Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to start a marine nano tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to start a marine nano tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    where can I purchase that?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

There are many marine fishshops in singapore.
    Irwarna, pacific reef, madpetz, coral farm, sealife are just a few.
    Depending on where you stay actually.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

In freshwater, plants use up the nitrate. Is there something similar in marine or water change is the way to go?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes bro ingen! It's marine algae. We grow macro algae in our sump on purpose.
    Examples would be cheato, grape algae, red bamboo algae. Google marine planted tank. Awesome tanks and all those are actually marine algae.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The solution to pollution is dilution. Nothing good happen fast in a marine tank. Small doesn't mean easy.

For a nano tank, you need to be diligent in monitoring the various parameter. Ask yourself this, are you prepared for it? Having a marine tank will restrict your lifestyle, can't travel for too long away from the tank else everything will go kaput. You need lots of cash to purchase various equipment before you pour in the liquid into the tank.

I really hope you know what you're doing.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I agree with BFG. The thing about marine nano is the level of tank husbandry needed. And the tank needs about 8-12months to be stable.
    It's definitely more than a nano freshwater tank.
    Salinity swings are deadly in a marine tank. As water evaporates, salinity will spike.
    Plus the temptation to overstock your tank will put it at a higher risk of crashing.
    When it goes bad in a marine tank, it goes bad very very rapidly. But with proper maintenance, stocking and husbandry, it's not impossible.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

A 1 ft nano can keep two clowns? I was reading and noticed within the clown species there are different sizes too, I reckon its the smallest one?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
    A 1 ft nano can keep two clowns? I was reading and noticed within the clown species there are different sizes too, I reckon its the smallest one?
    Can, if you want to continually replace them. Saltwater and freshwater are 2 different bodies of water. The smaller the tank, the harder it is. Try it.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The uncle at aquarist chamber keeps 7 cliwnfishes in 30litre nano, he says it's possible

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I believe that BFG is not saying that it's not possible. More, please know that it requires a lor more husbandry than freshwater. Those uncles at the LFS are there everyday and they look after the tanks as it's their livelihood.
    You have time to change water and top-up everyday? The patience to remove any uneaten good every single time?
    If yes, then of course it's possible.
    I'm not trying to be discouraging but just honest. It's not the same, like what BFG said.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Understand what you guys are trying to convey. Nano requires more commitment and less room for error as compared to a larger tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Honestly, I have colleagues who jump into the hobby blind with nano tank and ill equip equipment. 2 quit due to busy schedule, the other 3 took me years in persuading to get a proper 3ft tank with sump and chiller and what not. They are happy that they end with what they wanted to have. However, they wasted some many hard earned monies going through the motion. Monies that if they planned properly, they would get a sensible setup started right in the beginning.

I understand everyone is operating on a budget in life. It took me 2 years to get a proper setup but I am upgrading to a bigger tank from a 4 footer. Watching someone jumping into the hobby without proper research remind me of the 2 colleague who gave up. Knowledge is key but the funds will prolong the duration of the hobby. Having either nor neither is a sure recipe for disaster.

I know the pull of this side of the hobby is strong due to the vibrant colour it provide. I may seem to be discouraging you but you really need to know what you're doing as the tank is with you 24/7. Contigency planning and disaster recovery are just something you need to think about if things turn south. Read more from other marine forum to gain some knowledge. If you do not understand something, drop a query in your own thread so that we all could be on the same page and provide the correct replies.

Good luck in your endeavour!
    Last edited by BFG; 5th Jul 2014 at 02:48.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

After heading all this, I would avoid a marine tank. Haha

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Remember that for every shop that you go to, as in really EVERY shop. Fish shop, Car shop, Sports shop, restaurant too.

They are selling you things. Everything is possible. Everything is good. Everything is a damn good buy.

They are after all just eyeing that money in your pocket.

Do your research and homework. Weigh their pitches to you and see what they say.

Perhaps make a few visits to the shop and see if the livestock in the shop do change over time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi guys, I added raw shrimp last week and once ammonia levels hit one ppm I removed it. exactly a week later, ammonia and nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 25ppm. I'm not sure if the tank is cycled already or not because I look 2 months to cycle my freshwater but this tank has only been a week

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

this is good news.
    I believe your tank has been cycled. However, the amount of BB would be very very low.
    Perform a large water change and Please stock very very slowly.
    If you stock too quickly, your tank will go through another mini cycle. Then you will be undoing all the good work you have done.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I just added some fish food to confirm whether the tank is cycled, how long before dried pellet fish food releases ammonia?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I would wait for a month.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Arron View Post
    hi guys, I added raw shrimp last week and once ammonia levels hit one ppm I removed it. exactly a week later, ammonia and nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 25ppm. I'm not sure if the tank is cycled already or not because I look 2 months to cycle my freshwater but this tank has only been a week
    I started a marine tank a short while back. I used market prawns to cycle too but I just left the prawn buried under the sand for a few weeks. Didn't take it out actually. Were you using fresh/dried sand or "live" sand? As for the duration, I've heard from multiple people always advising to go slow with marine. Really need to be patient.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I would say a nano is more challenging to upkeep water perimeter. sump, good skimmer and many other equipment are necessary to upkeep. Generally the bigger the tank...price of your equipment will go up by folds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast