Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Question : Is HC actually emersed duck weed ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Question : Is HC actually emersed duck weed ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I have some emerse duck weed bunch which grew out stems and clutter with the hair grass . It really looks like HC . Anyone has any feedback on this ?

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Question : Is HC actually emersed duck weed ?

[quote:068aa6c8f3="neon"]Hi,

I have some emerse duck weed bunch which grew out stems and clutter with the hair grass . It really looks like HC . Anyone has any feedback on this ?

Cheers[/quote:068aa6c8f3]
    No, HC is not duckweed.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The two species are from totally different families, so it's safe to say, no. Some species of duckweed have stem-like structures, but they are all basically floating plants. Might you have a picture of your duckweed for ID?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:c24603ab47="budak"]The two species are from totally different families, so it's safe to say, no. Some species of duckweed have stem-like structures, but they are all basically floating plants. Might you have a picture of your duckweed for ID?[/quote:c24603ab47]
    Attached the picture of the emerse duck weed , but now I submerse it after the clutter is formed and growed with stem.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

The picture looks like that of HC to me..... my guess is that you had tiny bits of HC leaves and shoots floating around which developed into full plants thanks to your tank's conditions. The common Lemna minor is basically a bilobal (two lobes) frond with a single strand of root beneath it. It never develops stems.

More information on the duckweed family can be found here

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:9bc6b5f4="budak"]The picture looks like that of HC to me..... my guess is that you had tiny bits of HC leaves and shoots floating around which developed into full plants thanks to your tank's conditions. The common Lemna minor is basically a bilobal (two lobes) frond with a single strand of root beneath it. It never develops stems.

More information on the duckweed family can be found here[/quote:9bc6b5f4]
    All the while, I have the mixture of HC and duckweed. I have many duck weed on top of the water surface. As some trapped in between some of the emerse hair glass,glasso. Thought they are emerse form of the duck weed clutter formation . Wow ! I am not able to plant in the soil but ended up one whole bunch of emerse HC.

In fact a lot of my plants like java fern , java fern willov, glosso, HC, hairgrass, umbrella thrive in emerse form above the surface and under the grilling hot MH 150w .

Now I rescape my tank, all now submerse , likewise for the HC.