Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New shrimp tank - 30 cube

Feedback Score

New shrimp tank - 30 cube

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    This forum is indeed poisonous. .shortly after starting my 2 ft iwagumi..am preparing my shrimp only office tank..just bought the equipments from Aquarisy Chambers today (pocket is totally torn..but WTH..let's try the bleed once and succeed route):

Tank - ANS opticlear 30 cube
    Filter - sicce whale 120
    Tetra sponge filter set to replace the inlet of the sicce
    lowkeys speed sand
    RAC substrate
    And a bonsai-y tree root wood ( worth its weight in gold..super ex..call me stupid..but the shape just gets to me. Will provide pics in due course)
    Light - gotta get something budget like a up aqua or something..can't afford to keep spending like this..lol

Seems like a high end setup..didn't even spent half the amount on my existing 2 footer at home!..lol. But to think of it, the advise I get from fella hobbyist at the shop is priceless! Love the place as i had been hanging around for multiple times without even making a single purchase and not once was I shunned or frowned upon. Its really a place for hobbyist to share and to be taught. Not the kind of just-buy-the-most-expensive-but-maybe-useless-items-and-please-get-lost shop.

Plan now is to tie weeping moss onto the tree to create a willow tree effect..end product is to have a tree with a crown just like a real tree, with droopy flowy crown. Position of the lone tree to be confirmed..either at a corner or take the center stage on a 'dune'..depending on how it looks on my desk..its gonna be a 2 sided view (right angle) so gotta try the placement out.

As for carpeting..thinking of low creepers like HC/MOSS (do not know what kind of moss to consider) or something with a bit of height like dwarf hairgrass (Japan variant)..

Any suggestions/comments on scape and flora choice? Will be injecting diy co2.

Am now soaking the wood to leech any harmful substances, and over the next week will be slowly bringing the equipment to office to set up.

To be continued... ... ...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: New shrimp tank - 30 cube

hahaha..... Now you know this forum power. "victim" of this forum. You are the first and won't be the last. hahahaha..... Enjoy your hobby.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Any pictures to upload?

Feedback Score

Bonsai tree wood...
    uploadfromtaptalk1405160415242.jpguploadfromtaptalk1405160426065.jpguploadfromtaptalk1405160436222.jpguploadfromtaptalk1405160444305.jpg

For the other items. .not much point for pics..its just commercial items..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yore bonsai tree wood is awesome! Very appealing to the eyes.
    What shrimps are you considering?
    Going to follow this thread. Look forward to more updates.

Feedback Score

Haha...thanks sbladerz..its actually a tad big for the cube..probably 18/20 cm tall n 23/25 wide..(just added hot water. So can't take it out to measure..lol)..but I just love the shape..

The scape problem is now hoe to compliment the big tree that kinda already fills up the cube..not much of slope will help cuz it's footprint is almost 60% of the entire base..thinking HC or dwarf hairgrass or UG or moss(again dunno what kind of moss too)? Votes anyone..lol

Shrimps will be CRS first (a beginners shrimp)..then see how things progress..wanna try breeding n ensuring survival of the shrimplets..that will be the achievement and sign for progression..

once successful with crs..will slowly progress to more advance shrimps..

Feedback Score

Hey guys..Some updates on my office tank..

HC DSM..
    uploadfromtaptalk1406478699150.jpg

After a week decided to flood..and surprisingly..It was rooted!!!!!!!

Anyway bonsai tree. .from uploadfromtaptalk1406478752444.jpg
    to
    uploadfromtaptalk1406478783371.jpg

Works in progress...
    uploadfromtaptalk1406478812575.jpg

End product that with diy co2
    uploadfromtaptalk1406478854458.jpg

Next up..will be getting some commando crs shrimps once I test the water parameters. .

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Can pm me the price and place you got that wood from? It is very nice

Feedback Score

Hi Bro..got the wood from aquarist chamber. .They are near to kovan mrt..along upper serangoon road..

as for price..They have different sizes so price will vary..got mine for $100+..

Yes. .It expensive. .but I haven't seen such woods anywhere else. .

Feedback Score

Hi guys..If I do not have a skimmer..how do I get rid of the surface film that is built up?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Paper, serviet, newspaper. Just use either one, place it over your surface then remove after its soaked
    Loving crypts <3

Feedback Score

Thanks aquarist..that's what I did..but dunno if that's the right thing to do cuz of chemicals in these items..particularly paper (bleach) and newspaper (lead, ink)..haha...using kleenex now..haha

Feedback Score

Another question ..how do I get my HC to pearl..lol..im using aquazonic t5 super sun tubes (2 x 6 watts X 12000k)..timing regime lights on from 1000-1400 and 1800-2100..Off the rest of the time..change t5 tubes?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by solidbrik View Post
    Hi guys..If I do not have a skimmer..how do I get rid of the surface film that is built up?
    The kitchen paper towel to soak up the surface oil film can help, though you'll have to manually do it regularly to keep the oil film at bay. In the case of your tank, since its newly setup, the surface oil film is coming mainly from the soil at the moment, once the tank settles in it'll usually stop appearing (but it'll usually appear again when you have livestock and feed them well anyways).

Another question ..how do I get my HC to pearl..lol..im using aquazonic t5 super sun tubes (2 x 6 watts X 12000k)..timing regime lights on from 1000-1400 and 1800-2100..Off the rest of the time..change t5 tubes?
    Plants pearl when they photosynthesize at such high rate that the oxygen they produce exceed the oxygen saturation level in the water... for this to occur, the plants need to have ample light, CO2 and nutrients to maximize their rate of photosynthesis.

For tanks without Co2 injection, its usually the lack of sufficient Co2 that limits the plants rate of photosynthesis, so they'll tend not to exhibit any pearling effects (even with strong lights and lots of nutrients), or only pearl much later in the photoperiod.

That being said, its possible to get visible pearling effects in non-Co2 injected tanks though... usually in tanks with very high water temperatures, as warmer water holds alot less oxygen so its oxygen saturation level is much lower.

The plants in my outdoor tanks and containers which routinely hit >33°C temperatures in the mid-day afternoons directly under the blazing hot sun all tend to pearl like crazy.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score

Thanks UA. .I am currently on co2. .1 bps. .Is the light regime ok?

Feedback Score

Thing is tank temp range is 23/4.. probably too cool so higher saturation levels?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks UA. .I am currently on co2. .1 bps. .Is the light regime ok?
    Okay, since you using Co2 injection and there are no livestock in the tank yet, you can increase the bps rate and increase the light photoperiod to encourage plant growth.

Try to go for one single longer photo period, rather than split period, so that it doesn't interrupt the plant's photosynthesis (less need for them to have to repeatedly ramp up and down their photosynthesis activity).

Thing is tank temp range is 23/4.. probably too cool so higher saturation levels?
    Yeah, cooler water can hold more oxygen so the oxygen saturation point would be higher, therefore the plants may require abit more photosynthesis rate and time to start showing pearling effects... but they will still eventually pearl readily if supplied with ample lights, Co2 and nutrients.

Note that faster growing plants generally tend to pearl much faster and more visibly, while slower growing plants tend to pearl slower and less visibly... so it depends on the plant types too.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score

Nutrients I'm only thinking of daily brighty n twice a week flourish..do not want to affect parameters for the shrimps. But I read too much lights and/or ferts will cause algae..now dunno how to strike that balance. .Any formula for a now fauna-less tank?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nutrients I'm only thinking of daily brighty n twice a week flourish..do not want to affect parameters for the shrimps. But I read too much lights and/or ferts will cause algae..now dunno how to strike that balance. .Any formula for a now fauna-less tank?
    Yeah, that's the challenge when having to cater to both plants and shrimps... its usually one or the other, or have to compromise.

The most ideal planted startup environment is to have the entire tank densely covered in fast growing stem plants, then jack up the lights, Co2 injection and fert dosing... the plants will grow and pearl like crazy and soak up everything, leaving very little for algae to even gain a toe-hold in the tank.

For your setup with moss and HC as the main plants, they are not exactly super fast growers, so you'll just need to keep the light moderate (your current lights should be okay for a start) and inject enough Co2 to make sure its not a limiting factor (since no livestock yet, just inject until the drop checker show green-yellow color).

Nutrient-wise, i'm not sure how much macro nutrients like nitrogen and phosphate are released by the RAC soil you are using (compared to ADA amazonia aquasoil), but since its a soil designed for shrimps, i'd assume its nutrient content for plants is much lower, therefore you may need to dose additional macro + micro ferts if you start to see deficiencies in your plants.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score

Yeah..now I dare not overdose..cuz the main focus is on the shrimps..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast