Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Java moss turning yellow/brown

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am colour blind, so I didn't realise that my java moss are turning yellow/brown until some of my friends pointed it out. Picture for your reference:

http://i.imgur.com/n3edHi9.jpg

I am pretty sure that this is due to insufficient light, because I haven't been using my overhead lighting at all ever since I set up this tank. I have been dosing Seachem Flourish and Flourish Excel. What should I do to remedy this situation? Are the yellow/brown parts going to rot away?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Java moss turning yellow/brown

Yeah, thats just the old or damaged fronds melting... although without much light moss can still "survive", but they also wouldn't grow much too. The fertilizer and liquid carbon you dose wouldn't be utilized effectively if there is insufficient light for the plants to photosynthesize properly anyways.

Your solution would just be to switch on the aquarium lights for a few hours a day to provide light for the moss to photosynthesize and grow fresh new fronds.

Do try to remove as much of the brown parts to clean it up abit, helps to reduce the accumulation of rotting plant matter in the tank too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com