2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hailea HS28a chiller

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Recently bought the above and considering doing an external temp probe after reading the difference in temp between the main tank water and chiller in chiller reviews. Got a thermometer to "test" this difference. But to my surprise the chiller temp reading is same or close to the thermometer reading. For example I happen to read the chiller reading of 27.5 today and the thermometer is also half way between 27 and 28 degree Celsius. Is this a coincidence or does that mean the chiller is working accurately and I don't need to have an external probe? Am a bit reluctant to do so because 1) not sure how to do it though saw some instructions online and 2) think warranty no longer valid. Got an one year warranty from the shop. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hailea HS28a chiller

The purpose of doing the modification is that you are not at the mercy of your pump flowrate. In some case, user would experienced the dreaded stop start function of the chiller. This is due to the pump flowrate not matching what the chiller required. If you have a too fast pump flowrate, it would suck in cold water faster than the chilled water could chill the tank water ( depending on your placement of outlet and inlet tube ). Or if it's too slow, the sensor in the chiller tank would register that the water has already been chilled to the required temperature and prematurely stop its operation.

With the external temperature probe modification, you are not at the mercy of purchasing or using your current pump. BUT there is a minimum flowrate required and that is it should not go below 500lt per hour as it might create a dead zone area in your tank.

The dreaded stop start occur when the chiller internal probe registered that it has chilled the water to the setting the user has programmed but actually it was an error reading. My deduction on the reason why this happen is either the pump flowrate is too fast or the water is not moved quick enough that the chiller internal reservoir probe registered the cooler water from its own internal tank instead of from the incoming water.

The gremlin is in the water reservoir of the chiller.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks bro. Sounds like having the external temp probe is a must to ensure it's effective.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Its a suggested solution to the dreaded stop start problem due to an underperformed or over powered pump.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks...think I'll get it done. Wonder where can I buy it from?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Look at the sticky thread above.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Its a suggested solution to the dreaded stop start problem due to an underperformed or over powered pump.
    curious, this is a known problem for ages , why dont chiller manufacturer add the external probe feature ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I can't answer this question. I even experienced this problem before. The solution that I stumbled upon was due to purchasing a 2nd hand chiller that came with this external attachment. I experimented with a few external pump that I have at that time and found out that the lowest flow rate to use is 500lt per hour. This low flowrate is subjected to the tank size. The chiller brand is Sfiligoi.