Singapore

Questions

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi folks,

need some help with some of my queries.

1) I know normally Nanas need to be tied to a rock or DW. can i use those sink to tie to the plant and let it sink down?

2) if the Nanas and other plants start to turn yellowish is due to insufficient lighting or not enough fert?
    im using 1 tube T5 on a 2 ft tank. I have 3 more tubes but did not fix cause was told that 1tube is more than enough. I only switch on from 6pm till 11.30pm together with co2

3) what is the frequency for dousing of fert? Once a week or mthly?

4) those magnets glass cleaners are they really effective or i shld save the money and get a scrub instead?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Questions

1) Yes. Mind the material of the sink though, some are poisonous to fish.

2) 6 to 11.30pm is not enough. You need about 8-10 hours of lighting. Most likely it's the lack of light duration (not intensity) plus lack of ferts that's causing the nana to turn yellow. If you have just bought them, they might be transforming to submersed form as most plants in the LFS are sold in emersed form.

3) Depends very much on the amount of plants you have, and what kind of fertiliser you're dosing.

4) If your tank is big, a glass cleaner might be more efficient.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

One more question.

My T5 lights comes with 4 tubes. So I shld switch on how many tubes and from what time till what time is advisable?

thks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Any kind soul can advice on the queries listed above ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

3) Refer to the instruction on the dosage amount that lasts for the period. Normally, I think once monthly is sufficient. Dont overdosage otherwise alages may grow too.

4) If you re using sand for the substrate, please becareful not to use the magnetic glass cleaner to low. This is because the magnetic cleaner may pick up the sand particles, which in turn may scratch your glass when you wipe. I will use the normal white filter wool to clean the surface of the tank. Easier, cleaner and cheaper using the white filter wool, just that you need to put ur hand in.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Totally agree with LideBoi on point 4, I scratched my front glass cause I didn't know a tiny speck of sand was caught on the flat side outside the glass and I scrubbed happily till I realise the damage is done. At least not too obvious from far. So becareful using it with sand substrate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thks guys... So those magnetic type of glass cleaner is it effective? Or eventually I still need to scrub it with hand?

As for the lightings any advice? 1 tube or 2 or 3 or 4 tubes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I used to use the magnetic glass cleaner,it is easy and convenient until one day it left
    a deep scratch on the front panel of the tank,so now it used a sponge. You have go to get
    your hand wet to do the job right,expensive lesson learn.

Feedback Score

Cut up a piece of carbon filter wool..can kiap it with the planting forceps and use it to scrub the glass..works for me..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Guys,

thks for all the advise.

guess my last few questions shld sum up all my queries.

1) how many tubes of t5 shld I use? I did try to google but dun really understand the calculations thus need some advise from the pros here.

2) how long must I switch it on tat is sufficient for the plants to grow.

Note. I'm using a 2ft tank and have co2 for the plant. My lightings comes with 4 tubes so I can choose how many tubes to use.

Thks

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If it is a 2ft tank i assume it is 2x1x1 ft,probably around 15gallons. Normally 2-3 watts per gallon will grow the majority of plants available that require Moderate light.
    For the lighting duration,it is 8 to 10 hrs daily.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If is 2 to 3 watts means 2 to 3 tubes of t5?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by instinctloh View Post
    If is 2 to 3 watts means 2 to 3 tubes of t5?
    If you want to follow the watt per gallon rule, then just check the watt specs of each tube (its usually printed on the tube itself), add them up and then divide by the volume of your tank in gallons (3.78 liter = 1 gallon). You can use that calculation to determine how many tubes to use.

Every tank is different though, so ultimately you still need to monitor it over time and adjust the actual amount of light required based on your plant growth and tank conditions... ie. if the plants not growing fast enough (and Co2 + nutrients are sufficient), then increase light intensity/photoperiod, if algae is going out of control and covering whole tank (and Co2 is sufficient and nutrients are not in excess), then reduce light intensity/photoperiod.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com