Country
    Singapore

Advise Required

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all

I will be doing up my 4ft planted tank real soon (this sun) as I am cycling the water.

I intend to plant heavily as I have made quite a few purchases of plants via this forum (so guys will be contacting u all soon to arrange pick up) and thank you to some of the kind souls who are going to give me some of the FOC fast growing plants.

So here is my problem, basically once I finished setting up and planting all the plants, my work committments will once again force me to be out of town for the next 2 weeks. So I will not be able to watch the tank for outbreak of algae.

I do not intend to have any shrimps or fishes till the tank is stable.

I am using a 4ft PL light that will give at least 3WPG. I am using base fert as substract and covered with at least 4cm of gravel. I also intend to stick a few initial sticks into the gravel when i am planting the plants.

In view of my predicament, may i ask how much light i need to lavish on the plants and amt of Co2 to prevent algae?
    Based on the above parameters, will any outbreak of algae occurs?

Do I need to put in more fert so that the plants can grow fast and outcompete the algae?

I would very much appreciate if you can share with me some of your past experiences and pointers.

Thanks,

Rolland

if I am not wrong, Amano did put in his very early edition of aquajournal that the appearance of algae in in fact a good sign. Not all kinds though, a specific type. I cannot remember the name but it's long and wavy. Thread algae I think.

Anyway, on your tank thing. Unless you are around for those two weeks, my suggestion is to hold on collecting all the plants this week and setting it up. You won't be around to monitor and it's tough to predict what will happen cause your tank is completely new. Some people set up their tanks and they get hit by algae almost immediately. I set up mine and there wasn't a single problem. You not being around to do the tweaking could be problematic. Plus, you won't know if you might need to do a little tweaking to your hardware too. The filter, lights and CO2. They are not tested yet I presume?

If you're going away for two weeks, why not use this time to kick start your tank? Put in all the 'hardware' but plant only H.difformis. A single pot is enough and plant it around the tank. It'll grow and help the tank get through the initial stage. Then when you come back, pull out the H.difformis and put in your desired plants.