Country
    Singapore

How to grow Nanas and ferns?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

This may be a silly question. But I have a 2 feet tank with only nanas and java ferns (Nanas and ferns tied to drift wood). I am trying to make a low maintenance tank. I read that Nanas and ferns are the easiest to grow...

However, after about 2 months, the nanas and ferns are turning dark green and ugly. The ferns are not growing at all. In fact, they are becoming "shrinkly".

I am using a 36W PL lamp and CO2 (2 bubbler per second) from a cannister tank. ADA aquasoil. No fan and only a few angel fish. The tank wall also gets a lot of spot algae. I DO NOT dose liquid fert....

Any tips to grow them all green and lush? Please help.. thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if im not wrong, nanas dont require high lightings.. mine died due to high lightings.. haha. maybe u can also play ard with the temp. plants do better with a lower temp.
    Founder of theWaterBox

Hi,
    Since you said that this is a low maintenance tank, your co2 should be lowered. 2 bubbles per second of co2 for a 2ft tank is quite high, that explains the spot algae.
    Nana and java ferns also do not need that much co2, since they are low maintenance too.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'd reduce the lighting wattage ( or, reduce the lighting period. ) and get a fan. Liquid ferts, I think it is necessary, since the nanas and ferns that you mentioned do not have roots in the gravel. They thus need to get their elements from the water and that is where liquid fert comes in

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

I don't agreed that lighting is the problem. I also had nanas and ferns in my 3 ft high light planted tank. Initially, they start of slow but once it got adapted to the light, it grow very fast and dense. Of course, other factors need to be satified as well such as co2 level and nutrients.

As for the green spot algae. I think you need to check out your co2 level, judging by the bubble rate is not accurate because the way you dissolve the co2 varies. you may also wan to work on your nutrients once you get the co2 and lighting right. i suspected that the lack of po4 could be the likely reason.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Any idea on the best and fastest way to grow new shoots of nanas? By leaving it alone or through rhizome division?

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to grow Nanas and ferns?

[quote:8a01a5fe3e="erwinseow"]Hi all,

This may be a silly question. But I have a 2 feet tank with only nanas and java ferns (Nanas and ferns tied to drift wood). I am trying to make a low maintenance tank. I read that Nanas and ferns are the easiest to grow...

However, after about 2 months, the nanas and ferns are turning dark green and ugly. The ferns are not growing at all. In fact, they are becoming "shrinkly".

I am using a 36W PL lamp and CO2 (2 bubbler per second) from a cannister tank. ADA aquasoil. No fan and only a few angel fish. The tank wall also gets a lot of spot algae. I DO NOT dose liquid fert....

Any tips to grow them all green and lush? Please help.. thanks![/quote:8a01a5fe3e]

You got to first decide whether this is going to be a low maintenance tank. If so, remove the CO2 totally. You then will depend on feeding your fishes to supplement the nutrients. You can also do away with water change.

If you decide to use CO2, you have to ensure that the CO2 level is maintained at 20-30ppm. You have to add fertilisers, including NO3 & PO4. Regular water change is needed.

Do not go "in-between", you will have lousy growing plant and algae.

BC