2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

BBA starting to spread

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I realised some BBA started growing in my tank. Bought 3 otos and 2 SAEs to help curb the situation. I understand they do not eat grown algae. So do I manually pluck the grown BBA?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: BBA starting to spread

Get a syringe and Seachem Excel. Stop filter or circulation pump for a while. Squirt Excel from syringe to affected spots.

Better way to fastbtrack removal of as much of BBA, remove livestock, drain empty tank. Using those paintbrush, soak brush with Excel and brush it on BBA infested spots, wait 1-2 minutes, fill up tank.

Follow up with higher rate C02 dosing, Algaexit dosing and increase water circulation in tank. Reconsider and reevaluate fert\C02 dosing and water change frequency to rectify deficiencies that encourage BBA to flourish.

Poor CO2 dosing is usually is the culprit after on unknowingly introduces BBA spores into the tank. Once they are introduce, they are there to stay.
    Last edited by greenie; 1st Aug 2014 at 15:16.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

woah. Thanks for the detailed post. Gained lots of insights to this. Where do I get this Seachem Excel? Any LFS?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by neontiger92 View Post
    woah. Thanks for the detailed post. Gained lots of insights to this. Where do I get this Seachem Excel? Any LFS?
    I got mine from C328 fyi

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstalker View Post
    I got mine from C328 fyi
    How much did u get it for?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It's nice to know how bad your BBA infestation by having a picture and describe your tank setup and fert regime if any.

A more precise advice can be given.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Find out what is the cause of the BBA outbreak before you do anything.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by neontiger92 View Post
    You can get it from places like Seaview, C328, Polyart etc. Usually around $10+ a bottle.

Note that Seachem Excel is actually a liquid carbon supplement, which provides plants with an alternative source of carbon to improve their growth... it's not designed to kill algae, but its main active ingredient (glutaraldehyde) has a side effect of killing and inhibiting algae too, so it has become popularly used to deal with those issues.

Have to be careful when overdosing it though, as it can affect plants and livestock.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Is Seachem excel shrimp safe?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by raeburter View Post
    Is Seachem excel shrimp safe?
    At the dosage amounts as recommended on the bottle instructions, it is usually safe for "most" shrimps... but if you are keeping particularly sensitive or delicate shrimps (or expensive ones), then you may want to dose quarter or half dosage first and see if there are any negative effects, if okay then can gradually increase the dosages.

When doing spot treatment using a syringe with concentrate dosages of Excel, do make sure that there are no shrimps on or near the treatment area too, as that can affect them.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 3rd Aug 2014 at 19:16.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    At the dosage amounts as recommended on the bottle instructions, it is usually safe for "most" shrimps... but if you are keeping particularly sensitive or delicate shrimps (or expensive ones), then you may want to dose quarter or half dosage first and see if there are any negative effects, if okay then can gradually increase the dosages.

When doing spot treatment using a syringe with concentrate dosages of Excel, do make sure that there are no shrimps on or near the treatment area too, as that can affect them.
    How often would you recommend the usage of it?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by raeburter View Post
    How often would you recommend the usage of it?
    To assist in overall plant growth, Seachem Excel is meant to be dosed on a daily basis (it only lasts in the water for up to 24 hours), here are some useful product info on it:

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...rishExcel.html

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/FlourishExcel.html

If you use it as spot treatment to kill algae, then its best to limit the amount used for the spot treatment to the recommended daily dosage (at most the initial dosage). Its basically like dosing it for the day, just with a syringe on a few specific spots, as it will still eventually get circulated around the tank by the filter current.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 3rd Aug 2014 at 23:46.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ehh if im not wrong C328 selling at $8 for seachem excel, etc for the small bottle

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Using excel is just addressing the symptoms. To fix the root cause, increase CO2 & water circulation in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i placed an sae. helped with later clearance. heard red nose aka mosquito shrimps do help clear. proven oto and yamato do not.
    no co2 in my 1ft tank.
    dosed daily about 5ml excel and when saw reduction, reduced it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

oh yes, reduced lighting regime too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

May I know if CRS shrimplets are sensitive to it? I dosed it and I can't find any of my newborns! Maybe they are hiding but I'm scared dosing has affected them. I dosed 1ml for a 60l tank at a particular spot.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    To assist in overall plant growth, Seachem Excel is meant to be dosed on a daily basis (it only lasts in the water for up to 24 hours), here are some useful product info on it:

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...rishExcel.html

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/FlourishExcel.html

If you use it as spot treatment to kill algae, then its best to limit the amount used for the spot treatment to the recommended daily dosage (at most the initial dosage). Its basically like dosing it for the day, just with a syringe on a few specific spots, as it will still eventually get circulated around the tank by the filter current.

Bro UA, just wonder whether the liquid will "hit" the infected spot when using the syringe especially when the plants are submerge in water? Would it be more effective to spray directly if we can remove the infested plants? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Goalkeeper View Post
    Bro UA, just wonder whether the liquid will "hit" the infected spot when using the syringe especially when the plants are submerge in water?
    If you switch off the filter and use a syringe to target inject undiluted Excel directly onto the affected areas, you can actually see the Excel solution itself flow in the water, it has a thicker consistency than water so can be quite visible.

Here is the effect when i used it in one of my tanks: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...298#post746298

Quote Originally Posted by Goalkeeper View Post
    Would it be more effective to spray directly if we can remove the infested plants? Thanks.
    Yes, it'll definitely be much easier if you can remove the algae affected plants and either spray or apply the Excel with a brush outside of the tank.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I felt using spot treatment with filter off for a few minutes is safer. Takes a few more days to see the results but at least the plant/leaf 🍃 survived. Saved my Bucephalandra precious leaves before

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast