Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to start a marine nano tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How to start a marine nano tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, I'm really interested in starting a marine tank. However, as I already have 2 2ft FW tanks I have to go with a nano. I was considering getting a dymax iq5 as many people say that's a really good nano. Am thinking if keeping one or two clown fishes as the lfs told me that they are good for beginners due to how hardy they can be. Some have told me that a chiller is a must while others say that a nano tank just requires a fan. Any senior here can guide me along on what to do and how to start this nano tank? for example, how to cycle a marine tank? I know for fresh water the soil I use already contains ammonia but for salt water I'm not sure how to get it started. Really hope some seniors can help me with this project I'm about to start

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to start a marine nano tank?

What do you know currently to keep a marine tank?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Well I know that live rock and live sand will produce ammonia that will kick start the cycle, due to the size of the tank frequent water changes are a must. However, I do not know if my live rock is cured or not, the shop that I bought it from says it's just live rock he didn't tell me. I'm not sure if it's producing ammonia as I tested it and it read 0 ammonia. What do I do now?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Keeping an eye on this thread, have some interest in a nano marine tank too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ok...

Looks like we got alot of ground to cover here.

Live Sand and Live Rocks only host the bacteria that will break down your ammonia, nitrates and nitrites to create a healthy environment for your fauna. The old-school (and maybe current, I was last into reefing almost a decade ago.) way to grow your own family of living bacteria is to create a huge spike of ammonia to kick start the whole process. Some people will leave a market prawn in the tank and let it rot for a while to create this ammonia spike. Typically cycling takes about a month or so. Your tank is ready once NO3 is tested to be 0.

How to start a marine tank?

Vision.
    Have a good idea of what you want to keep. You are pretty limited to what you can keep if it is a nano-tank. Small space. Not much hiding room, so you can't exactly have a community in there. This are some suggestions...

Clown/Anemone
    Harlequin shrimp
    Frogfish
    Coral only (SPS)
    tiny-gobies/blennies. (I remember that was the last craze created by Henry of MarineLife. I wonder where he is now since Hong Leong Gardens are no more.)

Research.
    This actually comes together with your envisioning. Know the demands and requirements of the species that you are getting. Plan for the right equipment and space that you need to set up your stuff.

Shopping
    Buy. Buy. Buy.

Execution
    Go. Go. Go.

Ok. So maybe not so much ground after all...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Cycling of marine tank is no different from FW.
    The target would be for ammonia and nitrite to be zero. Live rocks will die off producing ammonia and the cycle will start. You can add bacteria to help with the cycling process.
    Microbacter7 by brightwell is a good choice.
    Problem or challenge with a nano tank would be evaporation. salt water evaporates leaving salt behind causing salinity spikes. So an auto top up or diligently topping up with freshwater will be essential.
    If you are keeping a fowlr tank, 28-29degrees is not a problem.
    Phosphates and nitrates control is paramount in a marine reef tank.
    Would not recommend keeping sps in a nano tank. LPS, softies and zoas are hardier and more forgiving.
    Good luck and happy reefing!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

my live rocks have been in th tank for a few days already, however ammonia levels still0

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Most probably your live rocks are cured then. You can try by adding market prawn or fish food to create ammonia. You testing for nitrites and nitrate?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

yes all 0, how long do I leave the raw prawn in the tank?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The prawn is never taken out. Put a small piece in and it would disintegrate producing ammonia. The bacteria would then convert the ammonia to nitrite and so.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Curious... What kind of marine life can we keep without using of chiller?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

wont it make the water dirty?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The prawn will disintegrate. The bacteria will then break down the prawn. When your ammonia And nitrite is zero, your tank will be cycled. Change 90% of the water and will be ready to add livestock

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What I know is..as long as you are not keeping any sea anemone or corals, you can live without a chiller...my current FOWLR tank stays between 28-29 degrees without chiller..do note that there must be an ammonia source to kick start the cycling process (be it die-off from live rock, dead shrimp, pure ammonia liquid or inhumanely cycling with fish).
    Bacteria is present everywhere...and their main energy source comes from ammonia..these bacteria known as Nitrosomonas will consume ammonia and convert it to nitrite.
    At this stage, a second type of bacteria, known as Nitrobacter will be formed to convert nitrite to nitrate..at this point of time, do ensure that both ammonia and nitrite are tested zero. Once you have achieved that and then nitrate testing shows <30ppm, you are more or less ready to add your livestock. By using Dymax IQ5, you can stock 1-2 clownfish no problem, however if you are stocking 2, you have to buy them at the same time and not separately!
    After adding your livestock, you still have to maintain your water chemistry and parameters:-
    - top up RO/DI water daily if you notice water level is dropping
    - small water changes of 10% 2-3 times a week (tank is small, water condition fluctuates very easily)
    - Test your SG on a daily basis (recommended between 1.021-1.026)
    - Test your PH (8.1-8.4), ammonia, nitrite and nitrate regularly

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

How do reduce nitrate for nitrate apart from water change?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Water change is effective..else another way I can think of is installing a protein skimmer....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nitrate also can also use biosphere or biopellets.
    There are many different additives for nitrate control in the market now. But nothing bests regular water changes!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes agree with Ken_ng bro, water change dilutes all the toxic in the water, making it healthy for fish to live in

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

any bacteria products you guys recommend?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Microbacter7 by brightwell aquatics worked for me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast