Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tanks for the office

Tanks for the office

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    So colleague abandon his small fish tank in office. He said its bad fengshui for his house so he doesn't want it anymore.
    Well maybe its bad because everything except the fish are dying or dead in the tank. There are about 10 fishes including a puffer in the small tank. Overcrowded! gravel for plants..SURE DIE. And there is even a water tree as he said cost $80..now dead. We put the fishes in a pail of water.
    The water in office is too cold. The fishes in the pail are dying.

So we bought a new tank for the office to accommodate the many fish. re do both the small tank and setup the new tank in one night. The fish are looking really weak in the pail. One even died while I was setting up the tanks. It was a Saturday, decided to put the fish in tank since we have aged the water before the setup. Either way they will die, in tank or pail. And Monday...DEAD FISHES floating on surface I think I murdered them indirectly.

Anyhow..Here are the two tanks..empty with no fishes. Colleagues kept asking, when are we putting fish in, why cant we have fish in now..why do we need CO2..etc etc.. -_-''

Tank 1:

The tank which colleague abandoned. Very small. Did a low tech tank with no CO2. Light is lousy too. Thus it is near the window.

Tank 2:

45cm tank. Looking cute in the office pantry area. Everyone tries to find the fish in the tank..which I will tell them..the soul of the fishes are inside. Look carefully.. :P
    keep on swimming...swim swim swim..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Tanks for the office

Nice scape, simple and neat.

You are now becoming guru soon.

Highly the water not cycled thus the sudden deaths. Maybe next time if no choice, you can try dosing SeaChem Prime(a dechlorinator) before adding fish, i'm using it at the moment.
    In the seachem forum, it so-call helps to inert the toxic ammonia for around 24~48 hours for every dose while you are cycling your new tank with fishes inside.

So far it helps for me, no deaths while cycling my new 2ft tank with few oto and cleaner shrimps inside.

I'm interested in the water tree. What's that?

Quote Originally Posted by wuguidan View Post
    Nice scape, simple and neat.

You are now becoming guru soon.

Highly the water not cycled thus the sudden deaths. Maybe next time if no choice, you can try dosing SeaChem Prime(a dechlorinator) before adding fish, i'm using it at the moment.
    In the seachem forum, it so-call helps to inert the toxic ammonia for around 24~48 hours for every dose while you are cycling your new tank with fishes inside.

So far it helps for me, no deaths while cycling my new 2ft tank with few oto and cleaner shrimps inside.

I'm interested in the water tree. What's that?
    Thank you!

There isnt any Seachem products that week. But I manage to buy everything now. All well prepared now!
    I am thinking to add oto and shrimps next week. 1 week after setup the tank. Is that ok?

This is the ugly tree. I am guessing its dead because it is not in water?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I can just imagine the water tree tied with weeping or christmas moss….. nice…… Don't throw it away!!

Quote Originally Posted by leonard6july View Post
    I can just imagine the water tree tied with weeping or christmas moss….. nice…… Don't throw it away!!
    yea did not throw. put it by the window to display since its $80! What kind of tree is that anyway? I thought it looks like some kind of bonsai tree without any leaves.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by rachel View Post
    yea did not throw. put it by the window to display since its $80! What kind of tree is that anyway? I thought it looks like some kind of bonsai tree without any leaves.
    It's a bonsai driftwood and it really cost quite a bit. Mine cost me about $100++ from Aquarist Chamber. Can die weeping moss to make it look like a "live" tree.

Feedback Score

Yes. .its a damm high end wood..I got mine from aquarist chamber at $100++ too!!! In case you change your mind..let me know which bin you throwing in..lol..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

There is nothing wrong with plants on gravel, my plants are doing well on gravel and multiplying a lot. 10 fishes in a small tank, how big is the fishes and how small is the tank, there are many factors to consider when the fishes dying, the plants dying. Many fishes do well in cooler water, temperature like 24-26. Did you aerate the water when you put the fishes in the pail? From the way you comment, you making many of the nano tanks keeper like me guilty. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by seudzar View Post
    There is nothing wrong with plants on gravel, my plants are doing well on gravel and multiplying a lot. 10 fishes in a small tank, how big is the fishes and how small is the tank, there are many factors to consider when the fishes dying, the plants dying. Many fishes do well in cooler water, temperature like 24-26. Did you aerate the water when you put the fishes in the pail? From the way you comment, you making many of the nano tanks keeper like me guilty. Lol

Ok pls advise how to grow HC on gravel?
    Dont know what he did to the tank, everything is just dying in it.
    aww..dont feel guilty, you will be forgiven. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by ZacNg View Post
    It's a bonsai driftwood and it really cost quite a bit. Mine cost me about $100++ from Aquarist Chamber. Can die weeping moss to make it look like a "live" tree.
    wow...didnt know that! Not sure where colleague bought it from.
    Is it possible to tie moss to it and make it into a wabi kusa type of setup?

Quote Originally Posted by solidbrik View Post
    Yes. .its a damm high end wood..I got mine from aquarist chamber at $100++ too!!! In case you change your mind..let me know which bin you throwing in..lol..
    Hahaha! haven't throw! It is still on display at the window side. What did you do with the tree u got? share some pictures!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wabi kusa? I doubt so but you can make it into a "live" tree. You can check it out on my tank.

Quote Originally Posted by ZacNg View Post
    Wabi kusa? I doubt so but you can make it into a "live" tree. You can check it out on my tank.
    So even though it is not in the water for days, it is still usable? Then i would need another tank! 3rd tank for office?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yup it is still usable. You can put it in the existing tank if it fits.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

That wood is made up of alot of woods using epoxy(special epoxy looks like wood texture), thats why is costly, they're mostly come from Vietnam. Just tie the top branches with moss and let it grow, it'll form the tree shape(you need to trim the moss to make them look like tree, lots of work to do). The top tie with mini xmas and below with weeping moss will look great, just a suggestion(not promoting my moss, lol)

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score

@RACHEL..wood is still soaking..leaching tannin..won't be ready so fast ba. .

@blue33..Bro. .wont 2 variants look weird for a tree? Anyway will WhatsApp u when ready. .tropica cups for hc and hairgrass only coming in next week..need to plant and get them rooted before flooding for the tree..

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

You must be creative inorder to do it nice.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I seen that type of tree during aquarama. It's produced in vietnam by hand. Very nice looking product.

Quote Originally Posted by solidbrik View Post
    @RACHEL..wood is still soaking..leaching tannin..won't be ready so fast ba. .

@blue33..Bro. .wont 2 variants look weird for a tree? Anyway will WhatsApp u when ready. .tropica cups for hc and hairgrass only coming in next week..need to plant and get them rooted before flooding for the tree..
    hmm...What do you mean by leaching tannin? Wood is not soaking. It is just on a plate at the window side :P
    I am actually thinking of bringing it to a bonsai shop to ask if it can be make into a bonsai tree instead of a tree in the water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

From what i research, Nano tanks are harder to maintain due to the smaller volume of water. The water parameters tend to be not so stable and not easy to cycle. Thus frequently water changes is advisable for nano tanks.

If your colleague don't bother with the maintenance of the nano tank, chances are the water parameters have gone way too drastic for fishes to survive. Imagine all the fish shits accumulated and dead plants making ammonia level shoots up very high.

Wood soak in water will normally give out(leach) Tannins. Tannins color the water, light brownish like tea. They also lower the pH alittle. So some people will actually soak the wood for a few weeks or more. It will not totally remove all the tannins but it will help to reduce them by soaking them first. Soaking the wood first also helps to see if there are any un-welcome guests that stick to the wood.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast