Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to use my test kits??

Feedback Score

How to use my test kits??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Finally, i have all the test kits in hand which includes pH,kH,gH,NO3 and PO4.

i searched through the forum but i could not find anything regarding this issue.

Firstly,how should i go about testing for how much supplements i need to the tank?? or to find out if i have an equilibrium.

For example,
    1.test water before change??
    2.do 50% water change??
    3.test water after change??
    4.test water daily before and after lighting hours??
    5.if reading going below margin,then add needed dosage to maintain margin??

Secondly, do i need to dose Potassium and Micros as usual??

Well,after browsing through the forum,this is what is conclude for my marginal desired levels.

pH : 6.6

kH : 4 dkH

gH : having problems with this one as i've tried with my AP kit on my tap water and i still dont see any slight change to green colour even after 40 drops so i stopped (is this bad??)

CO2 : 25-30ppm (the worst i got was 30ppm before lights and 8ppm after lights @ kH 4 @ 24/7 - 1bps) should i do something about it or the levels are fine??

NO3 : 10 ppm (is this correct if i would like to keep my nitrates low for redness in rotala indica/rotundifolia and rotala walichii???)

PO4 : 2 ppm

K+ : 20 ppm (sufficient??? as i'm afraid that it would be depleted too fast and i worried the risk of having Ca problems - although not proven)

Micros (measuring in terms of Fe) : 0.6 ppm per week

i'm still learning to get my levels right.

Thanks ahead.
    Shawn

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello Malaysia!

You take the hobby to serious already. Frankly peaking, all these testing kits actually put alot of people off, especially me.

As long as the fish are happy and no algae, I'm happy.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Why test?

You may goto: http://www.aquatic-plants.org/est_index1.html

It talks about The Estimative Index by Thomas Barr a.k.a plantbrain

Except for C02 test, others get you no answer.

Feedback Score
    thanks bro,

in fact,i've gone through the estimative index by tom barr.

please forgive me.i'm slow and stupid. i understood half of it but not the other half.

for instance like, tom mentioned that when the plants uptake has reached it's limit, it would not improve in health and growth even if i dose more. i get this.

but as for the estimative part, i'm really confused of how to go about it?? should i just do a water change and wait till i see deficiency?? then add whatever that is needed?? but then,this would take some time to show the results of the current supplement.(provided co2 is good)

or is it that i am suppose to assume the amount to dose, for instance like twice a week for my 3wpg then observe the plant growth and health, then continue the dosing weekly but also increasing the amount of dosage weekly until i notice of no more improvements in the plant's health and growth??but how would i know what is lacking in the tank or what would be in access??? unless i dose the amount so that nothing gets bottomed out...which does not take in account that there would be a buildup of the less used nutrient throughout and within the week itself.

i've tried the second method i mentioned before and i got sky high nitrate levels (40-80ppm according to my AP kit)...but i did not have a PO4 test kit then..so i'm unsure of the levels.the dosing schedule is:
    NO3 : 15 ppm weekly
    PO4 : 1.5 ppm weekly
    K : 12 ppm weekly
    Micros : 0.7 ppm Fe
    i dosed macros and micros every alternate days and after 50% water change weekly.

however, my plants bubbled like crazy creating a soda water effect in my tank and plant growth was fast , whereby plant health was good.but i had spots of algae on my tank walls and on some glosso leaflets and also fast growing haze algae on the tank walls.besides that,everything was fine but it was all done by guess work and i have no idea whether what i was doing was right or not although i had to trim my plants every week.

i really would like to get hold of tom barr's estimative idea as i'm quite fed up with the testing due to inaccuracy and eye straining to get the readings.

thanks.
    -Shawn-