Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Reduce Air Bubbles in a Over-Head Filter Setup?

Feedback Score

How To Reduce Air Bubbles in a Over-Head Filter Setup?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    ====================================

Hi,

Currently, I have a 6 boxes, 2 layers OHF setup. I found that there are very tiny air bubbles being form when the filtered water rushes down. Is there anyway to prevent/reduce this? The 'L' tube, that water is rushed out from, is already submerged into the water; else larger bubbles would be formed.

Please advise.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How To Reduce Air Bubbles in a Over-Head Filter Setup?

[quote:42190d6612="s050399b"]====================================
    .[/quote:42190d6612]

Are you also running an airstone anywhere near the water inlet pipe? If so, air bubbles could be sucked in and broken up into finer bubbles within the fitler chamber. Check for excessive interference/ bubble formation near intake.

Anyway, what's wrong with having air bubbles? Makes the tank look action-packed to me.

Feedback Score
    I don't have any airstones in my tank.

I was thinking of converting to a plant tank, and air bubbles would deplete the carbon dioxide? something like dat?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    To reduce the air bubbles, try attaching a length of hose to the output, so that the water flows into the tank water instead of hitting the water's surface.

Yes, surface disruption will result in loss of c02. But imho, this little disruption will account for very minimal c02 wastage. It might even help by leaving the bubbles there, since it provides aeration and helps to remove excess c02 at night when plants aren't using it.

Feedback Score
    thanks!

first things first, is there any low requirement plant? as i don't have budget for CO2 tank, and super powerful lights?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If you don't have CO2 injection, you don't need super strong lights. They're going to give you more problems.

Feedback Score
    what kinds of plants can i have with low to almost no light, and no CO2?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Java fern
    Java moss
    Anubias Nana

These three should survive.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score

Re:

[quote:77e0997a74="|squee|"]Java fern
    Java moss
    Anubias Nana

These three should survive.[/quote:77e0997a74]

last time i tried java moss, it turned brown and burst with hair algue....
    Java fern, tried last time, the leaf like twisted...........

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

You either have very bad luck, or........

learn about the plant's requirements, and understand their needs. Then your likelihood of success will be much higher.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:f318605bb6="s050399b"]what kinds of plants can i have with low to almost no light, and no CO2?[/quote:f318605bb6]

sb
    In that case... I think you should go for plastic plants.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yea you have to go for plastic plants. With alomst no light and zero c02, I think even if the plants I listed survive, they will look horrible.

Get yourself a light set and a good c02 cylinder set up. The satisfaction will be worth the money

Feedback Score
    on another topic/tank,

i have goldfish which recently sparwn, but the eggs are not fertilize; white eggs, no black spots in it.

I then read up about breeding goldfish, and it mentioned we need to bring down the temp to 17 degrees!!

How could we have done that?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You might want to start another new topic.

As for breeding goldfishes, 17 degrees? My uncle's normal market-bought pair bred in room temperature, and has the babies to prove it to me.

You could bring the temp down to 17 degrees by a use of a chiller.

Feedback Score
    I was thinking of putting the fish tank in the fridge, but the temperature is about 9 degrees, i think the fish will die, and I can't control the temperature.

a chiller would cost me about 2-3k?

btw, may i have more information about your uncle's breeding of goldfish? when did it spawn? where did ur uncle put it? air con room?

pls advise.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't know when it spawned, only that it was his second time spawning them. No aircon, room temperature near a rather windy window. They live on the 12th floor.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

I have seen goldfish spawn in plain tanks here as well. Quite a few farms here breed them so I doubt the fish here need cold temperatures, i.e. they are already acclimatised to the tropics. You can certainly try the fridge though... and pardon me, I thought you had gone Down Under??

Feedback Score
    oh my god!! lucky i didn't empty out the 2 feet tank where the 2 goldfish spawn!!! i was too lazy to empty and clean it after i thought the eggs are inferterlize!!

when i saw about to empty the tank, i saw small baby goldfishes!! very very small, 2 mm, and like a worm!! i think there's about 10 of them.

wow!! but the bad news is, i am going overseas on friday til 13th nov!! who is going to feed them!?!? it's my first time raising these babies, and i know i need egg yolk for them to feed on!!

but egg yolk and other food stuffs will dirty the water!! what shall i do? i think in the natural setup, their food is the micro-organism in the water, i think this is what i am going to do, i'm going to feed them with egg yolks and stuffs, and when i was about to leave singapore, i will put water plants (moss) for them to feed on, i hope these will not let them go hungry!!

any advise?

Feedback Score

Re:

[quote:defc51a4bf="budak"]I have seen goldfish spawn in plain tanks here as well. Quite a few farms here breed them so I doubt the fish here need cold temperatures, i.e. they are already acclimatised to the tropics. You can certainly try the fridge though... and pardon me, I thought you had gone Down Under??[/quote:defc51a4bf]

i did!! haha!! i put the smallest one in my fridge, it's about 5 degrees, after 4 hours, it started to show blood lines in the tail, i quickly took it out.

haha!! i just quiet down a bit, i got 4/3/2 feets tanks. 2 feet tank is empty til i used it for breeding, i think i could start to prepare to spawn the red nose tetras, they have been with me for quite a while, and i noticed a female (round body). trouble is, they are in the 4 feet tank, and it's quite a chore trying to catch them......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast