Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Plant turning yellow

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Plants turning yellow should i cut the leaf ? if yes i need to cut which part ?

I'm A Newbie Pls Don't Flame Me

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Plant turning yellow

Cut at 2. Watch for more part turning yellow or just this. Maybe a sign of iron deficiency kicking in.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It depend how bad it is, some time it does not need to be cut. Also in bright light some plant turning yellow or even pink. If you have picture of the leaf that would make identification easier.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Shadow made a good point, also have to see if the yellow color is on the old or new leaves... for example like anubias plants, their new baby leaves tend to start off light green/yellow then turn into dark green when they fully develop.

Another example are stem plants like rotala roundifolia, their leaves become yellow (and eventually reddish) when exposed to stronger light, can often see 3 levels of color along the tall stems as they grow closer to the lights... ie. green (bottom stem) -> yellow (middle stem) -> reddish (top stem).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Will it be okay if i let my oto eat the dead leaf(yellowish leaf) ?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

That shouldn't be an issue... though usually when you see an oto grazing on a yellowish dying leaf its actually scrubbing at the algae or bio film covering it, rather than actually eating the dead leaf.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i think i mess up

1week ago

now

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you are referring to the older anubias leaves which have yellowish edges, just cut off those affected leaves. Old leaves don't repair themselves.

Pruning off old or damaged leaves is part of regular plant maintenence and it helps the anubias re-direct resources to growing fresh new healthy leaves.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 15th Aug 2014 at 11:02.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    If you are referring to the older anubias leaves which have yellowish edges, just cut off those affected leaves. Old leaves don't repair themselves.

Pruning off old or damaged leaves is part of regular plant maintenance and it helps the anubias re-direct resources to growing fresh new healthy leaves.
    like this mean i need to cut 75% of my leaves right ?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by takaco View Post
    like this mean i need to cut 75% of my leaves right ?
    If that amount of old leaves are deteriorating, then it'll be best to prune the affected ones off now (instead of later). It'll look abit bare for a while, but anubias plants store most of their nutrients in the rhizome, so as long as the rhizome is healthy, it will be able to re-grow new leaves in time.

I've trimmed all the leaves off some of my new anubias plants before, just left the bare rhizome. After a few days, new leaves begin to sprout out and over the weeks they start to fill back in.

Note that if your anubias was recently bought from an LFS, its leaves would usually be in emersed form, so they will inevitably melt away to give way for submersed leaves anyways.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If that amount of old leaves are deteriorating, then it'll be best to prune the affected ones off now (instead of later). It'll look abit bare for a while, but anubias plants store most of their nutrients in the rhizome, so as long as the rhizome is healthy, it will be able to re-grow new leaves in time.

I've trimmed all the leaves off some of my new anubias plants before, just left the bare rhizome. After a few days, new leaves begin to sprout out and over the weeks they start to fill back in.

Note that if your anubias was recently bought from an LFS, its leaves would usually be in emersed form, so they will inevitably melt away to give way for submersed leaves anyways.
    All old plants i bought it from one of the seller at marketplace, the plant still degrading after i cut the yellow/brown leaves is it because i never put fertilizer ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For anubias, they are low requirement plant. They can survive in a low tech tank.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

All old plants i bought it from one of the seller at marketplace, the plant still degrading after i cut the yellow/brown leaves is it because i never put fertilizer ?
    Maybe you can check with the seller how long the anubias has been in his or her tank? If it's been growing submerged for a while and the leaves have already transitioned to submersed form, then it could sometimes be due to the change in tank conditions which make the plant go through another transition process (the old submerged leaves could still melt, then new adapted leaves grow out).

On the other hand, if you see that that new leaves that grow out look weak or are melting, the it could be a sign of nutrient deficiency (though it tends to be less likely as they have rhizomes which are usually able to supply the needed nutrients for growing new leaves).

You can check this useful chart for reference:

www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

very informative!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hey guy could it be because my light is too strong(hot) 24wx2 for my 2 feet tank causing the plant to turn yellow ?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Warmer water making plants turn yellow would tend to be rather unlikely, unless its in hot water enough to cook the plant like boiling vegetables.

I've had anubias plants in outdoor tanks at 32-33°C and they still grew without issues, no excessive yellowing or melting encountered.

I'd guess if you continue seeing yellowing in all the leaves (both old and new) then it could be some nutrient deficiency, maybe can consider dosing some all-in-one fertilizer like Seachem Flourish, see if it helps to fill in some of the deficiencies (especially the micro/trace nutrients which tend to get used up more quickly in most planted tanks).

Are your other plants also showing the same symptoms or are they still growing well?
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Warmer water making plants turn yellow would tend to be rather unlikely, unless its in hot water enough to cook the plant like boiling vegetables.

I've had anubias plants in outdoor tanks at 32-33°C and they still grew without issues, no excessive yellowing or melting encountered.

I'd guess if you continue seeing yellowing in all the leaves (both old and new) then it could be some nutrient deficiency, maybe can consider dosing some all-in-one fertilizer like Seachem Flourish, see if it helps to fill in some of the deficiencies (especially the micro/trace nutrients which tend to get used up more quickly in most planted tanks).

Are your other plants also showing the same symptoms or are they still growing well?
    Yes not just anubias the rest of my plant turn yellow too, my tank have carbon will it affect thw all in one fertilizer ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What if plant turns black?
    which ingredient is missing?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

my plant's root all turn brown color is there a way to save it ?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

my plant's root all turn brown color is there a way to save it ?
    Probably the roots are getting old so they turn brownish, new roots are usually whitish or light green in color. You can trim off the brown roots to help encourage growth of new roots.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast