Country
    Singapore

DIY CO2 diffusing method

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi there,
    I read some thread that the outlet from the DIY CO2 bottle goes to a reactor and then the diffusor.

Currently, I just insert the tube directly into the small internal filter inlet for my 3footer and 2 footer.
    I see the gas 'woshhh' out of the filter outlet every 15second.
    Is it better to use a diffusor or should I just leave the current set up as it is?

I'll appreciate you can point out past threads on this topic and your kind reply.
    Cheers
    Chyrl
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?
    Live each moment like its the last

Feedback Score

Re: DIY CO2 diffusing method

[quote:c163b1249c="cs_sg"]Hi there,
    I read some thread that the outlet from the DIY CO2 bottle goes to a reactor and then the diffusor.

Currently, I just insert the tube directly into the small internal filter inlet for my 3footer and 2 footer.
    I see the gas 'woshhh' out of the filter outlet every 15second.
    Is it better to use a diffusor or should I just leave the current set up as it is?

I'll appreciate you can point out past threads on this topic and your kind reply.
    Cheers
    Chyrl[/quote:c163b1249c]

everything you could ever want to know about diy co2..

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

there is a whole section dedicted just to diffusion.... co2 is not useful to the plants if it is not absorbed by the water... so diffusion is really all about making sure as much of the co2 gets sucked into the water column rather than bubbles out into the air.... puting it in the filter does work better then just putting a bare tube into the tank itself.. but some believe gas can damage the impaller... anyway the article is worth reading.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Co2

Thanks rijac.
    I'll get a bell diffusor (seemed simplest form) and add another bottle of CO2 and see if there is any improvement.
    Cheers
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    forget about the bell diffusor. maybe the worst co2 diffusor in terms of efficiency.
    try positioning the co2 tubing outlet very near to the impeller chamber of your internal filter and let the impeller breakup the co2 bubble.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can try buying a small internal reactor too, maximises the use of your c02. Remember to install a check valve though, DIY c02 doesn't produce enough pressure to hold back the force of water from the c02 inlet of the reactor.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For reactor, you can use the usual 3-ball one costing about $10 from LFS. But not sure if you can connect it to your internal filter.

You can also try to DIY something like the below. Hope the pictures are self-explanatory.

koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Koah Fong,

I looked at the pictures again and have some questions here.

[quote:37e369b2ad="juggler"]For reactor, you can use the usual 3-ball one costing about $10 from LFS. But not sure if you can connect it to your internal filter.

You can also try to DIY something like the below. Hope the pictures are self-explanatory.

[/quote:37e369b2ad]

Why do you attached a spraybar to the outlet of the powerhead?

[quote:37e369b2ad="juggler"]

[/quote:37e369b2ad]

So, the DIYCO2 tube if fed into the medicine bottle (drill a hole on the side of the bottle)?
    Why is not made simpler by feeding the tube into the mouth of the medicine bottle together with the water drawn into the bottle from the power filter?

Thanks

Chyrl
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Togo
    erm its quite obvious as you have to prevent the bubbles from escaping?
    Cheers
    Bryan

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:74bbd72aa1="Encriptic"]erm its quite obvious as you have to prevent the bubbles from escaping? [/quote:74bbd72aa1]

Bryan, I don't understand that statement.

Having the 2 tubes (water & CO2) inserted directly into the reactor at the same place or the CO2 tubing inserted half way into the 'medicine bottle' make any difference was the qn.
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Koah Fong,

Are the 2 pictures 2 different reactors? Or same unit, same tank?
    Now that I take another look at it, I thought you maybe showing me 2 different types of DIY reactors in 2 different tank.
    [/quote]

Why do you attached a spraybar to the outlet of the powerhead? Is it a just a pipe or a DIY spray bar (ie. pipe with holes drilled along it)?

[quote:9250f0553c="juggler"]

[/quote:9250f0553c]

So, the DIYCO2 tube if fed into the medicine bottle (drill a hole on the side of the bottle)?
    Why is not made simpler by feeding the tube into the mouth of the medicine bottle together with the water drawn into the bottle from the power filter? The water inlet and CO2 tube inlet inserted into the medicine cap (drill 2 holes for the 2 tubes).

Thanks

Chyrl
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Chyrl: Very observant. The pictures are from two different tanks. But using the same principle.

The "powerhead" I used is actually an Eden internal filter. So it does some filtration too. And I used a spray bar to distribute the water flow more evenly over the tank.

You can ignore the spraybar if you like to connect the outlet strraight to the "medicine bottle".

Seems to work for a low-cost setup as I don't see any unused CO2 escape. Of course the best is if you can get the 3-ball internal reactor.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you

Thanks Koah Fong

I'll stay drilling away and update with a pic later...

The 2bio balls reactor is not too exp (at $10) but I find it too big for a 15gallon squarish tank. So I'll consider this DIY one a neater solution
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?