4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Smile Product Review - Ocean Free Surf Clear

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    While shopping for aquarium supplies recently, i chanced upon this new surface skimmer from Ocean Free called the Surf Clear. It seems to be a new model so i figured it'll be interesting to try it out and do a review on it.

I have used the Eheim 350 surface skimmer before, so my review will include some comparisons with that model.

The Surf Clear product box and its contents...

It operates on the popular design of a floating skimmer head and motorized pump at the bottom.

The overall build quality is quite good and all the parts fit together well. Its design does somewhat resemble the Eheim 350, and in some ways it also matches the design and color scheme of the Ocean Free Hydra internal filters too.

The inflow speed can be controlled by turning the blue skimmer container's collar left or right.

It comes with an innovative feature which allows users to simply lift the skimmer head and container straight out of the main casing to clean it, without removing the whole unit from the tank. I like this particular feature as it helps to reduce the chances of drips and spills during regular maintenance.

The motorized pump can be easily removed for cleaning whenever necessary. The power consumption and flow rate of the Surf Clear is 3W and 200 l/ph (compared to the Eheim 350 which is 5W and 300 l/ph).

Instead of a conventional single nozzle outflow design, the Surf Clear has a grill style outflow design instead, this disperses the flow to a wider area and directs a more gentle current towards its surroundings.

Here is the Surf Clear operating in one of my tanks...

I've used it in a few tanks and it worked effectively to clear up the surface oil layers.

Overall, my experience with the Surf Clear has been positive so far. I think its worth a look at if you are also in the market for a surface skimmer too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Product Review - Ocean Free Surf Clear

Btw, forgot to mention... i got it from Seavew and the retail price was SGD$33 (after the in-store 15% discount on equipment, it worked out to around SGD$28.05).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nice and sleek design!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Not bad... Can consider.. Hehehe.. Thanks for sharing

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I don't really know the actual mechanism of this model yet, but so far have you seen your livestock, particularly shrimps, in the chamber?
    I'm using eheim skimmer 350, & as effective as it is at clearing surface scum, I'm tired of clearing 20 shrimps each time I do maintenance. I have tried several methods to decrease the slits, but in doing so, the skimmer becomes ineffective due to surface tension.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Also this model seems much easier to clean. And at two-third of the price of the Eheim skimmer, it is certainly very attractive. Please continue to update us with reviews as you use this.

Feedback Score

What's the main aim/purpose of the skimmer?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by inrewind View Post
    I don't really know the actual mechanism of this model yet, but so far have you seen your livestock, particularly shrimps, in the chamber?
    I'm using eheim skimmer 350, & as effective as it is at clearing surface scum, I'm tired of clearing 20 shrimps each time I do maintenance. I have tried several methods to decrease the slits, but in doing so, the skimmer becomes ineffective due to surface tension.
    Its pretty much similar in operation to the Eheim 350, the main difference is the sponge media is inside the removable blue skimmer container (not in the main unit), so it can be easily taken out anytime for cleaning.

So far, i've only had a few tiny shrimplets crawl into the blue skimmer container, adult shrimps wouldn't be able to enter because they are too large to fit through the skimmer head grills (i occasionally even see some of them hanging out on the skimmer head grills, probably eating the bits of food or debris trapped there). I usually set the inflow speed to the minimum too (and the pump is also relatively low flow rate in the first place), which probably helps minimize the number of shrimplets being sucked into it.

Anyways, the skimmer container can be lifted up easily, so i just pull it up periodically and let any trapped shrimplets swim out, then clean the sponge.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by solidbrik View Post
    What's the main aim/purpose of the skimmer?
    A surface skimmer is designed get rid of the oil layer that forms on tank water surfaces... its quite a common issue in tanks with livestock which are fed regularly, and also in densely planted tanks where fertilizers are dosed and surface agitation is kept to a minimum to avoid Co2 losses.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score

I see I see..thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Super cool!
    I'm not a bro...I'm Mel
    "Every Daddy should bring their little girls to the fish shop on their off days!"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Seem to be another quality product from ocean free. Tempting to get one too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Okay! I just got 2 of this from seaview today. It really looks cool

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My tank has quite a bit of dust and sometimes small dead insects on the water surface, does skimmer help or is there other simpler or better way? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kimkeat View Post
    My tank has quite a bit of dust and sometimes small dead insects on the water surface, does skimmer help or is there other simpler or better way? Thanks.
    Yes, a surface skimmer will help to clear the water surface of dust and small dead insects too... just have to make sure that the sponge media in the skimmer is taken out and cleaned regularly to avoid it getting clogged up over time.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yes, a surface skimmer will help to clear the water surface of dust and small dead insects too... just have to make sure that the sponge media in the skimmer is taken out and cleaned regularly to avoid it getting clogged up over time.
    Thank you.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hey UA, thanks for the review. Going to get one for my tank soon after reading yr review.

Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the review bro. Been planning to get a surface skimmer. I chance upon surface skimmers at Sun Pets and it was in a squarish design and operated by a small pump.

It pushes the filter medium uo and down which was quite interesting. Will take a look at both and do some comparison.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks UA for the review. Definitely going to get one. Does anyone know if this skimmer is available in C328 and Polyart?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For those staying in the north and is interested y618 also selling, it comes with 1 year warranty from qian hu. I've bought one and it is good. My aquarium water surface usually have a lot of dust and oil film, after using it less than 5 minutes the surface become crystal clear. Definitely doing its job.

Imo, it is better than eheim skim 350, the output of water is much more gentler and spreaded.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast