiajuen900 View Post
    If you have the budget, ADA Vuppa. ANS has a cheaper version and there are some chinese copies on EBay
    Anything with the word ANS scares me.... hahahaha... I saw a stainless steel version earlier too. But it was $100+ as well. Not worth it imo, plus the water level needs to be adjusted properly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yeah, the ADA Vuppa (and the many cheaper copies from china) looks much nicer... though they don't have a floating skimmer head so you need to constantly manually adjust it as the water level changes.

All of current surface skimmer units available at the moment do still look too distracting in most tanks (especially in smaller tanks), it would be good if someone were to design a smaller and more compact version for nano tanks.
    Or they could change colour scheme to green/red etc to suit aquatic plants!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Actually, i almost forgot... there is an alternative for smaller tanks, can consider using a hang-on back filter with surface skimmer feature, like the Ocean Free Ultra Slim Filter:

Photo from Google Images.

The inbuilt surface skimmer is alot less intrusive than a separate submerged skimmer unit... and it provides both filtration and skimming function in the same unit.

For tanks that use canister filters, this hang-on filter model could also be used as a secondary filtration unit too.
    I did consider this earlier, but was thinking that i will have to switch it off when injecting CO2 to minimize Co2 loss. Might kill the bacteria each time the filter is stopped (8 hours), and put the tank into a mini cycling period again each time i restart the filter. In addition, i top up my water to a fairly high level, does using this mean the water can only be topped up to the height of the skimmer?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast