Singapore

Newbie seeking your advice on GEX Slim Filters

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Albert here and am a newbie.

Have always wanted to keep fishes since I was young but only started keeping them now after my kids bugged me for fishes.

Currently have a 2 feet slim GEX tank (Relaqua 600) holding a couple of longkang fish and 3 terrapins. The filter I'm using is a Hailea filter (canister type I think).

Was thinking of changing to the GEX Slim filter but have the following concern.

As I have terrapins in it, I cannot fill my tank to the top and have to leave about 10 cm water gap to the top of the top in case the terrapins climb out. As such, if I use the HOF, I am not sure how low can the water inlet to the filter be stretched. Will the motor also be able to pump the water all the water up even if I modified the pipe?

Many thanks!
    Albert.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Newbie seeking your advice on GEX Slim Filters

For hang-on filters you need to have the water up to a certain level to match the filter (usually at an indicated minimum level just above the base of the filter) or else the filter's impeller may not be able to draw the water up the inlet pipe. In addition, if there is a power cut and the water level is too low, the water will drain out of the inlet pipe and it'll lose its siphon too.

It'll be better to use hang-on filters in full tanks, rather than partially filled tanks.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The filter or the tank isn't cut out for 3 terrapins. Soon you'll need something bigger to house them. Something like a goldfish tub or fiberglass pond. I'd go with daily water change instead of a filter since they'll clog it up really fast.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, I'm running the GEX Slim (L) filter on my 50L x 33W x 34H cm tank for closed to a month or so for my 2 terapins. I had to extend the pipings for the water inlet fully in order for it to be submerged. My water level is limited by the height of the floating platform that I got for the terrapins which was hold down by the sucker pads. As for the water output, its of no difference when compared to with a fully filled tank. I do WC and/ or topping up of water weekly as this tank sits in the balcony.
    ~~Steven ~~
    Another Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    2ft Tank ~~~Terappin Moonlight Gourami~~~
    4ft Tank ~~~Oto Nerite Snail Platy Zebra Danio Glass Bloodfin Cardinal Tetra Albino Cory Khuli Weather Loach Rainbow Shark~~~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hey guys, thank you so much for all your super advice. Really appreciate it...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Welcome to AQ Albert Han!
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.