Images
    Country
    Singapore

Please give feedback on PUB plans for developing Reservoirs

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Singapore's water authorities (PUB) has announced plans to "develop" two reservoirs, to provide activities like wakeboarding (using motorised boats), sailing, dragon boating, radio control boats, water sports centre and pontoons. One reservoir is Bedok, which is a relatively sterile pool surrounded by industry and residential areas.

The other area is MacRitchie Reservoir, which developments like spas, F&B outlets, windsailing are being proposed. Though relatively close to the Thomson Road residential areas and the SICC golf course, MacRitchie reservoir and its adjoining rainforests are extremely rich wells of biodiversity, which the National Parks Board (a statutory body whose well-meaning efforts are sometimes negated by the goals of PUB) has admirably maintained, whilst providing unobtrusive accessibility for both nature and exercise fans. The elevated boardwalk that fringes part of the reservoir is a safe and easily navigable way to experience both the water and land-based life of the area, while the gravel paths and watchtowers in the forest at the far end of the reservoir offer greater rewards for birdwatchers and cross-country runners alike.

Where else in Singapore can you still find such an abundance of aquatic biodiversity: from tiny Boraras maculatus, croaking gouramis, 3-spot gouramis, giant gouramis, Rasbora elegans, Rasbora einthovenni, Aplocheilus panchax, Puntius hexazona, Clarias bartrachus, Trigonostima heteromorpha (harlequin rasbora), halfbeaks, tinfoil barbs and snakeheads to a motely assortment of aliens (pacus, geophagus cichlids, tilapia, arowanas, sumatran barbs).... and there is in addition the variety of plants (Cryptocoryne griffithi, Blyxa aubertii, mosses, liverworts, ferns) that grow by the banks and feeder streams. I have also found in some streams a population of Malayan River Turtles, which were not known previously to occur in Singapore at all.

The local press, in their typical cheerleading stance towards any government proposal, are claiming that 90% of feedback is positive. Judging by the sheer number of people who throng MacRitchie Reservoir in the evenings and weekends (in most benign ways: jogging, picnicking, bird and nature watching, canoeing, angling), I can't believe that the rather disruptive activities proposed by PUB are meeting no opposition. What is more, they seem to be dismissing the concerns of nearby residents of possible noise pollution from motorised boats, racuous crowds (from concerts) as well as worries about pollution and erosion that could be caused by leisure boaters. These are simply ward off as nothing to worry about.

I have provided my 2 cents worth to PUB, and I hope forummers here can do so as well..... it's just a simple form at: https://www.pub.gov.sg/forms/ReservoirFeedback.php

My take on this is: Why should the opinions of people who don't really appreciate nature (and only want a new place to eat and have fun) outweigh the not-insignificant numbers of people who appreciate and enjoy nature in its undisturbed form? And how could the noise pollution worries of nearby residents be dismissed outright engineers claiming that a motorised boat is no noisier than a car?

Speak up or lose out!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I realise this post is a year old but I just came across it. Well, it's sad. Seriously. Not only will we loose a large chunk of what little remains of singapores' wildlife. Mostly due to the huge ammounts of soap that comes from washing boats and oil from the engines(trust me, I sail and wakeboard) But this project is going to be a HUGE flop. Why? Because no one wants to sail or windsurf in a land locked body of water with almost no wind(Trees! is the government too busy to consider TREES block the WIND? A very essential part of "WINDsurfing?) And while wakeboarding is possible, Don't they recognise the dangers of all that driftwood coming down from the rivers? Trust me on this as well, it's dangerous enough in the open ocean where hitting a dead catfish will leave you a nice 4 inch spine in your ankle(I still have the spine), the last thing I wanna hit is a jagged 4 foot branch. Like i said, it's a flop waiting to happen.

While I realise there is a problem, I feel that problem isn't the shortage of water. But the mindbloggling lack of creativity in our government. It's typical of them to take to most simple, low risk solution available without considering the long term(often unseen) consiquences of their actions. Consider for a moment, that I mentioned soap and lubricating oil. If you've got a problem with "newater" can you imagine drinking soapy oil? I think not. Also consider what makes MacRitchie so attractive to people? And what kind of person does it attract?

Surely not the beach lover(where's the beach??) who is coincidentally the sailor/windsurfer and wakeboarder. Surely not the seeker of good Hor Fun or Fried Rice.(Feed myself lah, not mosquito!) Then who else? Could it be the birdwatchers, joggers, photographers, stargazers? OF COURSE IT'S THEM! And ask yourself, why do they come? for thewatersports and food? I don't think so...

And lets consider the environment. Pollution will first affect the aquatic life => That will affect their predators(Large fish and birds) => Which means a big hit to our already dwindling reptile population => Eventually all that equates to more rats and mosquitos, less biodiversity, and a less attractive MacRitchie all together. Hence the predicted flop. So in case you missed my opinion in all those words I'll sum it up for you: IT'S A potentially STUPID IDEA!!!

Vote Budak for president!

heh heh, had to add that last line