Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Mr. Amano's approach at lighting (from AGA)

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Mr. Amano's approach at lighting (from AGA)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Anyone know what the common lighting practices are in Japan?
    http://aquaticplantcentral.com/forum...pic.php?t=3241

One thing that Amano mentioned at ADA seemed to strike a fancy with several people. It seams that he only uses really high light for only a small part of the lighting period.

For example: On the ~ 50g tank (90x45x45cm) that was demo'd at AGA, there was a fixture that had independend lights: 2x36 PC and 1x150 MH. Amano said that he would run the PC's about 10-12hours a day an only run the MH for 3-4 hours. I forget the whole explaination, but it had to do with supplying really high lighting only for a period of time that the plants would be able to fully utilize it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    They do utilize it if you supply the plants with enough nutrients/CO2.

Less light, even if you only turn the high light on for a few hours helps give more wiggle room with dosing. Thus algae.

You can also achieve similar results with less lighting without a high noon effect.

I do it when I use HQI lights with PC's, but those are expensive bulbs, overlit tanks, heats the tank up too much, uses more electric etc.

Few folks have HQI/MH's and PC together.

You can do the same with a bank of PC lights though, turn 1-55w, then 2x55, then 3x55 etc.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Hi Tom,

I am caught in the dillema here on lighting , either on MH or PL. Currently my 6ft tank running on 3 x 150w MH for 10 hrs with chiller. Follow the fert dosing base on chuck's dosing calculator , I am constantly fighting with the spot algae on my front glass, and some of the plants. Other the other hand, if I am using PL tubes to achieve the require lighting, the frequency of changes of bulbs (6 mths) vs MH of 2 yrs , and inconvenience of switching and blocking during pruning as the PL lights have to put very very close on the tank top vs MH which can be hung up at least 1ft above the water.

What is your opinion and your choice ? If I want maintain the MH (150w each), what is your recommendation for me to improve the condition of the tank ? appreciate your comment. Thank you

List some of my tank parameter :
    - dimension : 6x2x2
    - dKH : 4
    - PH : 6.4 (during photo period)
    - CO2 : 47
    - CO2 injection : 2 hrs before lighting, 30 mins before end of lighting period
    - water temperature : 25 deg c with chiller
    - filteration : cannister ~2000+L/H (using eheim 2260) with biohome,bioball
    - lighting : 3 x 150w MH, 10 hrs daily
    - bioload : ~150 x 1-1.5inch fishes plus 30-40 cherry shrimps
    - dosing (twice weekly) :each time dose => 10 ppm NO3 (KNO3), 1 ppm of PO4 (KH2PO4), 7 ppm K (K2SO4), 7 ppm Mg (MgSO4 ), 0.26ppm Fe DPTA (Rexolin APN) which include other staff (Mn,B,Zn,Cu,Mo,Co,vitamins). 1 ppm PO4 dose each time because of highlighting. My NO3 usually hoovering around 20ppm (using Sera test kit).
    - plants : nana, java fern, java fern willov, xmas moss, crypt, HC, Ech. Oriental, Ericaulon SP, mermaid weed,etc
    - water change : 20% weekly with declorine solution
    - water circulation : with additional power head
    - UV light : after scrapping green spot algae off the glass, did not dose fert. Run the 9V UV light for one day. A day after that then I shall dose the fert as mentioned above.

Cheers
    Chok

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    PL lights are what wattage?

Sounds like you might have either too little PO4 or/and too little CO2.

One or both.
    Less light will place stress on these two, but you still be able to work on things at the high level of light anyway, then when you step down, you will have very good robust system that will be very stable.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

PL lights are what wattage?
    I am currently using 3 x 150w MH light. What I was referring to was if the the similar PL light wattage 400+ w will be required if using PL. The cost of changing the number of PL tubes every 6 months may be too costly over long run vs MH light bulb change every 2 yrs. What will be your preference , PL or MH ?

Sounds like you might have either too little PO4 or/and too little CO2.
    Too little on PO4 or CO2 ?? Currently I am dosing 1ppm PO4 each time twice each week. CO2 is around 47ppm as the calculator from 4 dKH and 6.4 PH. Am I too low in anyone of these two for my highlighting situation ?

One or both.
    Less light will place stress on these two, but you still be able to work on things at the high level of light anyway, then when you step down, you will have very good robust system that will be very stable.
    Sorry didn't really get what you meant here regarding "step down". DO you mean reducing my lighting period , lighting wattage , dosing of PO4 , or CO2 ? If I want to maintain my 150w MH, what will be your recommendation for me to establish the balance condition in my tank. Appreciate your valuable comment . Thank you.