Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: 6 watts per gallon! am i nuts?!

6 watts per gallon! am i nuts?!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just replanted my miniture tank,
    i got 6.5 watts of PL lighting per gallon (45 watts) over a 30x30x30cm cube (27L)!! I just want to make sure my glosso grows sideways! will post pics tommorow for all to see!

Has anyone tried this much lighting in a tank? am i going to grow an algae farm????!!!

to be continued.... . .

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    amano does tht
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    too much light for a mini tank is a headache, since the water volume is small.. best to change water more often

becareful for the water condition since I have a 20cm cube tank and have a 30W PL light for it and algae occur very easy and can I know what filter are u using?

I think 27W will be a good choice for your size

Please have a look for my friend tank, he is a big fans for miniture tank

http://www.aqugrass.com/gallery/Sean-Aqua

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    the main thing is not to over fertilize... u will lose interest in small tank once water change becomes a chore and algae BLOOMS! so put in a place where water change is convenient... preferbly higher above ground... if not hose have no pressure diff... haha.... i kens before... put my mini cube on the floor... then dunnoe how to change water!!!

*its still on the floor*[]

i guess the most important thing is to make sure you keep the water balanced.. over fertilizing will cause an algae bloom, but its been running for almost 4 days now and growth is explosive! bubbling like crazy!
    koman, those miniture tanks are amazing! im setting up another 2 to go beside my 1.. using an eheim filter (liberty ~ over the back one to save space.. would like to change to a canister, but i want soemting small)

!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Heard the liberty medias has to be change every 3 mths. the Slot thing. i have a liberty 100.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    here is the guy that inspired me with his mini tanks

Aquascaping realm

re: liberty filter
    i sort of re-configured the media within the liberty.. i don't use the carbon drop in, but i leave the bio-sponge in.. i also shoved some filter floss and some other media (bio stuff in a bag) ... i find this is much better than the stock configuration... i also keep the flow rate very low for my small tanks.. works well, however, i still worry about Co2 loss, but im kind of overdosing the co2 anyways

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes for the liberty i'm doing what u are actually doing too..i find its much better having more floss this will also help to slow the flow rate
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If lights are too strong, can use some floating plants to provide some shade. Eg Frogbit, Salvinia. They are fasy growing and so can absorb excess nutrients.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ubergoober,
    then u dun use charcoal???
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

hi kels,
    no, i took it out and shoved a bag of bio media in its place to suplement the foam media., in front of that, i've got a bunch of very fine filter floss.. seems to work very well...., does anyone know the effect of this kind of filter (at a very flow low rate) on CO2 outgassing?

Thanks!
    Casey

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi ubergoober, whats the temperature of your tank?