1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: mUAr_cHEe’s Piece of River

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I saw some big pieces at rainbow but not branchy type. Quite nice though. JZX have some ready sinked woods this weekend for sale. But let me buy first before you head down.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Where is JZX?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Amk. Search google or Facebook will have

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Block 711, Ang Mo Kio Central 2, #01-3501F, Singapore (560711).
    Tel: +65 6455 5675 HP: +65 9040 7842
    Opening Hours: 1pm - 9pm daily (closed on alternate Wednesday)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks. Just visited their FB page. *POISONED*

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I've seen some of these "driftwood" while strolling around krangi dam area. Rather big pieces . not sure if they would do for your tank?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wow, 4ft planted i.e. deep pockets! All the best!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Any updates?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hit a few road blocks.

1. Turns out that my pockets are quite shallow.
    2. A few complications came up at work. (Thats why you see less of me here as well.)
    3. Been going around LFS but cannot find the right pieces of wood. I was almost tempted to buy a bigger piece and carve out on my own.

This is killing me but I believe patience is key. Any piece of art that is rushed and not done with 100% effort will not turn out well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Managed to clear some road blocks. Stay tuned for more updates.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi mUAr_cHEe,

For driftwood, I have discovered that Qian Hu seems to be the right place to source due to the fact that they charge by weight. If what you have gathered now do not gives you your preferred "brunch out", you may want to drop by Qian Hu and buy small "brunches" by weight to add on to your collection. These "small brunches" torned off from big ones usually are without the main core, this results in very light weight and you can actually get plenty of them at a very good price. If you are lucky, you may even get a large piece(without heavy main core) at good price due to its weight. But please check with them that they have enough stock before you visit. Sometimes they only left a few and you may end up wasting your long journey there. Just in case you are wondering which type of driftwood I am referring to, it is the somewhat "ADA approved" type which hardly discolor the water ones.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you for the tip. I managed to find a place with the perfect wood pieces that I am looking for. Now I am just waiting delivery of the tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My road blocks have all not completely cleared but I have decided to bite the bullet. I have ordered my tank and delivery will be sometime next week.

Despite the meticulous planning I did, it looks like plans will change. Initially, I wanted a simple woodscape with not too much huge-bodied wood pieces. These huge pieces usually helps in the creation of dead spots. Recently, I spoke to my uncle and it turns out that he was letting go some of the drift wood that he had. Those belong to both him and his brother-in-law. He had a 5 feet and his brother-in-law had a 6 feet tank. Both of them are not restarting this hobby anytime soon. Happily, I trotted down to his place and pick up the drift woods. He had 5 HUGE pieces. I changed my mind about no huge pieces and decided to take them for many reasons. Number 1 reason: they are free. I stay true to my Singaporean nature and will take whatever that is free. Jokes aside, the pieces all had interesting shapes and texture. I can envision them to be another great tank that I saw although it is palladium setup. There are many crevices, nooks and crannies for moss to grow out from. My uncle had a few other smaller pieces which I of course took as well since he is clearing space at home too. I gratefully helped him cleared space at his home, lugged all the drift-wood home and started getting to work. Its a win-win for both of us.

These are some of the pieces that I brought. The pieces are all beautiful individually but it was quite a challenge putting them together to achieve the look that I was going for. I had to pack up earlier yesterday as my family was expecting visitors in the later part of the afternoon. I chose 3 of the pieces that I knew will definitely go into the tank, started stuffing some weeping moss in some the crevices and then soak them in the tub. I did not have the time to pictorially document the process this time.

Back to work for now and will be giving some thought in redesigning the tankscape.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You need a bigger tank

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by matashi View Post
    You need a bigger tank
    Might as well say order another tank.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mUAr_cHEe View Post
    My road blocks have all not completely cleared but I have decided to bite the bullet. I have ordered my tank and delivery will be sometime next week.

Despite the meticulous planning I did, it looks like plans will change.
    That is a lot of wood for 4ft....
    are you changing the tank size too....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

No. I am not changing tank size. I will not be using all the wood for this set up. I am just picking and choosing which pieces I want.

With these driftwoods, I am inspired now to create a kind of driftwood wall background. I am still tossing some ideas around. This is what I have planned right now.

Plant choices remain the same but I am thinking of adding a taller foreground plant to try to provide a softer transition from the carpet foreground to the background plants/wall.

Have anyone here have the experience of growing HC/Glosso/Hairgrass side by side? Would the plants be territorial and try to grow over each other?

I have decided to run 2 canisters to try to provide a better water flow within the tank. I am considering to run 2 Eheim 350 but I have not quite decided between the Ecco or the Professional series. One of the tank output would go through a chiller and the other through a CO2 reactor. One of the outputs would be the provided Eheim Rain Bar. It would be submerged, placed as near to the bottom as possible and pointed upwards towards the surface. The rain bar would be placed behind the wall for the primary purpose to reduce the amount of dead spots in the tank. I intend to run the CO2 outlet here and I would place the chiller/Lily pipe outlet above it to spread the ‘carbonated’ water together with the chilled water.

Inlets are of course placed at the other end of the tank spread out to ensure a good water exchange. I am considering to place the together just to try to make the tank look as natural as possible.

Any inputs here would be most appreciated. Need to get all these details worked out before the tank arrives.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

why not pair each inlet/outlet together?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast