Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: What's with the Shrimp & Plants?

What's with the Shrimp & Plants?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    my 4 feet tank is doing well now, all the fish are growing fast, the discus are swimming about (at last!) and the plants are growing and looking nice too. i have two queries though:

1. the plants are growing and looking good, but they aren't really bubbling. the only parts that bubble are from some h. difformis stems that i trimmed. why is this so? is it because the fish are taking in too much oxygen, thus there is no oxygen saturation for bubbles to form? to add: i think co2 injection is definitely sufficient, otherwise there wouldn't be bubbling from the stems right?

2. although everything else is fine, 1-2 (or maybe even more) malayan shrimp are dying everyday, and they usually die at night. why is this so? i doubt the fish attack them, otherwise their bodies would be long gone. but what i see is 1-2 dead shrimps everyday. also, i bought 200 shrimp to add to the tank last week, but i don't actually see more than 10 when i look at the tank. could they be hiding or dead?

would appreciate all the help and replies.
    thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    1a) How much is your CO2 anyway? What ppm roughly? Or at least tell us your bubble rate and diffusing method.
    1b) Bubbling or no bubbling from cut stems is a very unreliable indication
    your co2 injection sufficiency. All it really proves is that your plants have some gas stored.
    1c) Is your water surface agitated?

2a) Fishes, discus especially, can attack shrimp. Even if they do not eat them immediately, they might harass the shrimps enough during the day that the shrimps just dun make it through the night?
    2b) Is your CO2 on at night as well? Co2 poisoning at night maybe
    2c) Or else lack of O2 at night if your plants didn't photosynthesize well enough during the day.
    2d) Or if you are turning off your CO2 at nigt, then maybe the your water is too soft relative to your Co2 injection, so your shrimos are dying from pH fluctuation?
    2e) Its could be that your BB cannot handle the sudden introduction of the 200 shrimp bioload, so your N levels are rising and its pretty well-known that shrimps tend to be much more susceptible to this than fishes.
    Oh, the rare old Whale, mid storm and gale. In his ocean home will be. A giant in might, where might is right. And King of the boundless sea.