Country
    Aland Islands

Recommendation for a fish tank maker

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi bro,
    I'm planning to start a new 3ft tank after a 'horrendous' failure on a previous 2.5ft tank that I got from a friend.
    Can you please advise me a reputable tank maker for a 3ft tank and what is the price range like? One of my friend recommend me N30, and the price is around 800 for a 3ft tank but I would like to have a second opinion from you guys too.

Many thanks.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Recommendation for a fish tank maker

$800 for a 3ft tank? That seems way too high... you can get a brand new ready-made standard glass 3ft tank (90x45x45) for around $80-$90, or a high clarity low-iron crystal glass version for around $160-$180. Just check at places like Seaview or Rainbow Aquarium.

If you are getting tanks with standard dimensions then it'll be easier (and usually cheaper) to just get from LFS, unless you are looking to get a tank with special or odd dimensions, then no choice have to custom make.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Other two I heard of is CR and Yong Hua. I had one customised made by CR years ago and they did a good job. Those N30 tanks I saw also very well done. Of course price is steeper. There's also a shop at Lim Chu Kang (inside Fish City) which you can check too. Other option will be to buy second hand from our forum bros who are giving up hobby.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Recommendation for a fish tank maker

Feedback Score
    Country
    Aland Islands

Hi guys,
    Thanks for your reply. So sorry that i was not clear enough earlier. Im looking for tank and wooden cabinet and the price quoted above is inclusive of cabinet. Im planning to spend the weekend to look around. I have looked at the second hand market here but most of the time the good ones are sold before i see it haha too fast and furious

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

For 800++ with tank and cabinet,that is about right. You need to find out what is the thickness of the glass.
    N30 and CR are good tank makers. Usually around that price it will be 322 tank with 10mm glass.
    Like UA suggested if you are on a budget get the ready made one from LSF which is cheaper.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I see... yeah, a tank + cabinet package would be more in line with the quote you got.

You could check with CR Aquarium too, i got all my cabinets done by them and the workmanship is good.

Maybe you can look at getting quotes for just the custom made cabinet (can specify your own design or go for the ADA-style cabinet design), then get the 3ft tank separately from LFS... that might save you some money.

Check at Seaview and Rainbow Aquarium, they have 3ft tanks avaliable... and do look out for the crystal glass braceless ones (hopefully they still have stock of those, the price and workmanship are surprisingly good).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, what about fishy business? Their price seems cheaper. Not sure about their workmanship though... Any bro here got experience?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Aland Islands

I thought Fishy Business only sells premium stuffs? Their stuffs are really nice, especially those display tanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

They do custum make their housebrand tank but not as nice as their ada tanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Aland Islands

yeah, let me check with them and share with you guys the costs for further advices

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    or a high clarity low-iron crystal glass version for around $160-$180. Just check at places like Seaview or Rainbow Aquarium.
    Half price compared to east ocean for 90x45x45? Such a vast difference?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi
    You can also try SunPets at 26 Seletar West Farmway 1. I got my 4ft bracless 12mm thick glass with cabinet for $900. The workmanship is spot on and delivered on time.
    Sometime you pay a little more but you get finish and workmanship. Good luck. :-)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ltsai View Post
    Half price compared to east ocean for 90x45x45? Such a vast difference?
    Yeah, it was a shipment of high-clarity low-iron glass tanks from Rainbow Aquarium that were retailing at those prices, very good deal. I mentioned it in one of the forum threads a while back and a few chaps here managed to buy them too.

So far, i've only spotted those tanks available at Seaview and Rainbow Aquarium. Not sure if they still have anymore stock left, but its worth checking if you are in the market for those type of tanks.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You can try Elite Tanks.

Gerald Pang 94465883

He has a gallery in Arofanatics, nickname 'Tankmaker'.

He did my 6ft tank. Easygoing guy.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Aland Islands

Actually I'm very keen in getting an ADA style cabinet, but apparently Fishy Business is the only place that I know that sells such cabinet. A 3-feet cabinet is going for about $500 there. Do you guys know any other places that sell ADA-style cabinet too ?
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by cowputer View Post
    Actually I'm very keen in getting an ADA style cabinet, but apparently Fishy Business is the only place that I know that sells such cabinet. A 3-feet cabinet is going for about $500 there. Do you guys know any other places that sell ADA-style cabinet too ?
    Thanks.
    Check with CR Aquarium directly to get a quote, they are the ones who actually custom make the ADA-style cabinets... the other LFS just order from them.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 5th Aug 2014 at 16:51.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Aland Islands

Just want to share with you guys. I just called CR Aquarium for the quotation. Surprisingly, their tanks are very affordable They give me a quotaion of 500+ for a 3feet tank + cabinet. The glass is 8mm and comes with 10 years leakage warranty. ADA-style and normal design are at the same price They have a wide variety of color and customization. I will go down to view the tank this Sat

Btw, do you think it's worth to upgrade to 10mm glass if I only keep small fishes and plants?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thats a good quote... i guess you opted for normal glass? If so, then 8mm thickness would be sufficient, since they are willing to give warranty on it too.

One of the reasons why people might choose thicker glass (other than added durability) is to improve insulation, thicker glass helps to reduce heat or cooling loss, so if you use a chiller the tank will be able to stay cooler for longer... but with thicker glass, the clarity may also be reduced slightly and the tank looks abit bulkier and heavier.

10mm thickness glass is usually recommended for 3ft tanks that are made from high-clarity low-iron glass, that type of glass needs the extra thickness for more strength.

Btw, if you are looking at ADA-style cabinet design and want to replicate the cabinet color too, the laminate texture and color that i've found to be closest to it is called "Taurus Grey" (i spent a long time going though their stacks of laminate samples trying to choose the right color too).
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 5th Aug 2014 at 17:26.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Aland Islands

Thanks bro. That's very helpful I will surely go for that "Taurus Grey" to replicate ADA-style cabinet
    Btw, can I side track a little bit. I'm familiar with CO2 and Filter setup for planted tank but not so in lighting equipment because my previous tank comes with built in light.
    Can you advise me:
    1. Do you think LED is strong enough for carpet plants e.g. HC, Glosso. In my previous attempt, my 2 T5 tubes failed to delivery enough light to the bottom carpet and as a result, they keep crawling upwards for light.
    2. If LED light can do the job, do you have any recommendation on the brand, power and price range for the LED light set up for a 3feet tank.

Thanks a bunch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast